K702's
Apr 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chippy99

New Head-Fier
Hi - I'm new around here so please be gentle with me!

I am thinking of getting a pair of K702's but have heard they take some considerable driving to get the best out of them.

Do you think my Benchmark DAC1-HDR is up to the job, or would I need a better headphone amp? Or be better looking at different phones?

Thanks

Chippy

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Benchmark and see no further mate, it will come to the rescue
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benchmark and see no further mate, it will come to the rescue
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I don't understand. Please can you paraphrase?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 13
The benchmark is probably one of the best DACs if not the best out there, and it 's got a really nice headphone amp also,it will probably be an overkill for your K702, but will definitely be worth getting since you would upgrade your headphones later.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks - really appreciate your thoughts.

To be clear, I already own the Dac1-HDR. I have tried a few dacs and but I really like the Benchmark. It seems to be much more tolerant of poor quality sources compared to other dacs and it produces just stunning sound from my Apple TV source, playing lossless bit-perfect CD rips.

I listen to a wide range of music - jazz, classical, rock, pop - and my personal "style" is to prefer clarity and soundstage from driving bass. So the K701/2's would seem ideal candidates.

I already own a pair of old Sennheiser HD580's which are good, but sound a bit "dull".

I think I will buy a pair of 702's and see how I get on.

Cheers and thanks again

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 13
They are indeed good for your range of music. Though if you're thinking ahead in terms of upgrades, you could go for the K701 which is easier to balance, or the K702 which has custom-made detachable single-ended cable upgrades. Pick one for your needs, and don't be like me and pick wrong and have to do some serious modding to balance a pair of K702s.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have DAC1 Pre which is supposedly a notch below HDR. It should provide you w/ ample drivin' force 702 deserves.

There is no sonic or power difference between the Pre and the HDR. It's mainly the volume control and remote.

shane

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no sonic or power difference between the Pre and the HDR. It's mainly the volume control and remote.

shane

I made no remark w.r.t. any sonic or power difference b/w the 2. A notch below implies the price differential.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made no remark w.r.t. any sonic or power difference b/w the 2. A notch below implies the price differential.

NP. "A notch below" could mean either, especially when coupled with 'supposedly'. But I obviously assumed the wrong notch.

Apologies.
icon10.gif

In this case there is no 'supposedly'. It is less expensive, and that's why I own one.

shane

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NP. "A notch below" could mean either, especially when coupled with 'supposedly'. But I obviously assumed the wrong notch.

Apologies.
icon10.gif

In this case there is no 'supposedly'. It is less expensive, and that's why I own one.

shane

I suppose you could interpret that way. Point well-taken. Cheers. :]

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The benchmark is probably one of the best DACs if not the best out there, and it 's got a really nice headphone amp also,it will probably be an overkill for your K702, but will definitely be worth getting since you would upgrade your headphones later.

most/many on these forums would consider the the amp portion of the benchmark dac to be mediocre at best. overkill for the k702? definitely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back