KECES PCM2702 USB DAC
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not call this an low end unit, if you consider it low end because of the price, well I guess it was my fault in trying to keep the final selling price low.

Yeah, sorry... poor choice of words on my behalf. I don't mean to denigrate a product I haven't heard! I guess I meant it more from a price point of view (the price is excellent), but can see how some might assume I mean sound quality.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 172
Quote:

Well, I'm the guy selling it on Ebay, if you would like, a plain top cover can be used instead, no additional charge for that. But do check with us for stock availability if anyone wants it that way.

Yeah, personally I prefer a plain top so it's nice that you offer the option. I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to purchase one.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the looks of DA-131!

Give us some spec love!
wink.gif

Alright, here's a condensed version of the RMAA test result, please note that this is tested with EMU's 1212M, it can only get better with better testing equiptments, as we are regularly hitting the max on our test setup :p

Well, here's the "picturized" version of the test summary :p

summaryda131so6.png

I prefer to look at the 20~20KHz frequency response, as I feel it is more demanding in a good way, anything beyond that would be nice, but not really required :p
The 20~20KHz frequency response is -0.09, + 0.01
smily_headphones1.gif

There was an earlier version of this DAC that use Crystal's CS8414 for receiving, the designer felt that there is no difficulty in switching to CS8416, and he would be getting 192KHz receiving capability as a bonus, thus he switched to the newer receiver IC on this version.

The DAC used is BurrBrown's PCM1793, with its balanced voltage output, the signal is sent to the OP stage (Currently using OPA604, but it is in a socket, and you can change that to any other FET input/single OP that is pin compatible) that basically cancel out the DC bias from the DAC without using any capacitor coupling.

Each device on the board have their own power supply regulator, CS8416 have one, PCM1793 have two, and the LPF/OP stage have their own +/- supply on a separate transformer winding even.

Anything you guys would like to know?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sorry... poor choice of words on my behalf. I don't mean to denigrate a product I haven't heard! I guess I meant it more from a price point of view (the price is excellent), but can see how some might assume I mean sound quality.

Hey, no worries
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for your comments too.
smily_headphones1.gif

From a personal point of view, I would like to hear about what our product didn't do well, and knowing where it didn't do well means that I can figure out a way to fix that and make it even better. IMHO, only people who cared enough would comment on what to improve, and I appreciate every word of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do both DACs compare to each other?

Will there be a USB version of DA-131 coming out?

It would be hard to compare since the digital source feeding both DAC are not going to be the same, but it wouldn't be hard for DA-131 to win in almost every department, and with a different output style, DA-131 have the advantage of direct coupling instead of USB DAC's capacitor coupling. The major effect of this difference would be more details and better low end power/control as well as mid and upper end details.

USB DAC's upgrade is also in the plan, but with the upgrade, the price will not stay at the current level either. For those looking for a bargain, the current USB DAC is a good buy.

We believe that the spec of the future USB DAC will not be too far off from the current test results, since it is mostly limited by the sample size and sample rate this chip can handle. But the spec and how will that be done is still not been finalized yet.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #22 of 172
Quote:

Alright, here's a condensed version of the RMAA test result, please note that this is tested with EMU's 1212M, it can only get better with better testing equiptments, as we are regularly hitting the max on our test setup :p

Well, here's the "picturized" version of the test summary :p

summaryda131so6.png

I prefer to look at the 20~20KHz frequency response, as I feel it is more demanding in a good way, anything beyond that would be nice, but not really required :p
The 20~20KHz frequency response is -0.09, + 0.01
smily_headphones1.gif

There was an earlier version of this DAC that use Crystal's CS8414 for receiving, the designer felt that there is no difficulty in switching to CS8416, and he would be getting 192KHz receiving capability as a bonus, thus he switched to the newer receiver IC on this version.

The DAC used is BurrBrown's PCM1793, with its balanced voltage output, the signal is sent to the OP stage (Currently using OPA604, but it is in a socket, and you can change that to any other FET input/single OP that is pin compatible) that basically cancel out the DC bias from the DAC without using any capacitor coupling.

Each device on the board have their own power supply regulator, CS8416 have one, PCM1793 have two, and the LPF/OP stage have their own +/- supply on a separate transformer winding even.

Anything you guys would like to know?
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very tempted to try the DA-131 in my computer setup in combination with my M-audio transit.
There is just one detail you don't mention on your website: what are the dimensions of the case?

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #23 of 172
I'm using M-Audio transit too, but I found that it isn't quiet enough (maybe my computer power supply sucks)....
so, I'm worry that SQ from

M-Audio transit --> DA-131

won't be better than

USB --> PCM2702 USB DAC

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #24 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very tempted to try the DA-131 in my computer setup in combination with my M-audio transit.
There is just one detail you don't mention on your website: what are the dimensions of the case?

The dimention is
215mm wide
205mm deep
80mm tall

This is just off the top of my head, but it should be within 10mm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using M-Audio transit too, but I found that it isn't quiet enough (maybe my computer power supply sucks)....
so, I'm worry that SQ from

M-Audio transit --> DA-131

won't be better than

USB --> PCM2702 USB DAC

Well, I can't say much about M-Audio's transit, as I have never tried it. However, I think this comes down to your future plans, if there are any need for a SPDIF DAC or are you planning on upgrading your Transit, then DA-131 is the way to go.

If you do no think you will need a SPDIF DAC anytime soon, then USB DAC is the clean and neat way to go about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 172
Quote:

Well, I can't say much about M-Audio's transit, as I have never tried it. However, I think this comes down to your future plans, if there are any need for a SPDIF DAC or are you planning on upgrading your Transit, then DA-131 is the way to go.

If you do no think you will need a SPDIF DAC anytime soon, then USB DAC is the clean and neat way to go about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

what's the benefit of running this off of a firewire or usb soundcard and then amping it versus just putting the soundcard to the amp?

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #27 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the benefit of running this off of a firewire or usb soundcard and then amping it versus just putting the soundcard to the amp?

It is easier to get cleaner power when you don't have to source it from the computer.

That is one of the reason that our USB DAC only use the USB 5V for detecting the presence of USB connection and nothing else. The power used are all coming from the transformer and regulation circuit in the DAC itself.

smily_headphones1.gif

We actually tried to use USB's 5V, just for kicks... and that was not something we are about to repeat again. :p It is not impossible to get good sound without using external power supply, but it requires a massive effort that it would be more worthwhile to spend the effort on external power supply.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #28 of 172
Quote:

It is easier to get cleaner power when you don't have to source it from the computer.

That is one of the reason that our USB DAC only use the USB 5V for detecting the presence of USB connection and nothing else. The power used are all coming from the transformer and regulation circuit in the DAC itself.

let's cut to the point then.

how is this better than what i already have?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Solo-main.html

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #30 of 172
Hi there maniac, your product sounds interesting. Here in Melbourne where I live there is a bunch of tweakers called Burson Audio who make discrete op amps: http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_HDAM_Module.htm

How do you think these would go in the output stage of your SPDIF dac? Maybe we could set up some sort of test - it adds a bit to the price but it looks to my inexperienced eye like the case for your unit might be able to accomodate them.

Incidently, what is the output impedence of your dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back