KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Oct 23, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,209 of 2,441
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,210 of 2,441
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,212 of 2,441
Received my Aurora almost two weeks ago but was really pretty busy...

Finally managed to allocate my time last weekend to unbox the Aurora... and Wow.. These really are beauties... I firstly even hesitated to touch it afraid of leaving finger prints and scratching them... I blame KB Ear: These are too beautiful and shiny for IEM :smile:

Right out of the box, I felt them a little boomy... (he, he.... maybe my brain... I'm so used to with Heart Mirror which is leaner compared to Aurora)...
So I burned it for about a day along weekend with some intermittent breaks in between and occasionally listen a bit to them (which were positives)

This morning, I woke up early at 3am since I have to prepare a report for a submission to a client before 8 o'clock.
So, while working on my report, Aurora accompanied me on my ears for about 3hours+... And it was not an easy time for me.

For many times Aurora wowed me and stole my attentions from my report to the music.. :sweat_smile: ..
Some thoughts come along during that time:
  • "how come these are so smooth but still detailed at the same time..."
  • "oh..., Linda Ronstadt's voice sounded full, un-shouty and so right"
    (Side note: Linda's voice is really unforgiving on wrong stuffs. I listened to some songs from her jazzy trilogy albums.)
  • "hmm...Muddy Waters sounded weighty and breathy while his guitar kept sounding steely... This is nice..., this is nice"
  • "these stuffs (Aurora) is really tastefully tuned..."
  • "hey... never thought that Philip Bailey and Phil Collins' 'Chinese Wall' collaboration album could sound this fun..."
    (Side note: this album was recorded almost flat and lean to show off Phil Collins drums along the album. And Aurora wasn't failed... It is really good on drums...)
I'm going to continue intermittently burn and immerse myself with Aurora before I would give further comments... But even before that, I'm pretty confident to say to @WendyLi and KB Ear: you have a winner with Aurora...

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,213 of 2,441

Finally managed to allocate my time last weekend to unbox the Aurora... and Wow.. These really are beauties... I firstly even hesitated to touch it afraid of leaving finger prints and scratching them... I blame KB Ear: These are too beautiful and shiny for IEM :smile:

Right out of the box, I felt them a little boomy... (he, he.... maybe my brain... I'm so used to with Heart Mirror which is leaner compared to Aurora)...
So I burned it for about a day along weekend with some intermittent breaks in between and occasionally listen a bit to them (which were positives)

This morning, I woke up early at 3am since I have to prepare a report for a submission to a client before 8 o'clock.
So, while working on my report, Aurora accompanied me on my ears for about 3hours+... And it was not an easy time for me.

For many times Aurora wowed me and stole my attentions from my report to the music.. :sweat_smile: ..
    (Side note: Linda's voice is really unforgiving on wrong stuffs. I listened to some songs from her jazzy trilogy albums.)
  • "hmm...Muddy Waters sounded weighty and breathy while his guitar kept sounding steely... This is nice..., this is nice"
  • "hey... never thought that Philip Bailey and Phil Collins' 'Chinese Wall' collaboration album could sound this fun..."
    (Side note: this album was recorded almost flat and lean to show off Phil Collins drums along the album. And Aurora wasn't failed... It is really good on drums...)
I'm going to continue intermittently burn and immerse myself with Aurora before I would give further comments... But even before that, I'm pretty confident to say to @WendyLi and KB Ear: you have a winner with Aurora...
Pleased to hear you are enjoying them despite your early perception of the bass. Let's hope burn-in brings them to exactly where you like them to be.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,214 of 2,441
Pleased to hear you are enjoying them despite your early perception of the bass. Let's hope burn-in brings them to exactly where you like them to be.
I forgot toe mention actually after a day burned in (or my brain adjusted to it)... it does not sound boomy or low register colored in general anymore, only on certain tracks that seemed recorded too warm (such as the old Chet Baker mono vocal tracks...)

at the other side, I'm not generally swapped IEM to compare.... I tend to stick with one for at least 2 weeks before moving to other one...
I was shocked when I changed after 3 weeks of using earbud back to IEM... suddenly they sounded become so closed in and it took a few hour of brain reset to adjust...
I was in about a week of previously using Heart Mirror with its very linear bass... so I need another brain reset..

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #2,215 of 2,441
星雨详情英文版_01.jpg

星雨详情英文版_08.jpg

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #2,216 of 2,441
I forgot toe mention actually after a day burned in (or my brain adjusted to it)... it does not sound boomy or low register colored in general anymore, only on certain tracks that seemed recorded too warm (such as the old Chet Baker mono vocal tracks...)

at the other side, I'm not generally swapped IEM to compare.... I tend to stick with one for at least 2 weeks before moving to other one...
I was shocked when I changed after 3 weeks of using earbud back to IEM... suddenly they sounded become so closed in and it took a few hour of brain reset to adjust...
I was in about a week of previously using Heart Mirror with its very linear bass... so I need another brain reset..
I can imagine the difference from earbuds to IEMs. I am with you on using one set for a couple of weeks, which is what I do (if I have no review commitments).

I cannot understand how someone would change IEMs depending on the track to which they are listening. I prefer to get to know the IEMs or simply enjoy those I know by spending time listening to one set for some two weeks at a time, unless I need to listen outdoors (without a car) then I will, generally, change to an inexpensive set, which is less painful if I lost or damaged them.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,217 of 2,441

+1 for Linda Ronstadt. Try "Adios" from "Cry like a Rainstorm, Howl like the Wind". Simply beautiful.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,218 of 2,441
Just discovered this thread. Gotta say, I'm in love with my KS1. I listen to and enjoy many different genres of music. I use a few different portable dac/amps (always using balanced output). Gotta say though; when it comes to an inexpensive daily carry; the KS1 is my favorite. I only paid a little over $17 for this set, and another $17 for a nice balanced cable. My favorite low cost iems. Are they perfect? No...but they sure as heck are totally enjoyable to listen to with multiple genres.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,219 of 2,441
Just discovered this thread. Gotta say, I'm in love with my KS1. I listen to and enjoy many different genres of music. I use a few different portable dac/amps (always using balanced output). Gotta say though; when it comes to an inexpensive daily carry; the KS1 is my favorite. I only paid a little over $17 for this set, and another $17 for a nice balanced cable. My favorite low cost iems. Are they perfect? No...but they sure as heck are totally enjoyable to listen to with multiple genres.
Agreed, KS1 isn't perfect but when it works on your playlist, I think it is better than the other budget sets that were released around the same time. And as you mentioned it scales with a balanced out, a bit more power, and a nice source.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,220 of 2,441
Agreed, KS1 isn't perfect but when it works on your playlist, I think it is better than the other budget sets that were released around the same time. And as you mentioned it scales with a balanced out, a bit more power, and a nice source.
Yup. Right now, I'm listening my Spotify Like list with my Qudelix-5K out of balanced output with a XINHS SPC cable. Listening to Steely Dan "Do It Again" as I write this. Prior to that, I was jamming some Zeppelin "Hey, hey, what can I do". Before that, The Hollies "Air that I Breath". Before that, it was Public Enemy's "Shut Em Down". Now, CCR "Born on the Bayou". Whatever I throw at this set, music wise; it seems to do it without sounding offensive in any way. This is the kind of iem that just makes me want to keep listening to my music...long after my bedtime. It's just such a great all rounder for Its low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back