K872 can sound very good
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Many say amp/dac do not matter. I beg to differ. Perhaps even, everyone's disdain of these.

Firstly they are TOTL if not otherwise Summit at 2+ Grand. Imo they can sound likewise and not exceptionally expensive.

Get an ADI2 with the big IFI PSU brick.

Use a liquid Platinum with cap mod, linear PSU and '74 D getter tubes. Use vintage RCA oil in paper. Musicap won't fit.

Black Dragon Balanced cable is a must here! Just go all black Dragon.

About under 7ish Grand for this I think sounds real good.

It is all with the right Synergy that these can shine. Everyone I know states they never heard the K872 like this. Very Fluid and syrupy. Bass is amazing. In gobs but so we'll behaved now.

The only thing is PRAT is a bit slow on tubes with these. It is usually anytime with Valves but a tiny bit pronounced here. No Sibilance to speak of.

I did the leg work for everyone here. If anyone is interested at all in these still.

You don't play HD800 out of a phone either. In comparison my A&K SP3000 is good with them. With the above there is no comparison really. At least IMO.

The only drawback is these are physically fragile. Drop them and they are likely destroyed. Adjust them as little as possible. The click mechanism wears out quick.

Otherwise, I feel these are indeed an entry level Summit rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back