K81DJ, ATH-SJ5 or ATH-ES7 ?
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

michaelJ

Head-Fier
I own a pair of ATH-CK7 which I am extremely satisfied with. Now I'm looking for a pair of closed portable cans. Lurking around in this forum I've settled for one of these three.

My question is which of these phones have the best SQ?

cheers
/michael

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 6
There's a million threads on this--probably the best bet would be to do a search. Comparing the main candidates for portable closed headphones is highly subjective and at the end of the day there's no way to get a clear answer. There are people that say all three of those have the best SQ of the three.

As far as the ES7 goes the argument shifts to "should I buy these or HD25-1s?" more than the other two as they're in a different pricerange, however.

Basically K81DJ is the obvious choice and an excellent value and the others are mainly purchased to avoid being a K81DJ lemming. That doesn't mean any of these are a clear winner though--you can be happy or unhappy with any of them.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 6
ES7 all the way! Much more balanced than the K81 and more refined than the SJ5.

If you can't afford the ES7s then you have a choice. If you love lots of bass, go for the K81. If you don't love lots of bass, go for the SJ5.

To "tomjonesrocks": You (apparently) have one of the best portables, the HD25. Why are you making silly comments like that? "the others are mainly purchased" because not everyone likes the sound signature of the K81 (...bass...). Try to describe, even vaguely, the relative sound signatures of the three (if you've heard them of course), which would be a lot more helpful than searching through "a million" threads. Or at least point the OP to some comparative threads/posts. Have you tried searching for relavant info on the K81s? Its not easy, they're recommended in many threads, often with no extra description other than "they rock"...

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't afford the ES7s then you have a choice. If you love lots of bass, go for the K81. If you don't love lots of bass, go for the SJ5.

evilking, besides simply being less than the K81DJ's, how would you characterize the SJ5's bass? And the rest of the frequency spectrum?
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok. So SQ wise (ignoring cost, comfort etc.) ES7 is best and then it's a draw between K81DJ (more bassy) and SJ5?

Has any of these a sound signature that resembles my ck7's?

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 6
after a month my es7's have improved alot. The base is much deeper and the highs are in your face.

Never tried the other headphones but, i can say you will be very happy with es7's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back