Kart Racing anyone?
Feb 19, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I've been looking at Kart Racing to fill in the time between track days. Maybe 3 times a year I might go to the track with my car, but I can't really afford to do it more often.

I just went to Adam's Kart Track in Riverside a couple weeks ago. That was pretty fun. Been to Dromo 1 too. Last time I was at Buttonwillow for track driving, I saw a bunch of folks doing the Kart track, and man, it sure looks fun! The dude I was talking to there said he could pull 3g's out of a turn!--ain't no way I am ever doing that in an automobile.

Any of you seriously into Karts? Talk me into it!
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 17
I used to be seriously into karting back in the day. If you can buy a 125 shifter or a decent chassis with a parilla you should be set. Good helmet and overalls with the right shoes (I prefer puma) and you are in business.

I like the amateur approach of this website - http://www.karting1.co.uk/index.htm

If you are just thinking of having fun - GO FOR IT!

Nothing is more "real" than kart racing. You are inches from the ground and often doing insane speeds. Karting is really about cornering though - that is where I still do well because I am no longer the 140 Lbs I used to be. Close to 200 and no chance down the straights...I make up most of the ground during cornering.

Have you EVER tried it ? Make sure you do it at a place that doesnt place a limiter on the karts...those speed governors will ruin your experience. Stay away from the barriers initially...as you get better you will find yourself using the barriers for friction traction on tight corners by getting the rear half of the chassis to rub.

In faster karts you will be sideways a LOT and on fast corners you can really hang the ass end out for best results.

Not a lot more to say - the best form of racing there is IMO...as real as racing thrills get...as insane as they come
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Kart racing rules. I completely agree with you Guru, it's amazing being on a kart, inches off the ground, going insane speeds. I'm only a 135 pounds, so turning corners requires me to hang tight and pray, but god, there is just such a huge exhilaration that you get out of it, that you keep coming back for more.

Definitely go for it. It's amazingly fun.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 17
LOL...it is odd how heavier people corner easier and suck on the straights...lighter folks struggle on fast corners but do nicely on slow corners and straights.

On slow corners, with my current weight...if I dont keep the revs up through the corner, I am screwed. Fast corners are easier with my weight...less skittling around on the bumps.

Hairpins are the best...I can use my weight and double pendulum my way around these corners...cant do that so well when you are lighter.

The downside? I get smoked on the straights. Success at a track depends on the ratio of time spent on straights vs. time spent on corners. The lower the ratio - the better I fare.

Aaah crap - now you guys are motivating me to lose weight <gs stops munching on the bojangles fried chicken
tongue.gif
>

If this video doesnt get your blood pumping - I dont know what will : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=senna+karting

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 17
Haha. I fly on the straights, but always am flying sidewalks on those fast, sharp turns. I'm fairly good at hairpins, cause I slow down just enough to swing around it really fast. But it's the straights where the magic really happens, I just pass everybody when I'm on the straights. Then they catch up a little on the turns, but I think I've gotten the turns down well enough that I can stay ahead of the pack.

But it's all different when the small asian women come to town and play. My girlfriend just flies past me all the time. 135 lb asian male is nothing compared to a 98 lb asian woman... *sigh* You should see her on the turns too, man she's got the whole thing down.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 17
how come having more weight helps in turns?

you know, i always wondered how much weight mattered. the first time i went karting was at Dromo 1, an indoor track. there's always a bunch of kids there. at the time i weighed 250lbs... and man, that was not fun. even when i came up even with another kid through a turn, i think the moment we both floored it, it was over--he would be at the end of the straight before i even started moving.

now, i weigh 190-195lbs. and STILL the same thing happened at Adam's Kart Track, which is a much larger outdoor track. hmm... can't say i did the corners all that well though. you sure weight actually helps in turns?

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus

you know, i always wondered how much weight mattered. the first time i went karting was at Dromo 1, an indoor track. there's always a bunch of kids there. at the time i weighed 250lbs... and man, that was not fun. even when i came up even with another kid through a turn, i think the moment we both floored it, it was over--he would be at the end of the straight before i even started moving.

now, i weigh 190-195lbs. and STILL the same thing happened at Adam's Kart Track, which is a much larger outdoor track. hmm... can't say i did the corners all that well though. you sure weight actually helps in turns?

In my opinion he is wrong, it violates the physics of racing, in fact in my fairly extensive karting experience, he is just wrong. The lighter the better.

Well I am bored so I am going to break it down. Yes, adding weight adds friction/traction but this is offset be the added force above the center of gravity thus making you slower. If I was really bored and did not have test in the morning, I would get my physics of racing books and give you theire scientific formulas. If you really want to know, just do some research on the racing physics.

If you are really interested in getting into it, go here. http://www.ekartingnews.com/forum.php Honestly, In my experience, track days are cheaper.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey_Its_Cole
In my opinion he is wrong, it violates the physics of racing, in fact in my fairly extensive karting experience, he is just wrong. The lighter the better.

Well I am bored so I am going to break it down. Yes, adding weight adds friction/traction but this is offset be the added force above the center of gravity thus making you slower. If I was really bored and did not have test in the morning, I would get my physics of racing books and give you theire scientific formulas. If you really want to know, just do some research on the racing physics.

If you are really interested in getting into it, go here. http://www.ekartingnews.com/forum.php Honestly, In my experience, track days are cheaper.

You out to set a point or something? I don't understand why some people on this forum feel the need to find ways to disprove someone who's posting about personal experiences or having fun with a topic.
rolleyes.gif
I tend not to get involved with the issue, heck I don't post much, I'm not even at the 500 post mark after 2+ years here, but it's starting to get on my nerves when people feel like they have to outsmart each other on this forum. Isn't this a place to have fun and socialize?

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus

I used to kart race when I was a kid. Now i dont do it anymore but have taken up other sports. Being light is the key thing in any kind of car racing. Therefore the lighter you are the better you accelerate, brake and corner.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 17
Oooh...I am getting a lesson on physics!!
eggosmile.gif

I'm not going to lean on my academic qualifications in this matter - I weigh 100Lbs more than the kids I race with and I can consistently keep up with them...and I KNOW that I cannot touch them on the straights. A karting track has straights and corners...doesnt require NASA or JPL levels of intellect to figure out where I am making up for lost time
rolleyes.gif

Anyway - track days are probably cheaper until you have an off...in that case you will be wishing you didnt hear of this hobby. I am assuming of course that you are not made of money.

Going off is a sickening feeling and the chances of having a big shunt are more real on track-days. In my experience - the biggest danger is from some n00b who is trying double de-clutching for the first time and you are in front of him going into a corner.

I will not say how much money I have lost being whacked from behind on a track. Head to UK and try out the Caterham superlight series - probably the most feral form of motorsport this side of two wheels
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 17
Maybe keeping up with the kids has to do with your driving abilities or the setup of your cart.
biggrin.gif
Even though i try to understand how extra weight would create extra drag i dont see how this would help overcome the need to steer more weight. Maybe extra weight makes the cart steadier and helps you push more on corners.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 17
GSFerrari- my dad and I could always point out the real karters whenever we were at a racetrack for a big car event...they were the ones using crutches, or walking with limps, as the feet/lower legs were often damaged in full-on racing wrecks with karts!

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Maybe keeping up with the kids has to do with your driving abilities or the setup of your cart.
biggrin.gif
Even though i try to understand how extra weight would create extra drag i dont see how this would help overcome the need to steer more weight. Maybe extra weight makes the cart steadier and helps you push more on corners.

I attribute it to the ability to maintain momentum while you swing the back end around - YOU move the kart in this case...the kart doesnt move you. If you are light however, it is a different story.

Put it this way - a top class lightweight driver will smoke me on straights AND corners. Skill definitely comes into play. On a similar skill level weight doesnt make a huge difference to lap times.

Weight does make the cart steadier, less useless wheelspin, less "hopping".

In karting - you dont "steer". You chuck the kart in and out of corners...

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
GSFerrari- my dad and I could always point out the real karters whenever we were at a racetrack for a big car event...they were the ones using crutches, or walking with limps, as the feet/lower legs were often damaged in full-on racing wrecks with karts!

I have never seriously wrecked a kart and havent seen too many shunts in my experience so far. If you wear the right protective gear - you can get away with most common shunts. it is VERY hard to flip a kart. Most flips happen when you hit a kerb too hard, hit another kart or suffer from a flat in the middle of a corner...

aah...

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 17
Regarding the physics aspect of this.... The physics is pretty simple in the straights, which is very logical, the lighter, the faster you go on straights....

On the corners, you can't think of it in terms of simple mass + force because it isn't a simple system. The driver can shift his weight (quite dramatic when you consider the weight of the Kart) as well as the distribution of the weight. With a heavier driver the weight is also more centrally located.

Not trying to start an argument. But basically saying, physics isn't very complicated. Just look at a screwball in baseball. Physics can't explain why it does the trajectory it does. If you looked at it as a simple system, it should just follow the path of a parabola....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back