Karma + ogg = no loss in battery life?
Dec 16, 2003 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
I read on Riovolution's forums that using ogg will decrease battery life most over all other filetypes. All my songs are currently encoded in Quality 8 ogg's and after trying to run my battery down completely (I read also that you'll maximize your battery by running it down completely shortly after you've purchased it... the rate was a 4% less of a decrease in battery life a year), the battery would just simply not die. I use minor EQing (1dB bump at 40Hz with a Q of 4) and was on a volume of about 15-20.

My battery simply would not die. I started around 12pm-1pm (not exactly sure) and around 9-10pm it wasn't even down to quarter of a battery so I gave up and concluded that my battery life was at its maximum. I believe it would've gone past midnight to drain the charge completely.

Definite thumbs up on this!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye

My battery simply would not die. I started around 12pm-1pm (not exactly sure) and around 9-10pm it wasn't even down to quarter of a battery so I gave up and concluded that my battery life was at its maximum. I believe it would've gone past midnight to drain the charge completely.

Definite thumbs up on this!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still on my first battery charge after about three days of intermittent use. I had been planning to completely discharge the battery the first time, but I realized later that I have probably been charging it a little bit each time I put the Karma on the docking station to load more tunes!! I've stopped adding more songs, with the intention of just listening to what I have until the battery's drained. We'll see if I get there!!

I'd been debating whether to use ogg vorbis due to the increased battery drain question, but given how long this thing seems to last, maybe it won't seem like such a big issue.

btw., I've been using the Karma-->>Trackmaster combo. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 7
I played around w/ the karma and zen xtra last week and noticed this mega bat life too. Messing with settings constantly hit the zen hard, but didn't seem to affect the karma at all.

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Starting today I've been running the Karma with my Sennheiser PXC250s, which have a 300 ohm impedance. I normally have to set volume at 25 to 30 out of 30. It'll be interesting to see how the battery holds up.

Dec 17, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 7
What kind of bitrate would quality 8 correspond to? I would say that you're getting much better battery life than I did with .ogg files. I had encoded a bunch of files to .ogg in the 200kbit/sec range (forget what quality I chose to do this though) and did a battery test and found the battery life around 20% shorter than with mp3s. The overall battery life of this player is outstanding though.

After a lot of listening I went back and re-encoded all of my ogg files to mp3s. It might be my imagination, or old age, but I thought the mp3s sounded better at the same bitrate. I know .ogg are supposed to be better but not to my ears (at least at the high bitrates). I was using .ogg files on two different players (ihp and karma).

Congrat's on getting an excellent battery!

Dec 17, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Theresamarie1,
Personally i felt that the ogg did sound better than the comparable bit rate.(I usually encode at 6 or 7) However i'm using an ihp-100 and I certainly have experinced some loss of battery life.

Dec 17, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I'd been debating whether to use ogg vorbis due to the increased battery drain question, but given how long this thing seems to last, maybe it won't seem like such a big issue.

IMO, there's no sizeable loss in battery from going from mp3 to ogg. I haven't tried my Karma with mp3's but it's rated at 15 hours and if I can do that with aprox 256kbps bitrates of ogg's, I doubt you'll have a problem.

Quote:

btw., I've been using the Karma-->>Trackmaster combo. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Excellent to hear! Your post in my thread about a week or so ago was very helpful, I'd like to thank you again.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been thinking about the Trackmasters for quite a while and finally just decided to jump on them. I'm very anal with my decisions but I feel very confident in them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Theresamarie1, I'm glad you've found what you like, at least! It may differ from person to person, but I think the best way to find what you like is just to personally test each filetype and so forth. I also think I answered your question above (256kbps aprox = q8).
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back