Karma as separate drive
Aug 4, 2005 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Just signed on today.

I bought a used Karma from e-bay. It was in fine condition save the headphone jack doesn't work, which is okay, because I wanted to play files on my stereo. My Dell, which I bought without thinking about sound quality, has "on-board" sound, no card. Either my ears have improved in the past few years, along with our sound systems, or its ability to playback digital files has degenerated, because I can no longer evaluate the quality of digital files played directly from the pc. They all sound awful (I've been upgrading the sampling quality of most of the material I have to 192 kbps mp3 and/or 128 kbps wma minimums). Since I can't upgrade the computer sound, I thought I'd try the karma.

So far I'm pleased with it.

One problem, however, is that in spite of being connected to via ethernet to a broadband router, I can't get the network to recognize it as either a distinct node or a drive on the main computer. Password has been entered, and I can manage content using Rio Music Manager (though it's ability to recognize the player using ethernet only and not usb is spotty; right now it's hooked up via both, which is not a huge problem because the Karma will play while usb connected, a quality I didn't even realize it had).

Anyway ... are there readers who have their Karmas hooked up as separate drives using either usb or ethernet? Am I missing something here? Is there software or drivers I ought to be using?

Hope I was able to describe that clearly.

Thanks in advance,

Andy Katz

Aug 4, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry - the Karma won't show up as a drive over Ethernet. You can't even control the thing over ethernet - just attach to it via RMM for transferring files. It's a crying shame that you can't access the controls from a PC...

I think you can use RioRad to assign it a drive letter over USB, but it only works on PCs with RioRad installed.

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, both of you.

It *is* a shame, but not really a critical problem. I have RMM, and it's not a bad compromise. All I have to do is open windows explorer and cross-reference new files with RMM, transfer to the Karma, and they're ready to play. Really crucial is its independence from the PC and good quality connection to the stereo.

I may try the Headroom DAC in the future, but it connects via mini only ... hmmm

Andy Katz

Aug 7, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 6
So does the Karma show up as an actual drive or not? If not, is there something that I can do to make it show up as a drive?

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r
is there something that I can do to make it show up as a drive?

RioRad. It won't be given a drive letter, but it will show up in Windows Explorer and allow you to drap and drop folders to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back