Kanye West is an...
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped watching TV 20 years ago. I kid you not. 1988, my first year of law school. I figured I wouldn't have time for it and didn't need the distraction. I'd rent a Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne movie once every couple of weeks and watch it on my TV via VCR, but had no cable.

As it turned out, I didn't miss it, and still don't. I'll go to pubs to watch major sporting events and get news from newspapers and the internet. I still enjoy TV when I'm visiting friends or family who have it on, but I don't want it in my house.

The beauty of it is I've had a ton of time for music and reading during the past 20 years! I'm thinking about setting up an HT room, but only for movies and concert videos. No satellite or cable for me. I don't have the discipline to turn it off.

Good thing to know I'm not the only "crazy" guy here
biggrin.gif

But seriously, i don't miss TV at all. It's in my room and it serves only for XBOX 360/Nintendo Wii and Movies. Luckily enough even most of my friends don't watch it so I'm not obligated to "suffer" when I'm visiting them. We'll see if if it turns out to be as good for me as it was four you in about 18 years from now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I'm not angry about this"

Could have fooled me Dave.
tongue.gif

Come on, there is lots of new music and artists to come that will be just as talented as Hendrix or Chuck Berry. You may not like their style of music but that doesn't make them any less worthy. By your estimation we should have stopped making new music at Mozart.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just sad.

Sorry, it's purely the music that does it for me. I don't go "Wow, that was so creative, what they just did!" or "This is the best song I've ever heard, but I swear it reminds me of the Beatles, those plagiarists." Sure I appreciate the innovation of musical pioneers, but I care more about what's coming out than what's going in.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could have fooled me Dave.
tongue.gif

Come on, there is lots of new music and artists to come that will be just as talented as Hendrix or Chuck Berry. You may not like their style of music but that doesn't make them any less worthy. By your estimation we should have stopped making new music at Mozart.

I only targeted the rock/pop music genre because those are the acts Kanye had mentioned - some of them by name - in his ridiculous speech. I'm all for new music and I think you get the point I was trying to make - that the acts who shaped the music in years past will always tower over puny hacks like Kanye West - no matter how self-important the new "talent" feels they are. When I said I thought they were untouchable I meant that their influence was untouchable, not that they were the best singers, musicians, songwriters, etc. (although some of them are the best singers, musicians, songwriters...)

Geez, maybe I am angry about this. Let me think about it . . . Yup, angry!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back