k81DJ unamped + iriver t10 = loud enough?
Jul 20, 2007 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

m1k3-tets1

Head-Fier
1. KSC75 unamped + iriver t10 = loud enough for me. What about k81DJ?
2. Is k81DJ an upgrade in terms of SQ over KSC75? How do the compare?
3. What about k81DJ noise isolation compared to KSC75?
TIA

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 6
They're different. Approximately equal in "easiness to drive", so if you satisfied with t10+ksc75 volum- wise, you'll be good. Absolutely different in sound signature. Closed-decent isolation. More bass, which some may find excessive. Not as good at midrange and treble. Not so clear as ksc 75. Overall great compliment for ksc75 as second portable can-for noisy places when you want isolation or when you don't want to disturb folks around you. Ksc75 and k81 is yin-yang in your case.

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, I'm no guru like some folks here but seeing as I've been using these for a year or so:

1. They can certainly be cranked loud enough on my Sony NW-A1000. There is a noticeable threshold in the volume level before I feel it's really firing on all cylinders, but in my case this happens at a pleasant listening volume so it's no problem.

2. Dunno, lol. I've used Koss UR-40s before which apparently use KSC-75 elements and the AKGs just destroy them across the board. Except on comfort.

3. Hard to quantify. When I occasionally wear them outside I can't hear cars, just buses. So it provides car-noise worth of isolation.
tongue.gif

I don't think others hear anything while you're listening to the K81DJs.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall great compliment for ksc75 as second portable can-for noisy places when you want isolation or when you don't want to disturb folks around you. Ksc75 and k81 is yin-yang in your case.

Exactly what i'm looking for!
Thanx

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 6
In my opinion, as far as the K81DJ being an upgrade over the KSC75 really depends on what you already think of the KSC75. If you want something closer to the sound of the KSC75 you will be disappointed. The KSC75 has fair bass, forward mids, and bright highs, while the K81DJ has pretty punchy bass, somewhat recessed mids, and slightly bright highs. Also some other things to know: The K81DJ's isolate pretty good and you might want to look more into the HD485 from Sennheiser if you want something more open. The K81DJ's are also slightly uncomfortable. I can wear them for 2-3 hours but afterwards I need an ear rest. IMO the K81DJ is a good enough upgrade to justify the price in my tastes.

And I run them unamped through the iPod and they sound fine.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, as far as the K81DJ being an upgrade over the KSC75 really depends on what you already think of the KSC75. If you want something closer to the sound of the KSC75 you will be disappointed.

I do like KSC75 for the DAP, but sometimes i need more isolation...

Thank you all guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back