K701's Recieved, not too overwhelmed
Aug 10, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
ups just dropped this off for me this afternoon and I hastily plugged it in for a listen. just a heads up I only got a x-fi and a PA2v2 right now(waiting on my gilmore lite). I would say that as of now, my EP-630's sound equal if not better than the 701's. I hope that with a little bit of burn in and the gilmore lite, these cans will really show their true colors. Bass with the PA2v2 is very very weak. I listened for about 10 minutes and my head started to hurt. This wasn't only from the sound, but the nub at the top of the headphone band. I don't really get why theres only one contact point from the band to my head(my head is rather large).

I think I expected a little too much when buying these cans but maybe not. As soon as my gilmore comes in Ill give another short review.

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
ups just dropped this off for me this afternoon and I hastily plugged it in for a listen. just a heads up I only got a x-fi and a PA2v2 right now(waiting on my gilmore lite). I would say that as of now, my EP-630's sound equal if not better than the 701's. I hope that with a little bit of burn in and the gilmore lite, these cans will really show their true colors. Bass with the PA2v2 is very very weak. I listened for about 10 minutes and my head started to hurt. This wasn't only from the sound, but the nub at the top of the headphone band. I don't really get why theres only one contact point from the band to my head(my head is rather large).

I think I expected a little too much when buying these cans but maybe not. As soon as my gilmore comes in Ill give another short review.

Standard advice with the K701 is to burn it in for a good 100 hours at least. Just leave it running continuously out of your sound card at slightly above normal listening level and keep coming back to it every so often.

I don't think that burn-in revolutionises the K701, having owned 2 at different points, however I do think they need a good source and amp - they are quite revealing. Regarding the bass, much of it is perception and presentation - technically, they are measured to have prodigious bass output.

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 41
Yeah, when I first got my K701, I thought my KSC75 were waaay better, so of course I was all
blink.gif
, it being my first true headphone and all.

But about 500 hours in, and if you use the combo: sound card - PA2V2 - K701, it'll sound a lot better. Like, worlds better
wink.gif

Enjoy it!

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 41
I doubt the PA2V2 would drive the K701s to their fullest, considering the price difference between the phone and amp, and also considering how hard the 701s are to drive

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 41
[size=x-small]Any system is only as good as its weakest part![/size]

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 41
I think the K701 needs at least 300 hrs burn-in. It is a good headphone with well balanced sound. But that' good and bad points, depending on listeners.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 41
The specs for the K701 are: Sensitivity of 105 dB/V, 200 mW max input, 62 ohm of impedence. These numbers come from AKG.

The PA2V2 produces 200 mW of power. I would concur it is not the most powerful, nor the best amp but it should be able to drive the K70 to painful levels. Just my opinion.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 41
Driving it to loud volumes and driving it cleanly are two different things.

I'd say the K701 does benefit from a better amp and upstream components.

The K701 isn't a bass monster, so give it a chance...you are just used to the thick tubby bass of the EP630's. I used to think my first Senn PX100's were nice and clean until I heard other/better headphones.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 41
yeah, most of your were right, I just hadnt gotten use to the different sound signature the 701's have. Listened to it a bit more and the sound stage is so wide. I still can't stand the head band though. I feel like it's the cause of the wierd/dizzy/weak feeling I get after putting them on for more than 20mins. Can't wait till my gilmore arrives so I can get the full potential outta these cans.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai
I doubt the PA2V2 would drive the K701s to their fullest, considering the price difference between the phone and amp, and also considering how hard the 701s are to drive

X2, the PA2V2 is a modest, budget, portable amplifier. It's not powering those K701s anywhere near their full-extent.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 41
Lack of dynamics, strigent high's, constricted sound space.... just to name a few.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by joojoo2915
So long as the amp is not clipping, what is the difference?

Lots of things lad, lots of things.
plainface.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 41
I would suggest being very patient with regards to the comfort level of these cans. I really disliked them at first because they were pretty uncomfortable. After a while they loosen up and get pretty comfy. Stretching them on a stack of books helps too.

Definitely wait until you get the Gilmore Lite before making any kind of conclusions about the sound. Use the highest possible quality MP3's or FLAC or some other lossless format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back