k81DJ vs SR60 vs HD555, MS-1 and HD595 vs DT770 vs SR225
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
So I've got my MS-1 a few days ago and after having them played some music I would say that the difference (to me) against the HD437 I had before are quite small, the bass might be a little more punchy whereass the HD437 is more "muddy" but I think it's a little less bass, and overall it sounds a little more clear but not any huge differences.

I had them play some pink and white noise all night today but I haven't listened to them again after that, also I only have the comfies so far (I've ordered the HD414 pads, I assume what would be nice is maybe a little more bass and not as harsh treble... or whatever, I just think the difference are so very slim against my very cheap (248 sek) HD437s.)

The thread where someone had measures the HD595 got me intrested in the diagrams and I went over to headphone.com to learn more about how it should look to be a natural sounding headphone. (Thought they only compare frequency response and maybe not what makes phones sounds "open" or have a large soundstage and so on?)

I mostly listen to trance/techno/synth/electronic music, althougt pop might work to, such as http://www.last.fm/music/Brainpool/_/Bandstarter

Anyway, here in Sweden you can get:
k81 DJ, 790 sek (+ shipping)
SR60, 790 sek (no shipping)
HD555, 789 sek (+ shipping I think)

When the prices are like that, are there any true winner?

My MS-1 would have been 719 sek without VAT, but it ended up beeing 983 sek since it got stuck in the customs, bad buy for that amount of money compared to the others?

HD595 pro, 1283 sek (+ shipping)
DT770, 1335 sek (+ shipping)
DT990 pro, 1343 sek (+ shipping)

From what I can tell of headphone.com it seems the HD595 should be quite close what they say is natural sound, but the DT770 will have more bass and if I remember correctly more treble aswell, true? The 990 are more neutral than the 770? Any better choice? Would all of these have been a better choice and improvement over my MS-1?

SR225, 2890 sek, but maybe cheaper in the USA? (no shipping)
MS2, 2172 sek without VAT which would be 2779 if caught in customs. (no shipping)
DT880, 2326 sek (+ shipping)

These seem more neutral from headphone.coms graphs aswell (SR225 and DT880 that is), considering the DT880 is cheaper, could you find an obvious winner?

Very theoretical since I haven't listened to them but I don't know how many of them are easy to listen to. And your regular opinions might differ with the prices we have over here I suppose, so I wanted to ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
So I've got my MS-1 a few days ago and after having them played some music I would say that the difference (to me) against the HD437 I had before are quite small, the bass might be a little more punchy whereass the HD437 is more "muddy" but I think it's a little less bass, and overall it sounds a little more clear but not any huge differences.

I had them play some pink and white noise all night today but I haven't listened to them again after that, also I only have the comfies so far (I've ordered the HD414 pads, I assume what would be nice is maybe a little more bass and not as harsh treble... or whatever, I just think the difference are so very slim against my very cheap (248 sek) HD437s.)

Very interesting opinion. I am one of those who liked the HD477, so I can refer to you in such writings. Muddy doesn't always mean bad. As long as the sound stays clear enough to be enjoyable. I'd rather pick muddy treble over harsh treble anyday. And as long as you stay true to your ears, I am glad to hear such an opinion. More expensive doesn't always mean better. In this particular case, you probably should give such cans a proper tryout before you decide to keep them or not.

I won't help you on the graphs, as I do totally ignore them! For me, soundstage is what matters the most, and differenciate cheap sounding headphones from real headphones!
580smile.gif

That's my thing, I guess. That's what got me hooked into this world. And the HD555 supposedly have an even wider soundstage than the HD595! Now that's interesting! That's some serious soundstage for the money!

Sep 3, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 9
aliquis, those prices are a little higher then the US prices, but still close.

Some will say the MS-1, MS-2, or SR225 are better headphones than the others you listed, but that's a very opinionated thing. I know personally I would prefer the DT770pro and DT880 out of the ones you listed.

If you arn't very impressed with the way your MS-1 sounds, you may want to skip the MS-2 and SR225 and look at some of the others such as beyerdynamic DT770pro, DT880, AKG K601, K701. If you can find a place to listen to them, that would be the best thing to do.

You are right though, those graphs on headphone.com only show the "amount" of sound at the certain frequency, it does not show "how" it sounds.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm listening to them (MS-1) now and I just wanna say that it's not as much that they sound bad as it is that the other ones sounds almost as good
wink.gif

But I've always been impressed by how good they (HD437) sound for the small price I paid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
aliquis, those prices are a little higher then the US prices, but still close.

For which ones? The sennheisers? The grados are expensive here I think. But our 25% VAT are killing us. Quote:

Some will say the MS-1, MS-2, or SR225 are better headphones than the others you listed, but that's a very opinionated thing. I know personally I would prefer the DT770pro and DT880 out of the ones you listed.

Care to share the reasons? I think I'll go visit at store and try to listen to some sennheisers and beyerdynamics, I don't think they had AKG and they don't have Grado. Quote:

If you arn't very impressed with the way your MS-1 sounds, you may want to skip the MS-2 and SR225

I just bought the MS-1 so I don't think an upgrade is happening right now anyway
wink.gif
Quote:

and look at some of the others such as beyerdynamic DT770pro, DT880, AKG K601, K701. If you can find a place to listen to them, that would be the best thing to do.

The DT770 was 1995 sek in Sweden, but 1335 sek in Germany and I won't have any VAT or so added from Germany. K601 is 2195 from germany and K701 is 3222 from the same country (4495 in sweden...) Quote:

You are right though, those graphs on headphone.com only show the "amount" of sound at the certain frequency, it does not show "how" it sounds.

What makes the differences? How fast the membrane starts moving/stops, resonans and such?

I'll see how much the HD414 pads helps when I get them. I just wanna type some comments about how I feel the sound is before so I can compare later on, since it will be hard to remember
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
I'm listening to them (MS-1) now and I just wanna say that it's not as much that they sound bad as it is that the other ones sounds almost as good
wink.gif

Well, if you like the sound but want more refinement, then check out the higher level alessandro or grado products (although the higher grado products are really expensive where you live).

Quote:

For which ones? The sennheisers? The grados are expensive here I think. But our 25% VAT are killing us.

The senns, beyers, and alessandro's are all about the same prices. The grados are much higher. The AKG are also more money.

Quote:

Care to share the reasons?

The grado's have too much of an "in your face" sound to them (for me). Most of their headphones have too much midrange presentation for my tastes (it becomes fatiguing for me). The beyers and senn's have an eaiser sound. I don't get fatigue from them, and they are comfortable right out of the box (whereas the grado / alessandro need different pads). To me, the beyers and senn's have more of a liquid smooth sound. They also have a better sound stage which I enjoy.

Quote:

What makes the differences? How fast the membrane starts moving/stops, resonans and such?

I don't know actually. I'm sure it's the sum effect of everything, the driver, the cable, the driver chamber, and so on.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

The senns, beyers, and alessandro's are all about the same prices. The grados are much higher. The AKG are also more money.

Koss prices have fallen with like 2/3 in the last 5 years or so, and Sennheiser are probably big and mainstream enough to have decent prices everywhere. The beyers are 2000 sek here but 1300 sek from Germany, and that is probably because they are german
wink.gif
, but thanks to EU that is no problem. AKG and Grado is probably expensive because Sweden suck. Alessandros are ok because they are imported, but I had 36% of vat and custom fees added to them
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

The beyers and senn's have an eaiser sound. I don't get fatigue from them, and they are comfortable right out of the box (whereas the grado / alessandro need different pads). To me, the beyers and senn's have more of a liquid smooth sound. They also have a better sound stage which I enjoy.

I don't know actually. I'm sure it's the sum effect of everything, the driver, the cable, the driver chamber, and so on.

I think these comfies are very nice, but they might press a little to much on my glasses, but if I losen them up even more they will probably start to drop down from my ears, if I don't press the headband further against my head but I don't want it to touch
wink.gif

Atleast the sound is much different if you press your hands against the grills and make them closed ones
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 9
Grado/Alessandro are fantastic headphones IMHO, but electroninc/trance and so on are not exactly their area of expertise. They are mainly rock and metal headphones, or anything that has guitars and real bass drum rythms dominating the music.

I believe DT990 '05 version would be much better choice for your music. Or DT770 / 80 ohm or Audio Technica A900 perhaps. But then again, electronic/trance and so on isnt my expertise so...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Grado/Alessandro are fantastic headphones IMHO, but electroninc/trance and so on are not exactly their area of expertise. They are mainly rock and metal headphones, or anything that has guitars and real bass drum rythms dominating the music.

Might be why I actually appreciate stuff like:
http://www.last.fm/music/Safri+Duo/_/Rise
http://www.last.fm/music/Poets+of+the+Fall/_/Lift
played thru last.fm neighbour radio, usually I don't listen to no rock at all.
http://www.last.fm/music/Phoenix/_/I...er+Feel+Better Sounds awesome atm, tried with the HD437 and it's not as crisp/clear sound and the drums sounds more like "some kind of bass noise" than drums. Ohwell =P, HD414 pads tomorrow? Who knows. Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
I believe DT990 '05 version would be much better choice for your music. Or DT770 / 80 ohm or Audio Technica A900 perhaps. But then again, electronic/trance and so on isnt my expertise so...
smily_headphones1.gif

K, they audio-technica would probably be very hard to listen to in advance, just like these was, the Beyerdynamic is probably easy to get a hold on, thought I never understood with the pro modells had real leather on their headband or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back