Karma + PortaPro2. Amp or SR60??
Apr 1, 2005 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OniVerde

Head-Fier
I am currently listening to my Rio Karma through a pair of PP2's. So far I am quite happy with the sound. It is smooth with good base and not fatiguing at all. (8+hours today). Would a simple cheap portable amp improve the sound at all? What about SR60s? Should I spend my money on SR60s or an amp for the PP2?

I've done some searching and it seems the SR60s aren't THAT much better than the PP2s. So...I should be better off getting an amp for the PP2s right?
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I tried using a Portaphile with Portapros once and I really didn't think that the Portapros really benefitted that much from amplification.

Grado SR60 were better than Portapros though the highs did become a little screechy. SR60 had a little less bass than Portapros but were in another class when comparing Bass control and tightness. One thing to beware though, is that the SR60 are much larger than Portapros and don't fold so are nowhere near as portable in my opinion. I never had any fatigue with the Portapros but did have a few problems with the SR60 (1/2-1 hour ) max before resting.

I'll try the Portapros with SR71 tonight and see if it makes any significant difference though I have to say I don't think the difference will be that great.

What is the motivation for the upgrade? Are you unhappy with the Portapro sound?
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 12
No, I'm quite happy with the sound. I just wonder if a little $50 amp could help me enjoy it more. From what you said, sounds like SR60s aren't for me. I hate screechy highs and I usually listen for hours at a time.

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 12
i'm not an authoratitive source really but in an anti-head-fi spirit I would say that you're probably best saving the money for a greater upgrade. It sounds like you're relatively happy at the moment.

Just be happy until ULTRA-UPGRADEITIS hits you in which all that goodness that you feel from saving $50 now will allow you to spend an extra $200 without remorse
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 12
From what i've heard, an amp will help, but marginally.
(adding in an 75ohm adapter helps more when amplified)

BTW, are you going for a Cmoy amp?
if you're going to build it, it can be worthwhile and you'll learn some things...

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Tranferring experience over to the iPod, I'd repeat what others have said. The SR60s are a step up in phones, but not as dramatic as you'd think. And both already have a very present low end that doesn't benefit substantially when amped (as long as you have decent power which for a portable Karmas and iPods have). I'd wait until you can afford say $160 for an Alessandro MS1 and amp... and even that is debatable (isn't anywhere near 4X better - the price difference from the PP2 by themselves). Except for the build quality and that sexy look, the PP2s are quite the portable phones. I assume you've cut holes in the pads already to bring out the highs a bit?

Apr 1, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 12
I like my KSC75 amped with a cmoy+75 ohm adapter/resistor. Flattens out thte spectrum a little and seems to lower the bass bump down a notch into the lower octaves.

To my ears it sounds smoother with more bass resonance than an nuamped SR-60.... Note thats with the KSC75...
Garrett

Apr 1, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Pssh you don't need an amp, that's just way more bulk to carry around. Get thsoe SR-60's and be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 12
uh...excuse my ignorance but, what is an adaptor/resister?

And let's say that I DO contract upgraditis...what should I upgrade to that'll significanly improve the sound? They must be comfortable and good for long listening sessions. (3+hours)

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 12
The adapter contains 2 resistors (of varying resistance/impedance, common is 75 ohms) that is soldered into the left and right channels of the headphone cable. It just adds impedance/resistance into a headphone.
Example: ER-2P (canal phone) is an ER-2S (more expensive canal phone) minus 75ohms of impedance.
you could easily make the ER-2P to a ER-2S with just a 75ohm adapter...
(Lesson: additional impedance makes some headphones sound better (and more expensive), but harder to drive)

For your problems, You'll want something full size, since it's much more comfortable for long use. Sony's MDR-V6 (discontinued, $60 in some shops where available) and the DT770 Pro-80ohm ($150+ brand new) are much like the kosses in term that they have good bass and highs and the weak mids problem.

Note: if you like the PP2's sound, you could invest on it's full size version, the UR40 (w/c is also as cheap as the PP2, can be bought for less than $40 IIRC). Then sell off the PP2....

PS: Hell, I amped the KSC55s a minute ago, plus the 75ohm adapter. source is an iPod (headphone out, think if i used the line-out).
i think i'll never be happy again with most of my equipment(the PC, the ipod and my Compact-CDP by itself).. the bass was thumping and the highs were just right(not painful, not weak).. The mids were much better since the volume helped them a bit (IMO/for me)....
although the amp did a bit of low noise hum (meaning bad circuitry), but it was ok since it was barely audible at idle, and invisible when the audio starts (think if i used a better amp)...

Apr 2, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 12
dunno where since i just built one myself. You can find them cheaper than Ety's and fixup's price (w/c is a bit overpriced IMO for resistors and cables)..
or if you build it, It's pretty much just about $5 worth of parts..
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm (scroll down to the modified radioshack adapter)
Dont solder them to the headphone cable, it's better if it's an adapter coz you can use it on other headphones (in the future)...

About the amp.. You can go high, low or self-built (you can bulid a mini-cmoy for about $20, or less with with the micro-cmoy).
But IMO, save up for a better amp, like the Emmeline SR-71..

heck, i'd really advise you to just save up (or just build the adapter). the PPs are pretty much good against much of the headphones in the $100 range.
And when you get more cash (like $250 worth) then you upgrade..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back