ka 7300 headphone output impedance
Mar 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vale25

Head-Fier
hello! I've a simple question: if an integrated amplifier has  a damping  factor of 50 on a 8 ohm load, what is the headphone output impedance if it is obtained putting a 330 ohms resistance in line with speaker output? thank you 

May 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 10
HI again you :) now I have a GPINTO and i'm not using this  amp ti drive my hd 800, but however this is how  is obtained the headphone output by   kenwood, I don't wanna do anything :wink:

May 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
HI again you :) now I have a GPINTO and i'm not using this  amp ti drive my hd 800, but however this is how  is obtained the headphone output by   kenwood, I don't wanna do anything :wink:

Don't do it, it is unecessary.
It shows poor understanding of electronics circuit design on the part of Kenwood engineers.
Use the GPinto instead, as it is 10000x  better.

cheers

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 10

Don't do it, it is unecessary.
It shows poor understanding of electronics circuit design on the part of Kenwood engineers.
Use the GPinto instead, as it is 10000x  better.

cheers

I was looking for info about the KA7300 too and found this very old thread. Just wanted to share my experience.
I tested this amp with a pair of HD-600 and it sounded phenomenal, full, detailed... so for me it's hard to conceive how the GPinto can be "10000x" better

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 10
well if you have both... I'd think plug them into the KA7300 and see how it sounds.

I honestly have no idea on the damping questions.. but look at teh inards running the headphone section off the power amp / with the resistor(s??) to reduce the powar to the headphones... I'm thinking if the amp is in good nick it is going to sound pretty dang good.

I mean... look at the size of them transformers and the caps.. nice..

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi Atarione, I don't have both, but today I've been using the Kenwood again. Set up was simple: FLAC files from Sansa Clip+ > amp > HD600s
It's been an exciting session, couldn't stop listening! besides I'm still on the honeymoon with the HD600s. I tend to leave tone controls flat, if anything sometimes one nocht plus on bass (150Hz turnover) and/or treble (3Khz)

I haven't compared the KA7300 headphone output side by side to other amps, but recently I tested together a KA5700 and a Marantz PM34, both were nice (the Marantz tone controls were cleaner) but today I got the feeling the KA7300 has the edge over them... will put them side by side soon! However I feel I won't hear them at their full potential until I can test them with my turntable...

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 10
  well if you have both... I'd think plug them into the KA7300 and see how it sounds.

I honestly have no idea on the damping questions.. but look at the inards running the headphone section off the power amp / with the resistor(s??) to reduce the powar to the headphones... I'm thinking if the amp is in good nick it is going to sound pretty dang good.

I mean... look at the size of them transformers and the caps.. nice..

Hi.
HD-600 (I own several) are really not high resolution transducers.
The reason I recommended GPinto is that it is a very cheap unit when considering what you'll get (all-triode, transformer coupled, dedicated amp, made for Headphones).
I have the white version.

Using an speaker amplifier for headphone listening is not optimal, specially through the headphone-jack.
If you're happy with what you're hearing, then that's what's the most important thing...and no one can tell you what is wrong or right in your case.

My experimentation through the years, with endless units (amps and headphones) has resulted in the tendency towards valve-based amps (preferably transformer-coupled) and film-diaphragm headphones.

Headphone listening is very different than listening through speakers. It is very much more intimate and sensitive. Distortion is vanishingly low, and you do not need the high current capability of the solid-state devices.
Thus the sweetness, the dynamics and the extension that valves produce are really appreciated. 

If you really wanna stick with the dynamic HPs, then try HD-800 or something better.

Cheers...

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for sharing your experience Zodiac.
About what you say about tube amps I'm considering trying with some adapter to connect the speaker outs from my headphone output-less tube amp to headphones, just for the sake of experimenting not as a permanent solution.

I didn't know the Gpinto and I imagine it must be a great amp. In any case I'm not looking for amps, just researching as the notion of a headphone amp itself was alien to me until I started to dig on the internet about headphones. In any case the Gpinto would be way way out of my budget, same as the hd800... the hd600 were quite a strech, so much I got'em used!

Going back to the KA7300, I tested it side by side to the Marantz PM-34 and it was very hard to spot any difference (FLAC/Sansa clip as source) I think the Kenwood had a tiny bit more air in the mids and bass, but almost negligible.

Editing just to say that the main difference between the KA7300 and PM34 was higher output volume at same dial settings with the Kenwood

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 10
  Thanks for sharing your experience Zodiac.
About what you say about tube amps I'm considering trying with some adapter to connect the speaker outs from my headphone output-less tube amp to headphones, just for the sake of experimenting not as a permanent solution.

Yes, experimentation is a really good way of arriving at satisfactory results without needing
to spend a lot of money, but it takes a lot of time (and actually requires a lot of know-how). 

This is exactly what you pay for when buying a hi-end vs. a low-end product.

Many audiophiles complain about the high prices of hi-end units and argue that they “just contain components“.

Well, what do they expect to find?? Fabergé eggs???

Companies charge for this R&D (listening tests) and not so much for the components.

A prime example of this is the Lampizator - aka Lucas Fikus.
He long accused the audio companies of “ripping off the public“ with their high prices since he couldn't find any
expensive components inside the units (CD's and DAC's) he opened up.

He then proclaimed himself as the Audio Prometheous and started his own company - fighting the high price offerings of other audio companies.....

....now he is offering DACs that cost over 15.000 USD!!!   (yes - that is 15 thousand).

How comically ironic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back