Kazaa without the popup ads!!!
May 23, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 15
A couple good utilities for anyone that uses the net much:

PopUp Killer: Well, pretty much kills popups. The default settings generally work, but you can set it to kill windows generated by advertisers or containing certain phrases or catchwords.

Ad-aware: Scans your hard disk for known spyware and adware, then kills it. Gets rid of a lot of annoying stuff completely, including hard-to-wipe registry entries.

kerelybonto

May 23, 2002 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
Just make sure it doesn't intstall all that extra hidden software that Kazaa does. Check out this CNET article if you don't know what I'm talking about. Kazaa Review

Well, that's the idea behind kazaa lite. It is kazaa with all the additional stuff stripped out. Its clean.

May 23, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Yup, we talked about this a while back, it does work very well. I use some pop up ad killer at home, but these advertisers are getting smart and pushing flash graphic ads that don't get blocked, miserable bastards.

mad.gif

May 24, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Interesting. Morpheus was always better anyway.

kerelybonto

Thats odd, for some reason morpheus doesn't even work for me. i cant find the songs I like anyway.

May 24, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Morpheus always used to search Kazaa's network too (and probably still does, but it no longer names sources), so if you can't find songs ... something's wrong.

Morpheus is pretty wacky sometimes -- it wouldn't work for me for a long time, then there was a period when I had to disconnect, connect, and immediately search every time I wanted to find something. But now with the preview edition everything works fine.

kerelybonto

May 24, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 15
If your looking for songs, why not try bearshare? I always find far more songs to choose from.

May 24, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 15
It all depends on the network you are searching. Morpheus no longer searches the Kazaa network, it just searches gnutella. But if you want to search gnutella, why are you using a software that displays ads to you? If you like morpheus, get rid of it, and get Gnucleus, which is the program that morpheus took all the code from, added advertising, and marketed as their own software. Bearshare also searches the gnutella network. Bearshare is pretty good, but I still prefer gnucleus.

peace,
phidauex

May 24, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Ah, that's right, Morpheus does search Gnutella now. I had used LimeWire for Gnutella searches primarily, but I still find Morpheus more convenient for music downloads because of its grouping and ability to download a file from multiple sources simultaneously. LimeWire tries to do that, but very ineffectively. Does Gnucleus work well?

kerelybonto

May 24, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 15
morpheus is based on the gnucleus code, so basically, gnucleus does everything morpheus does, but with no advertising. Also, gnucleus is still in active development, so its getting new features all the time.

http://www.gnucleus.com

peace,
phidauex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back