KAAV (Malayalam Post/Math Rock Instrumental Band)
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wrathzombie

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday I discovered an interesting Post/Math Rock instrumental band from Kerala called 'Kaav'' and I was impressed. I went ahead and bought their EP as well as the album.

Check out their website for streaming tracks.

[size=1.8em] Bio[/size]

Kaav is an Indian trio instrumental band formed in 2009 by Syam N Pai (Guitar), Shabeer P Ali (Bass) and Arun S Kumar (Drums). The Vypin Island, Kerala based band released their eponymous E.P of three tracks in September 2010. The E.P was produced by guitar maestro Baiju Dharmajan. Kaav EP received raving reviews from various newspapers, magazines and several international websites and was selected as the NO 1 Indian Indie EP of the year 2010 by online music magazine 'Indiecision'.
Kaav's debut album titled 'Rhapsody of Rains' consisting of eight songs released in June 2012. Produced by Baiju Dharmajan, the album is an attempt by Kaav to further its musical expeditions into more progressive terrains while still retaining its indigenous roots as well as diverse influences.
The word Kaav comes from Kaavu; the sacred groves of Kerala. They are the aboriginal worship places where serpents, goddesses and ancestral spirits dwell in. Kaavu flows organically in space, with dense tropical vegetation redefining its contours. The secret chambers of Kaavu generate many stories, songs and legends. The ritualistic practices associated with Kaavu form a rich source of folkloric art. Kaavu plays with the subliminal chords of cultural memory. This is the mythical, mystical and magical location that reverberates down the ears.

[size=1.25em] Kaav is[/size]

Syam N Pai - Guitar
Shabeer P Ali - Bass
Arun S Kumar - Drums

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 9

Just to add some insight... Imagine Don Caballero meeting Failure(Ken Andrews forgot to show up) and Mogwai in a Toddy shop near Bharathapuzha...  In short, take the base of post/math rock and mix it with Kerala/Malayalam traditional folk elements and finally top it off with fuzzy elements of jazz, smell of rain, dying spirit of communism and nostalgia.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Heard this band a year ago, from an article on Baiju Dharmajan's other creative routes..

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Yesterday I discovered an interesting Post/Math Rock instrumental band from Kerala called 'Kaav'' and I was impressed.

I know about only one rock band from Kerala. It's called Avial. They released one album in 2008 and several songs for the Malayalam movie Salt'N'Pepper ( 2011).

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Everyone knows Avial 
size]
. I mean they are much more popular

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 9

Some of the best Kerala has to offer! .. Folk Rock. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Some of the best Kerala has to offer! .. Folk Rock. 

I hate Motherjane. I hate Suraj Mani. 
size]

I still feel Avial and Kaav are much better than Muthafakinjane,

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 9
I think the solos of the Baiju Dharmajan are one of the best from the Indian Music Scene. They are very Indian Classical sounding. Avial is good too ...but I  wouldn't put Kaav in this class really..

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 9

I think Avial is great but have never been able to rate Motherjane as high as them. Also, I have not heard any math rock instrumental bands from India who bring out the flavor of Kerala. I have to disagree my friend. Kaav is spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back