K701's price "kicked-up"
Aug 6, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

sonic32

500+ Head-Fier
Headroom just raised the price on the K701's by about $50!!! I guess supply and demand played itself out as they seem to be in short supply even still. One of the best deals in the headphone world just became a little less so.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 46
Glad I got mine - used ones will demand more money too eventually.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 46
Yea, I just noticed that today as well. Went from nearly 300$ to about 350$. Hm. I guess AKG thought they should be priced a little closer to the HD650.

I just checked a local audio store near me, and they just raised their prices 50$ on their website. Must be suggested by AKG.

Too bad, they were a good deal at 300$.

Perhapse this was done to make the K601 sell more since the K701 is no longer very close in price.

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 46
Low price was to get it into people's hands. They rave about it, favourable reviews pop up everywhere and poof the 'reintroduction to AKG' is over and the price comes back up to a more reasonable point. For all we know AKG was undercutting to increase awareness and are now comfortable with their renewed visibility so they restored the price to a profitable point.

Looking at each, the Senn 650 is more solid but between the material cost and assembly I have to imagine the AKG 701 is more expensive to manufacture than the Senn 650.

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Low price was to get it into people's hands. They rave about it, favourable reviews pop up everywhere and poof the 'reintroduction to AKG' is over and the price comes back up to a more reasonable point. For all we know AKG was undercutting to increase awareness and are now comfortable with their renewed visibility so they restored the price to a profitable point.

Looking at each, the Senn 650 is more solid but between the material cost and assembly I have to imagine the AKG 701 is more expensive to manufacture than the Senn 650.

I don't think manufucturing cost is involved here..
Either of these doesn't cost 300 to make, heck, i don't think it even costs them $100
It's all in the marketing..

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 46
Don't forget that nobody has been able to keep these in stock, either. So I'd guess some of the motivation is to slow sales down a bit so they can keep up with demand.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 46
I already have a pair of K701's, but I think $350 is worth it for them. They feel, look, and sound high-end enough imo to justify the cost increase. Of course, It would be better for others if the price stayed where it was...

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
I don't think manufucturing cost is involved here..
Either of these doesn't cost 300 to make, heck, i don't think it even costs them $100
It's all in the marketing..

I think your spot-on here.

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I already have a pair of K701's, but I think $350 is worth it for them. They feel, look, and sound high-end enough imo to justify the cost increase. Of course, It would be better for others if the price stayed where it was...

Considering the price/performance ratio of the K701's, I think they are still worth every penny too.

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
They will probably sound better at $350, IMO.

Damn! I'd better buy a pair and try them again then...

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Damn! I'd better buy a pair and try them again then...

Mercurio's gonna go broke at this rate. I recommend you get the nice amp for the K1000 (congratulations, killer system) and then get the k701. The k1000 won't sound theyr max on a cheap amp. Heve you ever owned the a900ltd's mercurio? and how did you like em if you did have em?

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009
Mercurio's gonna go broke at this rate. I recommend you get the nice amp for the K1000 (congratulations, killer system) and then get the k701. The k1000 won't sound theyr max on a cheap amp.

Hahaha. It was a joke, most people know I dislike the K701... and no amount of price increase could trick me into thinking they were this shiznit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back