K702 - Damn.
Dec 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tdogzthmn

Sponsor: Drop
Got my K702 for X-Mas, joy! I let them burn in with some pink noise for about 10 hours then started listening to music. So far I am floored with how clear and detailed they sound. Contrary to my original beliefs I dont find the K702 to be bright or lacking in bass. My K601 has a warmer bright sound and missing the punch of the K702. As for my HD600, its a great headphone but after listing to the K702 it would be very hard to go back to the sennheisers. Also I find the K702 to be great for a gamut of genres. Its a solid performer through and through. I just wanted to give the folks at AKG some applause for crafting this wonderful headphone.

Cheers!

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 28
What kind of music are you listening to? Unamped?

You've got some of the headphones I've tried so I 'm curious about these. I can't decide between these and the Beyerdynamic DT880s....with a TTVJ Portable Millett's. I see you sold your mini-max.....unamped I guess?

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 28
Nice choice, if it was yours, man
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 28
Sounds like you would be great to ask this question.

I am inches away from ordering a set of cans and can't decide between the k70x or the k601.

Listening mostly to metal/rock/classic rock. Some other stuff thrown in.

Love detail and am not a "basshead", but a touch sibilance averse. Every now and then I find my 683's to be a tad harsh but compared to any IEM I've heard, the detail can't be beat. Listening on a Marantz 7001.

Thoughts?

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 28
People don't understand, MomijiTMO. Have to say again, that I love your setup there (Heed+701). But yeah, peoples like listenings to them headshaking bass (I don't mean the fish) and boom shaka thang. The K70x are very close to presenting the music as it should be presented, given that you don't listen to trance and want that in-the-club sensation. Pitch accuracy, coherence and balance. Ahhh the traits of the 70x's... I could join a fanclub as well. Been thinking about getting a pair for reference for a while now.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 28
The K701/K702 are very nice headphones and I have been listening to mine for a year now.

Are they flawless? No....

Very nice, but they have one flaw which I would like to eliminate in my next upgrade...

With the stock cord, they seem to de-emphasize some frequencies in the upper mid-range and treble in favour of others.... and they do not integrate the mids and the highs in the best possible way... the result is that they can sound a fraction thin/distant with the instruments like clarinets sounding smaller than life and not displaying their complete tonal texture.... The K702/K701 is very natural, but it does not FEED/NOURISH all the details it retrieves with the proper dose of 'flesh' and 'blood'...

They have enough bass/midbass.... they just present music in a transparent, yet 'subtracted' way.

But, nice phones though; I still enjoy mine!
k701smile.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Strasse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am inches away from ordering a set of cans and can't decide between the k70x or the k601.

Love detail and am not a "basshead", but a touch sibilance averse. Every now and then I find my 683's to be a tad harsh but compared to any IEM I've heard, the detail can't be beat. Listening on a Marantz 7001.

Thoughts?

Where are you located? Maybe consider emailing AKG and asking if there's a retail store near you that carries either. I know Guitar Center carried K701's which you could demo.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/K702 are very nice headphones and I have been listening to mine for a year now.

Are they flawless? No....

Very nice, but they have one flaw which I would like to eliminate in my next upgrade...

With the stock cord, they seem to de-emphasize some frequencies in the upper mid-range and treble in favour of others.... and they do not integrate the mids and the highs in the best possible way... the result is that they can sound a fraction thin/distant with the instruments like clarinets sounding smaller than life and not displaying their complete tonal texture.... The K702/K701 is very natural, but it does not FEED/NOURISH all the details it retrieves with the proper dose of 'flesh' and 'blood'...

They have enough bass/midbass.... they just present music in a transparent, yet 'subtracted' way.

But, nice phones though; I still enjoy mine!
k701smile.gif

Well said. This may be the best profile statement I have ever read in a year!

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Strasse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thoughts?

If your using a Marantz 7001 receiver, I Just got a pair of Akg k702's for Christmas and im using my Marantz 5001 receiver To amp them.

So far its pretty darn good, they been burning in for about 14hrs since Christmas morning. The bass is a little light on some songs but oddly fine on others. The treble is slightly harsh when turned up but I'm guessing the headphone needs more burn in time. Its detailed and fun and balanced on all frequencies.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy the K702. I don't find the K701 to bass light.

Now can you explain to me why people hate the K70x?

It was released as direct opposition to Sennheiser and it won: it sounds better and it is cheaper.

These things are why people hate them (even though it should be why they love them). Other people like them less because they arent typical "AKG" (because apparently AKG is k501 and K1000 and thats it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back