K702 to HD650s. Is it worth it?
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #122 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godziltw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sounds of 650s. I think 650 is not dark and veiled but warm and engaging IMHO. Also 650 is much more comfortable then K702.

Yes ,
Some people do find the AKG uncomfortable, including my wife, but they are super comfy for me.
As regards the sound, as I said earlier , it just wouldn't work if we all wanted the same women, would it ? lol

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #123 of 190
it's just headphones guys no need for the many non-sense in this thread,to the OP get hd650 if you like it keep it ,if not sell it ,I prefered the hd650 but I can understand why many will hate it and like the 701 more.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #124 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's just headphones guys no need for the many non-sense in this thread,to the OP get both and sell what you don't like,I prefered the hd650 but I can understand why many will hate it and like the 701 more.

Great advice. I bought both and sold one on. It was touch and go at one point but finally I reached a decision and haven't regretted it.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #125 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, You downgrade from K-702 to 650.

Another advice to the OP,please disregard anything Acix says or at least take it with a shower of salt and not a pinch. When it comes to this price range it purely depends on preferences and I have d5000 and hd650 and had k701 and they are in the same range and all are excellent,all of them have flaws but neither of them is say skullcandy!with the k701 I was amazed by the level of detail and airness of the presentation,with the d5000 I am amazed by their timbre and excellent but recessed mids,with the hd650 I am amazed by their lushness and warm relaxing tonality.all of them have some flaws but I will refrain myself from saying it. The same goes with universal iems,when at the $300 range,it is just preferences.

And really Acix how can you say something like that?there is a reason the hd650 is still in production for all these years you know..

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #126 of 190
Quote:

And really Acix how can you say something like that?there is a reason the hd650 is still in production for all these years you know..

Well, maybe the reason is only MONEY...many members here feel same that is downgrading from K-702 to 650. BTW, you can easy try for the K-601 if you like warm relaxing tonality, the 601 will be great with any tube too.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #127 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
As you say we are stuck with a situation where we can't say for sure what is happening. I do know that advertisers boost certain frequencies in their TV ads so that they will "seem " louder. So , you could be right.
In a sense it doesn't matter to me what is actually going on. If my brain tells me that the AKG is more detailed [for whatever reason] then I "hear " it as more detailed. As you say it may be my brain is being tricked into this but the effect is real in the sense that your end experience is what it is all about.

Perfectly sound argument as far as I'm concerned. However, I do own both and am really fascinated that with my own ears, my HD650's are able to maintain the level of detail they do without the brightness. I don't hear more details from the K702's, but instead, more accentuated details. This trait leads to stridency with some recordings. But then, the HD650's do make some recordings nigh unto muffled in sound.

I'm having a similar experience with the Grado SR325is and RS2i. Again, they are both similarly detailed to my ears, but one brighter than that other, with the brighter having more readily heard details.

The discussion would be without any disagreement if we clearly understood that one is personally hearing less details with one as opposed to the other, rather than one making the claim that a particular can is more detailed than another. The subjective side of the experience is all too often not clearly put forward, and instead, an absolute value or assessment is what comes, intended or otherwise.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #128 of 190
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
I didn't sell my own K702's. I still find them to be a super value to my current three. The tonal balance of recordings vary so much that one HP can't make them all sound as they potentially can. I find the HD650's and Ed8's to be far better all-rounders than the K702's, but once the recording is very well done, the K702's are stunning indeed. I'm way too eclectic in taste to put up with the K702's as my only cans. They make way too many recordings sound hopeless.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #129 of 190
Quote:

Hi,
In a sense it doesn't matter to me what is actually going on. If my brain tells me that the AKG is more detailed [for whatever reason] then I "hear " it as more detailed. As you say it may be my brain is being tricked into this but the effect is real in the sense that your end experience is what it is all about.

I'm not saying that you should prefer one or the other, I was trying to lay out 2 different ways of listening to music- focusing more on detail, or more on tone, and how each headphone caters to those approaches.

Of course noone listens to only one part of the spectrum, but I do think that we all have a part of the presentation that is "lead" for us so to speak, and everything else supports that.

For me, a spike in the treble makes that upper part of the spectrum too loud, and gets in the way of other things I want to hear. But for others, maybe you, it highlights your favorite part of the music, and probably sounds fantastic.

One thing I find interesting is that HD650 fans gernerally seem pretty happy to say they like a warm lush presentation. While the K701 crowd generally seems unwilling to admit the opposite coloration. Likewise, people are always called bass-heads, but no one is called a treble-head.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #130 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying that you should prefer one or the other, I was trying to lay out 2 different ways of listening to music- focusing more on detail, or more on tone, and how each headphone caters to those approaches.

Of course noone listens to only one part of the spectrum, but I do think that we all have a part of the presentation that is "lead" for us so to speak, and everything else supports that.

For me, a spike in the treble makes that upper part of the spectrum too loud, and gets in the way of other things I want to hear. But for others, maybe you, it highlights your favorite part of the music, and probably sounds fantastic.

One thing I find interesting is that HD650 fans gernerally seem pretty happy to say they like a warm lush presentation. While the K701 crowd generally seems unwilling to admit the opposite coloration. Likewise, people are always called bass-heads, but no one is called a treble-head.

Hi,
I think you may be miss interpreting where I am coming from a tad.
I think most of your observations are true but I have heard more than once that the detail of the AKG is false. The thing is that false or not it is what we hear because our brains are telling us it is so. It is pretty pointless to say the Senn has got the same detail as the AKG but you just hear more detail with the AKG. We should be saying because the brain tells you there is more detail with the Akg then that will be your experience when you listen to it beside the Senn.
As regards the bass head thing , I do use the term myself but never in a derogatory way, the same as when I call my wonderful daughter in law a Chink as she is Chinese. These terms should only be offensive when they are meant to be. I have been referred to as a detail junkie and indeed refer to myself in such terms. I have to say this part of your post is the most off course bit and I think if you reflect on it you will see it is not very accurate.
Having said that I do acknowledge that you generally talk good sense, only not on that occasion.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #131 of 190
Quote:

Hi,
I think most of your observations are true but I have heard more than once that the detail of the AKG is false. The thing is that false or not it is what we hear because our brains are telling us it is so. It is pretty pointless to say the Senn has got the same detail as the AKG but you just hear more detail with the AKG. We should be saying because the brain tells you there is more detail with the Akg then that will be your experience when you listen to it beside the Senn.
As regards the bass head thing , I do use the term myself but never in a derogatory way, the same as when I call my wonderful daughter in law a Chink as she is Chinese. These terms should only be offensive when they are meant to be. I have been referred to as a detail junkie and indeed refer to myself in such terms. I have to say this part of your post is the most off course bit and I think if you reflect on it you will see it is not very accurate.
Having said that I do acknowledge that you generally talk good sense, only not on that occasion.

When you say, 'the brain', I assume that you're referring to 'your brain' and not including mine?

BTW, rhythmdevils again, made some very good points that unfortunately doesn't seem to make much sense to you?

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #132 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say, 'the brain', I assume that you're referring to 'your brain' and not including mine?

BTW, rhythmdevils again, made some very good points that unfortunately seems to make much sense to you?

Wel I think rhythmdevils made the same point in a roundabout way.
As regards the last point of your post , yes I am referring to my brain, yours seems to be on hold as that sentence just does not make any sense at all.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #133 of 190
Quote:

Hi,

I think this analogy is wrong.I found hd650 and k701 to have the same amount of detail but it is much more apparent on the k701 because of it's weird metallic treble and bright presentation. I don't exactly understand what you mean by false details but there is no way I am going to buy that my brain is inventing details when listening to k701 that is not present in the music.
The headphone sends the signal and brain translates it and doesn't add some bass or false detail!

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #134 of 190
Quote:

Wel I think rhythmdevils made the same point in a roundabout way.
As regards the last point of your post , yes I am referring to my brain, yours seems to be on hold as that sentence just does not make any sense at all.

You're amusing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Carry on..

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #135 of 190
I just got the 650s today and I can't believe how right they are for me! It's like they were made for me...Wow, I'm not missing out anymore! I'm so glad I went with the 650s over the K702. I don't have much time to go into detail about them but maannn, they are one ****ing amazing pair of audiophiles and are definitely worth every penny I laid down on them.

I also listened to the Beyer 880s PRO BEYER DYNAMIC DT880-Pro Headphone in Corded Headphones at JR.com and really liked them as well...They actually seemed to sound better than the AH-D2000 from Denon. Very clear, detailed, punchy bass, and well built; not to mention, VERRRRY comfortable and lightweight which is a big +. I might actually consider getting a Beyer over a Denon the next time I buy another audiophile.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back