KECES PCM2702 USB DAC
Jan 21, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #136 of 172
Well, we'll see what we can do.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #138 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are thinking about balanced output for our DAC, but wondering what would be a good price point for such a DAC?

Since if we added balanced out, we might as well also add some other features like digital signal conditioning, USB+SPDIF universal input, even better PSU, high quality headphone output and so on. Just wondering what would be a good spot for such a DAC, and how much feature could we squeeze in within a specified budget.

One thing tho, if we add USB+SPDIF input, it would be using another DAC chip of much higher quality than either PCM2702/1793. Proper care and attention will be taken for the supporting circuits of those chip, and thus may get a little costly.
wink.gif

Very good idea, Just what a computer user needs and nothing more, will be significantly cheaper than say a Benchmark or an Apogee?

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #139 of 172
We need lower-cost Balanced out DAC! T_T

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #140 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are thinking about balanced output for our DAC, but wondering what would be a good price point for such a DAC?

Since if we added balanced out, we might as well also add some other features like digital signal conditioning, USB+SPDIF universal input, even better PSU, high quality headphone output and so on. Just wondering what would be a good spot for such a DAC, and how much feature could we squeeze in within a specified budget.

One thing tho, if we add USB+SPDIF input, it would be using another DAC chip of much higher quality than either PCM2702/1793. Proper care and attention will be taken for the supporting circuits of those chip, and thus may get a little costly.
wink.gif

How about offering a cost effective USB only or SPDIF only DAC that just focuses on pure SQ.

So build it around a high end chip but cut out unnecessary inputs/outputs in order to save money for consumers who just want to listen to the very best stereo music from their computer
and nothing else.

Focus on quality rather than portability so that no space contraints to compromise quality of parts used.

Include all the tricks you can think of to reduce jitter and price it right .

I would buy that in a heartbeat to replace my current DA-151.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #141 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by natnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about offering a cost effective USB only or SPDIF only DAC that just focuses on pure SQ.

So build it around a high end chip but cut out unnecessary inputs/outputs in order to save money for consumers who just want to listen to the very best stereo music from their computer
and nothing else.

Focus on quality rather than portability so that no space contraints to compromise quality of parts used.

Include all the tricks you can think of to reduce jitter and price it right .

I would buy that in a heartbeat to replace my current DA-151.

Not a bad idea, and in fact something I have been thinking about building as a DIY. From what I have read so far, a really good sounding simple system would be like the DIY modules that Twisted Pear Audio offers. The idea would be to offer a complete product with these for the non-DIY types:

1) PCM2707 USB DAC chip using I2S to communicate to the

2) Wolfson WM8741 or WM8740 DAC which outputs a differential audio signal

3) and an optional simple circuit for converting the differential signal to single ended, using socketed OPAmps so that folks can use whatever OPAmps sound best to them.

Will

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #142 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make something similar to the Benchmark DAC1 USB, but with 2x PCM1704 per channel, and you'll have a winner.
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
Holy, that alone would cost like US$100 for the DAC chips only...

I do have something similar to the basic idea of Benchmark DAC1 in mind, but I personally do not like AD1896 ASRC way of reducing jitter. Of course, it will have both XLR and RCA output, in addition to the other regular stuff.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #143 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a bad idea, and in fact something I have been thinking about building as a DIY. From what I have read so far, a really good sounding simple system would be like the DIY modules that Twisted Pear Audio offers. The idea would be to offer a complete product with these for the non-DIY types:

1) PCM2707 USB DAC chip using I2S to communicate to the

2) Wolfson WM8741 or WM8740 DAC which outputs a differential audio signal

3) and an optional simple circuit for converting the differential signal to single ended, using socketed OPAmps so that folks can use whatever OPAmps sound best to them.

Will

1) Well, I'm thinking about using I2S, but the problem would be that if you want to use I2S from USB in addition to I2S from SPDIF receiver, the multiplexer used to switch between two I2S input may not be as fast as it needs to be. (I'm testing that now...) Not to mention that the sound might be a little different when there's a multiplexer working as USB/SPDIF selector.

2) I'm thinking about DAC from other than wolfson, but it will still have differential output.

3) no need for conversion, since either positive phase or negative signal can work as single end output. As for OP-Amps, there will still be op-amps. However, I'm thinking about the advantage of using a socket or soldered directly. Since direct soldering will ensure better sonic performance than socketed, but socketed could allow user to simply have fun with their DAC. Hummm...

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #148 of 172
Mine is coming soon...I've got about 600 hours on her..I got her on 1/14 and she's been burning in since...can't wait to give a review, but I promised 800 hours!!!!!

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #149 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is coming soon...I've got about 600 hours on her..I got her on 1/14 and she's been burning in since...can't wait to give a review, but I promised 800 hours!!!!!

Way cool.
wink.gif

I might be off the air for a few days due to Chinese New year here, might be back just in time for the review.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #150 of 172
No offence, but... isnt 800 hours of burn-in a little bit blown out of proportions for mere DAC electronics burn-in time?
confused.gif
But anyway, looking forward for more KECES reviews, and especially comparisons to other similar priced or costlier DACs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back