K701's too good for lowly Nano Usage? POLL: What should I do?
May 19, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shadowchimz

New Head-Fier
Everything I've read about the AKG K701 has made me fall in love with it, and I definitely want to be making the purchase of one in the near future. However, I primarily just listen to music directly out of my laptop, and 2 Gen Ipod Nano.

I am worrying would I need to buy an amp, or even if it's stupid to plunk out this much dough for a pair of headphones, if I'm just going to be listening to music on my iPod. (My music is ripped at good quality: V0 or 320, (some 192)) -- would I be better off getting a cheap pair of Grado's? I don't want open cans though even though I'm in desperate need of earbud replacements. Advice please!

May 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 18
Not worth it unless you intend to purchase an amp at some point -- they are really lifeless without some juice. If you never plan on upgrading your other equipment I'd recommend a cheaper headphone. If you want closed, look at the A900 or DT770/80.

May 19, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 18
You definitely need an amp for the akg k701s. I tried plugging my akg k701s into my ipod and it sounded awful. My grado 325is sounded ALOT better. So if you're not going to use an amp dont even bother getting them.

May 19, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 18
get a bithead

its an amp so it can power an ipod line out
its also a USB powered DAC/amp so you get a pretty clean sound out of your laptop

i believe they're on sale for 150 at headroom

May 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 18
Yeah, I couldn't stand to listen to my k701s out of my Shuffle w/PA2V2 on vacation recently although the RS-2s were impactful and highly entertaining with the Shuffle even w/o the PA2V2...

My advice is go either Grado or Denon and you're 80% of sound quality potential in that rig w/o an amp. The k701s are a waste perhaps 50% of their potential with a PA2V2, unlistenable to me.

Bst of luck in your decision~

May 19, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 18
are you looking to go out in public? the akg is just too weird looking in public. i tried to take mine out and got too many weird looks to be comfortable with. they sound excellent though especially with govibe amp. i can wear my grado sr-125s in public though, i am just falling out of love with the bright grado sound. i find myself using my ety6s more often in public or the stax sr-001 for more open sound.

May 19, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 18
I had the idea that I could get state of the art sound in transit by feeding my AKG K701s with an 30 gig Ipod (5th gen) line out into a Ray Samuels Hornet. Unfortunately it's not that simple. The Ipod is simply not a good enough source. For portable listening I find my Shure E500s are a far better synergistic match for my Ipod/Hornet combo or directly out of my 8 gig 2nd gen Nano. The AKGs are FAR too good for the Ipod and should be matched with the highest quality Dac you can get your hands on.

May 19, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 18
If you want to use a K701 with a source like the iPod, you should plan on doing these upgrades first, in order:
(1) Encode your music at a lossless bitrate if it isn't already
(2) Buy a line-out dock
(3) Buy an amp

Oh you might be able to tolerate your music as-is with the K701, but if you develop your hearing enough, you'll find out it's absolutely ruthless on exposing sonic faults.

I echo the suggestion for a different brand. Grado would be fine, but so would Audio-Technica!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Would an E-MU 0404 be enough for the K701? Has anyone tried that combination?

May 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the idea that I could get state of the art sound in transit by feeding my AKG K701s with an 30 gig Ipod (5th gen) line out into a Ray Samuels Hornet. Unfortunately it's not that simple. The Ipod is simply not a good enough source.

I am not any kind of a fan of Apple but I have to say I was very surprised at just how good the iPod I won from Tao's raffle really was, remember an earlier iPod was good enough to fool a room of Audiophiles at CES (2004) into thinking that it was a $20,000 CD player.

May 19, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I couldn't stand to listen to my k701s out of my Shuffle w/PA2V2 on vacation recently although the RS-2s were impactful and highly entertaining with the Shuffle even w/o the PA2V2...

My advice is go either Grado or Denon and you're 80% of sound quality potential in that rig w/o an amp. The k701s are a waste perhaps 50% of their potential with a PA2V2, unlistenable to me.

Bst of luck in your decision~

Grado maybe, but every reviewer of the Denon AH series has concluded that although they should be highly efficient, they actually need a huge crank of the volume nob to get a decently loud sound.

May 19, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to use a K701 with a source like the iPod, you should plan on doing these upgrades first, in order:
(1) Encode your music at a lossless bitrate if it isn't already
(2) Buy a line-out dock
(3) Buy an amp

Oh you might be able to tolerate your music as-is with the K701, but if you develop your hearing enough, you'll find out it's absolutely ruthless on exposing sonic faults.

I echo the suggestion for a different brand. Grado would be fine, but so would Audio-Technica!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Exactly, as well as the Grados or Dennons the ATs also are the lines to be looking into vs k701s for your application IMO
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado maybe, but every reviewer of the Denon AH series has concluded that although they should be highly efficient, they actually need a huge crank of the volume nob to get a decently loud sound.

True enough, and this is why I suggested the 80% ballpark figure as opposed to getting only perhaps 50% of the respective Headphones potential in the application of the OPs... And I do believe, from what I have read, the Denons like the Grados also will preform well enough (80% ballpark #) but sure as heck will be more appropriate outboard ampless than the k701s even with the PA2V2 granted that was w/o lineout cable... Which Asr points out above as being presupposed if an outboard amp is used going to the k701s which otherwise as I found the k701s to be a waste....

May 19, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 18
if you want the cans you want, then get them, they will suffice until you get an amp and lineout dock, and replace all your music with at least 320kbps mp3's or better. in the end, they will be worth it.

only way id say "dont get them for your ipod EDIOTE!" is if you planned to take a pair of K701's out into the world. D:

i fear for their wellbeing, ive seen firsthand what the world does to headphones. and so have you im sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back