KECES DA-131.1 - It is here!
Sep 8, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #16 of 27
My source, as stated above, is a Squeezebox Duet. I will probably be adding a DVD transport as well, as soon as I find one with a small footprint that isn't too expensive.

I don't have a coax S/PDIF cable at the moment, but I do intend to buy one from SignalCable soon.

--Jerome

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 27
Ok guyz, potentially dumb question, but as I am unfamiliar with KECES DACs, I will ask anyway. I am looking to upgrade my Entech 203.2 Number Cruncher. Could the DA-131.1 be considered much of an upgrade from the Entech? I would probably get one of their power cables as well. Refer to signature below for my other stuff. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guyz, potentially dumb question, but as I am unfamiliar with KECES DACs, I will ask anyway. I am looking to upgrade my Entech 203.2 Number Cruncher. Could the DA-131.1 be considered much of an upgrade from the Entech? I would probably get one of their power cables as well. Refer to signature below for my other stuff. Thanks in advance for your advice.

There are some who had comment on the sonic differences of DA-151 and Entech 203.2 at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/re...ml#post4110107 and all I can say is that 131.1 is better than 151 by a margin that is larger than the price difference of the two unit.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #21 of 27
At least all the impression and reports are very positive. BTW, I'd loose the VDA-2. I haven't read about it enough, but around that price you can get a Benchmark DAC1. Then DacMagic vs. Keces.. Hmm, tough one and completely depends on the price you have to pay for the DM I think. If you don't want balanced you might take the Keces over it.
Why don't you get it and let us know what you think.
beyersmile.png

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least all the impression and reports are very positive. BTW, I'd loose the VDA-2. I haven't read about it enough, but around that price you can get a Benchmark DAC1. Then DacMagic vs. Keces.. Hmm, tough one and completely depends on the price you have to pay for the DM I think. If you don't want balanced you might take the Keces over it.
Why don't you get it and let us know what you think.
beyersmile.png

Actually, there's a ton of owner feedback on the VDA-2 on the audiophile boards that I spend the most time on. I'm a speaker builder/enthusiast rather than head phones. However, the VDA-2 stretches my budget at $599 plus $179 for the optional external power supply. It is VERY similar in design to the Keces 131.1 except the 131.1 has a very nice internal power supply. The VDA-2 has a very nice discrete output stage but the 131.1 doesn't. Almost though with only two opamps, but not quite.

The DACmagic isn't available in my area yet. One of the local stores did order a couple at my prodding but they won't be here for couple weeks. I do have first dibbs on auditioning one. Regarding the Keces 131.1, it is non returnable, so it is what it is. Thus, the inquiries trying to get user feedback. The one semi professional review I read was very positive but the reviewer didn't have much in the way of high end electronics to compare with. All tube stuff too. The speakers were nice though. They were designed and built by friends of mine.

So, yes, I'm really interested in more owner feedback on the Keces 131.1. and those are the reasons why.

Jim

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 27
I've been way too busy enjoying my KECES 131.1 to report back here.

Sorry if this is less than helpful, but I just don't think there are big differences between DACs, at least those that are in the same neighborhood price wise. I know that probably won't sit too well with a lot of folks but the endless sound quality comparisons seem rather futile to me.

I am sure I could have purchased a different DAC in roughly the same price range and been just as satisfied. I picked the KECES because of the design, owner feedback, and participation on this forum by the supplier. I did not go on a lengthy investigation of every DAC on the planet in my price range out of fear that I might pick the wrong one and make a colossal mistake. I think the chances of that happening are absurdly small.

audiosetup.jpg

You can see the KECES sitting on top of the OPPO in my rack.

I am very happy with my Squeezebox Duet and KECES 131.1 as my primary digital rig. I also have an OPPO DV-980H for SACD and DVD-A. My other sources are a SOTA Star Sapphire vacuum turntable and a Akai GX-635D Reel-to-Reel tape deck.

--Jerome

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 27
How does the Prelude sound? Like the Meridian with the LM4562 OPAMPS?

I am this close to getting a 131.1. Even closer now that it´s a bit less. Wrong time to buy now really with the exchange rates but well...

Question is I am one who likes the sound quite cold and detailed. I like the Creative cards for this very reason. The X-meridian while great just felt to warm which seem to cover up a lot of the details. Better then all Creative cards except the Elite PRO though which definitly is a step up from the X-meridian.

I also wonder how is this DAC with sibilance... I have headphones that don´t really cover up any failings in the recordings Ultrasone PRO 900 but also the Denon D5000 that is on it´s way is said to be quite sibilant.

Both these do have a strong bottom end so maybe the copper upgrade will make them to warm? Maybe not that many that have tried both I suspect.

I am also wondering about the power plugs they seem to be exclusively for the US 110V models? In comparison to the upgraded sockets for example and the better DAc in the 131.1 versus the 151 how much difference do different power cables do? I am not getting a power conditioner so maybe I need to find that lossless cable somewhere.

do you also have interconnects cable from DAC to AMP for sale? I suppose that is more important than upgraded power cables?

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #25 of 27
I can say that the DAC is quite detailed, and if you compare it to a regular sound card, it will have a huge load more detail for sure.

DA-131.1's input voltage can be switched between 100~125V to 200~250V. Power cable supplied will depend on the region of the user, I stock US NEMA, Euro Schuko, Brit's chunky plug, and Australia/Kiwi's slanted pin plugs.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for sockets, upgraded or not, it is standard for both 115 and 230V, so it is not going to be a problem.

As for RCA interconnect cables, we don't have any for sale at the moment. Cables, both interconnect and power cable can have a very visible effect to the performance. I myself don't believe the power cable can have this much effect a few years back, but I was quite shocked to find out I was wrong. The effect can be quite large and really is a part of the tools that people can use to tune their system.

Thanks

David

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 27
Feb 1, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #27 of 27
I have not tried Elite Pro, and I guess even if I tried, it would not be right for me to comment on that.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for power cables, we have some with Schuko plugs at slightly higher price, if you are interested in that, please let me know.

For the RCA sockets, IMHO they are all similarly important and would really depend on how the whole setup is put together. And of course, it would also depend on the quality of RCA socket used for the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back