Kate Bush's new album is a work of genius...
Nov 22, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Trance crossover album

Quote:

a 21st century version of a Thomas Hardy heroine

confused.gif
Really? IMHO, Kate is still stuck in the middle of the 80's. I would say that she is a 100% creature of the 20th century. Did not manage to find any electronica influences anywhere.
biggrin.gif
A more "Bjorkish" Kate Bush album would be an interesting experience though...

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
confused.gif
Really? IMHO, Kate is still stuck in the middle of the 80's. I would say that she is a 100% creature of the 20th century. Did not manage to find any electronica influences anywhere.
biggrin.gif
A more "Bjorkish" Kate Bush album would be an interesting experience though...

My comment was more lyrics-and-persona based than musical. Kate Bush exudes a traditional ("romantic" in the 19th century definition of the word) British-ness and strong femininity that reminds me of classic figures from English literature, while being at the same time informed with 21st century postfeminist sensibilities. It's a very intriguing combination, and I'm sure it accounts for some of her massive popularity in Britain.

As for the music, I've been a fan since Wuthering Heights, and this is one of her best. She isn't "stuck in the 80s"; her sound was uniquely hers even then IMO. Yes, she uses keyboards, but so do a lot of other artists.

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Kate Bush's new album is a work of genius...

Roger, copy that.
3000smile.gif

Due to a glitch in the shipping, it took FOREVER for me to get this. I'm a Kate fan from when Hounds was a new album, had posters of her in my room, read books on her, the whole 9 yards. It's just so great to have her back again, and not embarrassing herself in the slightest. What a great album, it's like hearing again from a long-lost friend.

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Aerial is definitely a repeated-listenings kind of album.

Agreed. Being not accustomed to listening to Kate Bush recently (long-time fan though), I've been finding myself forgetting who I'm listening to half way through the second disk ('A Sky of Honey'). I check the iPod with enthusiasm...who the hell IS this? Oh yea, Kate Bush...sweet. For how absolutely distinctive she is, this album surpasses expected Bush-isms and just rises to a unique sonic nirvana.

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Aerial is definitely a repeated-listenings kind of album.

I agree. My wife bought it, but I'm the one listening to it repeatedly.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 25
I've been listening to "Aerial" for a month now and I think it's a much better album than "The Red Shoes". But at the same time there was an energy in "Red Shoes" that's actually been on all her albums which is missing in "Aerial".

It just seems like the pacing of the songs and even her vocal phrasing is just too laid-back. Too mellow and not enough of those soaring, dramatic songs ("Breathing", "Night Of The Swallow", "Hello Earth", "This Woman's Work", "Moments Of Pleasure") on past albums. Maybe age has taken the edge off.

I still like the album, it's great. But I still think "Hounds Of Love" and "The Sensual World" will always be her best work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back