Karajan Complete EMI Recordings
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tim_the_gamer

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered this from Amazon a few days ago. I'm eagerly anticipating it's arrival. Does anyone else have it? Which (do you think) are the highlight / your favorite performances?

A complete list of works can be found here.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 3
I grew up with Von Karajan's b=Beethoven's symphonies and still have the in Vinyl somewhere. My favorite interp. Good purchase!

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 3
I have heard some of his individual Beethoven Symphony recordings before but not enough to really compare them to the only cycle I own which is the Zinman/Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich. I understand that he has made numerous recordings of the Beethoven on different labels. From my reading, it seems most regard his earlier cycle on the Deutsche Grammaphone label as their favorite. I have no idea what to expect with the EMI recordings, though it would appear from the track listing that there are multiple versions of several of the symphonies.

Among the pieces that I have on EMI already that I enjoy are his Haydn 104 "London", Mozart 41st "Jupiter", Schubert 8 "Unfinished", and Dvorak 9 "from the New World" all with the Berlin Philharmonic recorded during the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back