Kann Cube Owners
Oct 23, 2019 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

anton19

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

Please can you suggest a good headphone to use with Kann Cube? I have a HD650 and a Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless, but I want more and more sound quality. What your better suggest for this device? My budget is about U$2000.
Many thanks
Antonio

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm sorry to see that you haven't had a reply. I'll try.

I've had the Kann Cube for a few weeks. In general, I think CIEM and IEM headphones can sound good. I think your HD650 can do good. I briefly owned the WH-1000XM3 and I am not a fan.

My Fostex TH-909 never sounded better than with the Kann Cube. Since they are low impedance, I would guess that they pair better than any of the Sennheiser headphones. Sennheiser and A&K fans may disagree. After-all, the Kann Cube is built for power and Sennheiser HD800S is the legendary reference headphone everyone wants to own. My opinion is that I have owned the HD800 (previous to the HD800S) and always felt that it needed a massive amp to unleash its potential.

I also have a MrSpeakers EtherFlow C. It is my favorite closed headphone but I don't think it scales as well with the Kann Cube. I suspect that other planar headphones will need more amplification to reach their potential. Since writing this, I've found that putting the amp in "High Gain" helps all my headphones including the EtherFlow C. It's not about the volume, it's about passing more current through the cans.

Lastly, my JH Audio Layla scales extremely well with the Kann Cube. I auditioned the SP2000 Stainless and Copper (the Copper sounds better to my ears) but the Kann Cube is in a category of its own. I purchased the Kann Cube because of how it pairs with the JH Audio Layla.

Coming full circle: if budget is a concern, a good quality balanced cable for your HD650 should prove very revealing.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 4
I have the Kann Cube since its launch. I find its best sound coming from its mini xlr out at 4 volts. I paired that recently with smsl sp200 thx amp with a focal elex headphone and the sound is very good. Total cost of amp and headphone is about $850 excluding the Kann cube which serves as a player and a very accomplished dac.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Dear all,

Please can you suggest a good headphone to use with Kann Cube? I have a HD650 and a Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless, but I want more and more sound quality. What your better suggest for this device? My budget is about U$2000.
Many thanks
Antonio
It really depends on your taste and the type of music you listen to most. I have Kann Cube, and using it with Audeze LCD-3. That is about your budget. It is fantastic in the bass, very good in electronic music. I tried once Sennheiser 820 with the Kann Cube. The clarity was amazing, I suppose that is super for classical music and metall, but that was lacking the bass I got used to with the LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back