Keces 151 vs. Keces 131 (w/ on-board audio SPDIF)
Jun 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
I was going to buy a 131 because I already had and M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 sound card with SPDIF ouput. But, for some reason it no longer works. I can't install the drivers, and it has been an endless source of frustration for the past couple days. If anyone can help me fix it or thinks they can help me fix it please either post here or shoot me a PM.

Anyway, back to topic. I don't enjoy the onboard audio. It gives me a lot of static. So, I was wondering if the 131 would suffer any performance loss with the onboard audio? I have a ASUS P5K-E WI-FI/AP.

One more question. How does the 131 vs 151 sound? Is there a noticeable difference in the SQ between the two models?

Current equipment:
*Grado SR80's/Sony MDR-NC60
*On-board audio ASUS P5K-E WI-FI/AP
*(Soon to buy) PPA v2
*FLAC/320kbps from computer

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm gonna bump this before it runs off the front page.

55 views and no replies
frown.gif
I know some out there can help me.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Hello, 131 would definitely benefit from better SPDIF source. Some may claim that it makes no difference, but it does. We have experimented with many different sources and found that better source helps quite a bit. If you plan to fix your sound card sometime (perhaps it's a software problem? Windows registry? Reinstall?), then I'd recommend 131.

If you don't plan to fix your sound card, and would like to save a few bucks,t hen I recommend 151.

As for the two comparing to each other, I'll have to say 131 definitely have an edge over 151 due to the inherent advantage of the DAC chip it uses (PCM1793 vs PCM2702). PCM1793 allows a DC coupled signal path, and thus better performance in terms of details, transparency, frequency extension and such. 131 is factory equipped with OPA604 and it may be at a disadvantage when compared to 151's newer LME49710, and thus we also offer this op-amp for 131 as a $10 upgrade option.
wink.gif

Thanks

David Wei

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Maniac, have you heard the Mhdt Constantine+? How does it compare to the 131?

Well, as a member of trade selling 131 and 151, I think you can guess what I would say.
wink.gif

Seriously, I have not heard MHDT's products before, even tho they are also made in Taiwan. It seems that MHDT maker is really low key here and does not really show up on radar. :p

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, 131 would definitely benefit from better SPDIF source. Some may claim that it makes no difference, but it does. We have experimented with many different sources and found that better source helps quite a bit. If you plan to fix your sound card sometime (perhaps it's a software problem? Windows registry? Reinstall?), then I'd recommend 131.

If you don't plan to fix your sound card, and would like to save a few bucks,t hen I recommend 151.

As for the two comparing to each other, I'll have to say 131 definitely have an edge over 151 due to the inherent advantage of the DAC chip it uses (PCM1793 vs PCM2702). PCM1793 allows a DC coupled signal path, and thus better performance in terms of details, transparency, frequency extension and such. 131 is factory equipped with OPA604 and it may be at a disadvantage when compared to 151's newer LME49710, and thus we also offer this op-amp for 131 as a $10 upgrade option.
wink.gif

Thanks

David Wei

Thanks for the very knowledgeable post!

But, I still want to clarify this. If I can't fix the sound card (just tried a fresh install of xp), the 131 WILL suffer coupled with the on board SPDIF? And therefore, the 151 will be a better choice simply based on SQ? (price aside at this point (see below
frown.gif
))

And now to the nasty part. How much do each of these cost? What are your rates on shipping? And do you have a website, myspace, ebay, etc. where I can read about the products in greater detail?

P.S.

If I buy one of these DAC's, it'll most definitely be from you. Seeing how well you know your product and the caliber of responses from your buyers, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of doing business with you
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the very knowledgeable post!

But, I still want to clarify this. If I can't fix the sound card (just tried a fresh install of xp), the 131 WILL suffer coupled with the on board SPDIF? And therefore, the 151 will be a better choice simply based on SQ? (price aside at this point (see below
frown.gif
))

And now to the nasty part. How much do each of these cost? What are your rates on shipping? And do you have a website, myspace, ebay, etc. where I can read about the products in greater detail?

P.S.

If I buy one of these DAC's, it'll most definitely be from you. Seeing how well you know your product and the caliber of responses from your buyers, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of doing business with you
biggrin.gif

Hello, I feel that if you can ensure bit-perfect output from your computer, it should not be hard for DA-131 to beat DA-151 due to the numerous inherent advantage that DA-131 holds over DA-151. But please do try to see if you can get a coax connection to DA-131 (don't use TOSLINK to COAX, as it would not have helped due to the fact that it already been through the light conversion process), as it sounds best with Coax.

as for a page, I've got to speed up the progress on our web site, but for now you can see a list of products that I have sale here:

AudiogoN Items for sale by Zycamaniac

as for pricing, with forum discounts:

DA-151:
$240 (instead of $250 on ebay)

DA-131:
$310 (instead of $320 on ebay)
$10 optional LME49710 upgrade.

Shipping for the above are
$45 to North America, Europe, Russia
$35 to Asia regions exclude Russia and Oceania areas (NZ, OZ)
$55 to Central/south america, Africa or other region not mentioned above.

The Audiogon link will have more detail.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi Maniac,

What does the 151 sound like with OPA627's as the output op amps ?

Regards,

Peete.

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Maniac,

What does the 151 sound like with OPA627's as the output op amps ?

Regards,

Peete.

Well, I have not compared OPA627 with LME49710 before, but I'd say it will sound finely detailed, really good overall sound. (I used to use quite a few of them in my machine until a while back)

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as for pricing, with forum discounts:

DA-151:
$240 (instead of $250 on ebay)

That becomes more and more interesting, as I'm hesitating betwen the DA-151 and the Moodlab Dice...
Is there any upgrade option on the DA-151? (Just wondering, to be sure I've understood)

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 17
Sorry for the stupid question; I own a Macbook pro (which has a a headphone out that is also optical--it accepts a 1/8' stereo mini jack). Is there such a thing as a 1/8" mini to TOSLINK cable that can be used to connect y MBP to a Keces 131? I just don't want to buy a DAC w/ USB only as I'd also want something to use w/ non-computer gear as well is why I'm asking about the 131 specifically...

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the stupid question; I own a Macbook pro (which has a a headphone out that is also optical--it accepts a 1/8' stereo mini jack). Is there such a thing as a 1/8" mini to TOSLINK cable that can be used to connect y MBP to a Keces 131? I just don't want to buy a DAC w/ USB only as I'd also want something to use w/ non-computer gear as well is why I'm asking about the 131 specifically...

Toslink to Optical Mini Adaptor @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That becomes more and more interesting, as I'm hesitating betwen the DA-151 and the Moodlab Dice...
Is there any upgrade option on the DA-151? (Just wondering, to be sure I've understood)

The upgrade option offered on DA-131 is actually already the default equipments on DA-151.
wink.gif
No need to upgrade just yet.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back