Katatonia: The great cold Distance.
May 18, 2006 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Big G

100+ Head-Fier
Fantastic album, my first from this band and Im extremely impressed! I cant believe Ive overlooked them all these years.

Excellent production, really big sound, with clear separation. The drum kit images a little larger than life but it adds to the huge sound.

Very layered, with really catchy song structures / riffs.

Any fans of Tool, who dont have this album, or have heard them before, just go and buy it. Im not saying they sound like tool, but I feel there are allot of similar attributes.

May 19, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 9
You will also like "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" album if you like the latest one. Earlier albums than LFDGD will be a little different because the band hadn't yet found their concept which is evident with the 3 latest releases.

May 22, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 9
thanks guys, i will certainly be picking up those 2 previous albums.

May 22, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Big G - we must be on the same Amazon path... "others who purchased _______ also purchased Katatonia!

I was going to post a thread about these guys, I just discovered them too and also could not believe that I have overlooked them for so many years. I'm ordering a couple of their albums.... great find!

May 23, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
i'm really into katatonia stuff when they turn rock, (they've shift from doom metal to death metal to emotional rock). pretty disapointed with their new release, but thats expect from me. but i have to admit from tonight's decision to viva emptiness, alot of their song is hit-or-miss for me, i either like it or i dont.

you should listen to all of the 3 previous release. my fav are "discouraged ones" and "tonight's decision". when a band is young to a concept they are just purer in the music. also check out the song "o how i enjoy the light" from their 'tonight's music' single.

i really like 'brave murder day' too, that one is a well known classic.......i hope.

May 24, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 9
The first katatonia album i heard was the great cold distance and I really dig it.

I just listened to the earlier albums and I've got to say that I didn't care for them. The singer's vocal range on the great cold distance is very narrow and now I know why; when he tries to go outside that range he sounds awful. The earlier albums really reveal his voice as small and weak. The great cold distance is definitely my favorite album by this group.

May 25, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i really like 'brave murder day' too, that one is a well known classic.......i hope.

BMD is "the" Katatonia album.........all else they have done stands in its mighty shadow. (yes the vocals are by Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth)

For people new to Katatonia you can hardly improve upon recent anthology called Brave Yesterdays...........magnificent collection

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 9
I really like all their recent albums: Last Fair Deal Gone Down is still my favourite though, but Tonight's Decision, Viva Emptiness and the Black Sessions box are all worthwhile purchases. Easily my favourite kind of music. Great Cold Distance has ousted even Gathering's Home as best album of the year in my book...so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back