KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #1,966 of 2,441
Now KBEAR ZS10Pr.. Robin is out. How is robin stacked Against KZ ZAS?
KZ ZAS is pricier sure, but ASpirit reviewed Robin as S in tone, B in technicality. And one reviewer noted on its one note textureless bass which reminds me of ZS10PRO.
Is Robin is a way better tuned ZS10Pro with similar technicality or its something can outshine even the pricier KZ ZAS?

KZ is reconfiguring their house sound, something that KBEAR is way ahead of them. Not sure where is TRN right now.
Actually I think Robin is better than zs10p for the tune, but who will buy them? I am wondering that whether the person who will buy robin or zs10pro can tell the differences between them. so it is pointless to say something, just post your views

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,967 of 2,441
Actually I think Robin is better than zs10p for the tune, but who will buy them? I am wondering that whether the person who will buy robin or zs10pro can tell the differences between them. so it is pointless to say something, just post your views
That's the real challenge with comparing sets within such a budget price range. Unless there are overwhelming differences in resolving power, timbre, or staging/separation so that you can definitively say that one outperforms the other, then many differences in performance can be written off as preference for a particular sound signature. That is perfectly fine, this hobby is extremely subjective, but it does make it challenging to rank sets for a general audience when everyone has different ears and different preferences.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,968 of 2,441
The differences means the sound? maybe someone just bought robin and didn't have zs10pro, but he would say that robin is better, maybe he like like the sound of zs10pro but unlucky that he missed zs10pro, so

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,969 of 2,441
The differences means the sound? maybe someone just bought robin and didn't have zs10pro, but he would say that robin is better, maybe he like like the sound of zs10pro but unlucky that he missed zs10pro, so
or maybe he bought zs10p and said zs10p
is better, but he don't have robin, we can't judge whether he have or not, all we can do is to look for what we really like and enjoy it, as for the products competitions, who cares.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #1,970 of 2,441
Now KBEAR ZS10Pr.. Robin is out. How is robin stacked Against KZ ZAS?
KZ ZAS is pricier sure, but ASpirit reviewed Robin as S in tone, B in technicality. And one reviewer noted on its one note textureless bass which reminds me of ZS10PRO.
Is Robin is a way better tuned ZS10Pro with similar technicality or its something can outshine even the pricier KZ ZAS?

KZ is reconfiguring their house sound, something that KBEAR is way ahead of them. Not sure where is TRN right now.

I don't have ZAS. But Robin and ZS10 Pro are rather different kettle of fish.

KZ ZS10 Pro is a deeper V shaped tuning, in your face aggressive kind of tuning. Technicalities are better on ZS10 Pro, but the treble and upper mids on ZS10 Pro can be harsh and fatiguing.

Robin is a gentler V shaped, laid back and relaxed and non fatiguing. Technicalities are not as strong as the ZS10 Pro, but the Robin has better Timbral accuracy.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,971 of 2,441
I don't have ZAS. But Robin and ZS10 Pro are rather different kettle of fish.

KZ ZS10 Pro is a deeper V shaped tuning, in your face aggressive kind of tuning. Technicalities are better on ZS10 Pro, but the treble and upper mids on ZS10 Pro can be harsh and fatiguing.

Robin is a gentler V shaped, laid back and relaxed and non fatiguing. Technicalities are not as strong as the ZS10 Pro, but the Robin has better Timbral accuracy.

One thing i don't particularly fond of on zs10pro is the textureless bass. Something that later kz fix with the new xun DD.

Hows the bass quality on robin?

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,972 of 2,441
One thing i don't particularly fond of on zs10pro is the textureless bass. Something that later kz fix with the new xun DD.

Hows the bass quality on robin?

Bass on the KBEAR Robin is midbass focused. The subbass extends moderately for a DD bass with some rumble, but the midbass is still the predominant frequency. The midbass quantity is north of neutral, but it isn't a real basshead set per se. The Robin's midbass speed is on the slightly slower side, texturing is below average, and the midbass does bleed a bit. The good thing is that the midbass can be tamed a bit by using the wider bore eartips or with a more neutral/analytical source.

Some folks like the warmth and heft that the midbass bleed adds to the lower mids, but some folks prefer a fast and tight bass, so YMMV on this aspect.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #1,973 of 2,441
The KBEar Neon is a very different tuning from the team at KBEar. An almost uncolored tonality is something I didn't expect from them, let alone in a bullet-style shell not unlike those of Etymotics (though without the hassle of Ety's deep fit).

In the end, I think the KBEar Neon is a good option for those who want a neutral tuning and don't want to deal with Etymotic fit/can't get Etymotic IEMs around (their availability isn't as great). I do find that using a size smaller tips and going for deep fit helps with the Neon. My full review can be read here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kbear-neon.25202/review/26570/

IMG_0604.jpg

1629506439768.png

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,974 of 2,441
Robin arrived. Impressions soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_114225.jpg
    IMG_20210821_114225.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,975 of 2,441
I have begun testing the Robin. I have changed the cable to a KBEAR Limpid Pro 8 core. They are sounding very nice indeed, lovely tonality, like a Lark on steroids! Good bit of sub bass rumble, smooth expressive mids and open treble, no nasties. Spacious soundstage as well. More to come.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,976 of 2,441
I have begun testing the Robin. I have changed the cable to a KBEAR Limpid Pro 8 core. They are sounding very nice indeed, lovely tonality, like a Lark on steroids! Good bit of sub bass rumble, smooth expressive mids and open treble, no nasties. Spacious soundstage as well. More to come.
I presume you switched to a balanced, is that correct?

I accept that there are those who cannot afford to buy IEMs and then spend more money on cables thus a review ought to encapsulate everything stock. However, sometimes we ought to show the capability of the drivers and their tuning and in this case, to get the best out of these Robins you have to go balanced. A balanced cable can be had for a song these days, so it does not push the budget too far upwards. My suggestion is, KBEAR should give customers the choice of buying the Robins with a balanced cable at a slightly higher price.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,977 of 2,441

I accept that there are those who cannot afford to buy IEMs and then spend more money on cables thus a review ought to encapsulate everything stock. However, sometimes we ought to show the capability of the drivers and their tuning and in this case, to get the best out of these Robins you have to go balanced. A balanced cable can be had for a song these days, so it does not push the budget too far upwards. My suggestion is, KBEAR should give customers the choice of buying the Robins with a balanced cable at a slightly higher price.
Instead they give buyers an ability to choose termination while purchasing. For the price of stock cable, KBEAR has many good cables with balanced out.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,978 of 2,441
No

No actually it is single ended. I may try balanced later.

Aug 22, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,979 of 2,441
Sounds like I have something to look forward to then. Mine are still in transit and should take a little over a week to get here.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,980 of 2,441
I have been trying to think of which IEM the Robin reminds me of. It is the KZ ZS7. The deep bass, smooth mids and polite treble with plenty of detail. And they are blue as well! I really like these. Very musical and relaxing, easy to listen to for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back