KECES PCM2702 USB DAC
Jun 24, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #166 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah. Would be happy if someone can give a A/B comparisons of KECES and MHDT lab product.

Well, I do have a few review units around, and if anyone's interested, let me know and I can have a review unit sent for comparison (for folks within North America).

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #168 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any1 tried this DAC with Grados yet? comments?

I've used the Keces 131 extensively with Grado's, and it's a GREAT combo. I'll chime in soon, I'm giving my ears plenty of time to absorb the combo.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #169 of 172
I am using ZERO Dac which I find the taste not to my liking. Can I try your KECES or Paradisea for a comparisons. I would be able to post the review and help you to sell your product in Malaysia.

do pm me.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #170 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using ZERO Dac which I find the taste not to my liking. Can I try your KECES or Paradisea for a comparisons. I would be able to post the review and help you to sell your product in Malaysia.

do pm me.

Hello, the review unit is in US, thus it is not as convenient to have the reviewer ship it outside of north America at the moment. Please note that I have no association with MHDT thus I do not have any of their products.

Thanks.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #171 of 172
I received this unit about 2 weeks ago and it has been plugged in continuously since then. I listen about 3-4hrs a day at work depending on the day, so I think it has "broken-in" or maybe I have.

My system details are:
  1. Keces 151 DAC
  2. Windows PC running Foobar 2000
  3. USB-Audio ASIO driver 2.6.1
  4. Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline "The Hornet" Headphone Amp
  5. Shure SE530 IEM phones

I am not really a hardcore Head-Fi person, but my work situation makes it so that I listen to music over phones for long periods each day. I have a nice 2 channel setup at home and listen to all sorts of music.

The Keces replaces an Edirol UA-25 unit that I want to use for home room measurements. The Edirol UA-25 is not really used as a stand alone DAC, but it is a good, linear unit. It was on the dry side with good, but not spectacular bass.

The Keces 151 improves on the Edirol in a few important ways - noise floor. This is just a very quiet unit. I hear no analog hiss at normal limits - and even turned all the way up with a paused song, it is faint hiss (and this could be the Emmeline - I do not know).

How would I describe the sound - buttery and smooth with lots of detail and impact. This DAC makes digital sound very smooth. However at the same time, there is no smearing, loss of detail or transient impact. The SE530 are great phones for Bass, and the KECES provides plenty of oomph there. Drums really do thud and shy of the visceral feel of speakers, does a very good job - tracks like Basement Jaxx, etc always impress. The transients are also very good - snares really snap. Things that have pop in the recording really come across that way. At the same time, even with loud, busy tracks, you can hear all the details of the many tracks coming together. The character of the sound probably would fall on the warm side of neutral based on a rich midrange. The highs are clear without being piercing.

I found with the Edirol UA-25 that long listening sessions would be fatiguing - the KECES 151 is much better in this regard. I can listen much longer without listener fatigue. In my experience this means that the highs and "digital" harshness is tamed.

Another hint to prospective buyers is to use the ASIO driver. I tried this unit with the default USB speaker setup under Windows. After a week I decided to try ASIO drivers (I used the Edirol this way). The ASIO was just better in my opinion - clearer, fuller, better. It seemed to help with detail and impact. So I would recommend people looking at the USB-Audio driver (which I liked more than the ASIO4All one). It costs more, but I think it is worth it if you spend a lot of time on headphones.

Hope that helps people understand this unit better - sorry I do not have 3 other units with which to compare, but one data point is better than none.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #172 of 172
Doing research atm as my old ISP "found" the router I returned to them after I pulled my poker face, so I now have £100 to put towards audio instead
dt880smile.png

Interesting post mamsterla. I myself am running with
Laptop -> Edirol UA-25 -> RCA out -> RSA Tomahawk

This is pending some kind of future where I can afford a home dac+home amp lol

I find the Tomahawk *fixes* some of the bad qualities of the Edirol quite well; wider soundstage, bass has more impact and definition and highs are tamed

Of course I have no other apple or orange to compare to either sound card or amp so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back