K702 good choice for college dorm?
Nov 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I have a recabled, restored and modded Sextett MP, which I like very much. However, I will be going to college in less than a year, and I don't think these will be the best choice. For one, I would be worried about something happening to the cable.

I have heard and like the K701, but I think it looks just a bit to conspicuous for a college dorm and would have a great risk of getting stolen, and it also has a permanently attached cable.

I see AKG released the new K702 which is supposed to sound the same as a K701 but has a less conspicuous color scheme and it has a detachable cable, so I ordered one from Northern Light and Sound for $260. Would the K702 be all right for a college dorm?

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Just make sure your room is secure. In my dorm, people's stuff - laptop / money / etc - get stolen even if they leave their room for 15 minutes.

I live in a single room, and I lock my door every time i leave the room.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 7
As the K701 is not overly leaky, I'd say it would be a good choice. You'd have to be listening pretty loud to disturb others.

Also the new color scheme is more stealth, and less educated non audiophiles will probably not understand their value.

BTW keep me in mind if you decide to unload the MPs. Mine are late production, and I'm curious about the MP.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see AKG released the new K702 which is supposed to sound the same as a K701 but has a less conspicuous color scheme and it has a detachable cable, so I ordered one from Northern Light and Sound for $260. Would the K702 be all right for a college dorm?

I have the k701 right now in my dorm room. I think that it really depends on how you care for the phones, your roommates, sound levels and whether you'll be having a lot of people in and out of your room. We have a pretty intimate dorm system and good security so I don't worry much about anything getting stolen. If you are going to a college with big dorms and tons of people on your floor who you don't know then I would worry about it. Even so, just make sure that you can put away your phones/ amp somewhere out of sight.

As far as people go, you would need to worry about your roommates, who will be around your phones the most. You need to trust them to be careful and not use them without permission and the such. Once again, I have no problems but this is pretty situationally specific.

As a general rule, expect things to get beat up a little more than they would other wise, but if you take precautions everything would be fine.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 7
All open headphones are going to let some sound out, it mostly depends on how loud you listen to music. I bought some K701's that should get here sometime this week as well. I have the DT880, which is an open headphone and it does let out a decent amount of noise. I can hear it from a different room faintly when its at a reasonable listening volume while a full, bassy, rock song is playing. For a non-detachable cable, make sure to be careful NOT to trip over it, and make sure to tell your roomates to be extra careful with them if you ever let them use your cans.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 7
definatly a great pair of headphones, and the amount of leakage depends on the volume at which they're playing, they have to be playing at a volume that's uncomfortable to the listener to be uncomfortable to anybody else in the room... also may not be the best choice if you'll be using them while your room make is trying to nap/sleep.

Aslong as your room is secure and you listen at comfortable volume, these are a great pair.

Maybe consider a pair of IEM's like etymotic er-4. They have a similar sound sig. to the k702, and not only isolate you from your room mate or noisey dorm, but isolate's your room mate from your music. You will be able to hear other peoples conversations in close proximity through the k702's, which may prompt you to turn the volume up louder.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Take 'em to school. Practice good security and you should be fine. If you have a roommate, you might want to have some IEM's or closed cans as well. I have a pair of AKG 701's that I might use in my private office (I also have a full stereo kit, but if my next door neighbour is in her office, I can't really blast the tunes so headphones). In class (when giving tests) or in the library, I use closed cans. I keep a pair of Grado 325i's at home and a pair of AKG 271s's so I also have the best of all worlds.

Enjoy your 702's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back