K701 w/ Headroom Micro amp or something else?
Jun 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wilyodysseus

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, head-fiers. Just registered, but I've been lurking for a long time.

I recently purchased a pair of AKG k701's, and I'm finding my Total Bithead a little inadequate.

I know there have been a lot of threads concerning the components in question (and I've read them) but I haven't seen much on how the latest (2007?) HR Micro stacks-up against other currently available amps.

I'm leaning towards the HR Micro amp and DAC, but I've also looked at the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8. The thread on the v8 seems inconclusive, particularly in regards to more demanding cans like the K701. Or is there another, clearly better option in my price range?

I'm looking to spend $300-$600, but could stretch to $800 if that includes a good DAC.

Thank you all.

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi,
I would buy a used Benchmark DAC 1. It is a great dac, and a good preamp with a decent headphone amp, actually 2 amps. I have seen them for 700.00 used. I had the micro amp and dac, and then the ultra micro amp and ultra dac. I preferred the detail of the dac 1, finding the ultra combo a bit on the warm side for my taste.

good luck

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilyodysseus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, head-fiers. Just registered, but I've been lurking for a long time.

I recently purchased a pair of AKG k701's, and I'm finding my Total Bithead a little inadequate.

I know there have been a lot of threads concerning the components in question (and I've read them) but I haven't seen much on how the latest (2007?) HR Micro stacks-up against other currently available amps.

I'm leaning towards the HR Micro amp and DAC, but I've also looked at the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8. The thread on the v8 seems inconclusive, particularly in regards to more demanding cans like the K701. Or is there another, clearly better option in my price range?

I'm looking to spend $300-$600, but could stretch to $800 if that includes a good DAC.

Thank you all.

Look (very) seriously at the Headroom Portable Micro Amp/DAC. Well within your price rage, combines both the amp and DAC in one box, has all the connections you'll ever need (line in, USB and optical), plus it's portable, so you can take your music anywhere you and your laptop go.

Oh, and with its three gain settings driving the K701s is a breeze. And I should know, I've been doing just that for a while now. Plenty of power and superb sonics. Runs my K701s full as well as my Original Master Electronics stand alone headphone amp.

The only negative in the Micro series is the use of 1/8 plugs vs. 1/4 jacks. As long as that's not an issue for you, go for it.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a Micro/desktop (comparable, I believe, with the current Micro 2008) and an X-CAN v8.
IMHO the v8 is in quite another league as the Micro. Especially with difficult cans the v8 performs excellently.
I actually consider to repurchase the K701 because I think the v8 is the amp that can finally make them sound like they should. The Micro was never even adequate for the K701 IMO.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Micro/desktop (comparable, I believe, with the current Micro 2008)

Which Micro Amp do you have because I just sold off my 9V Micro/Desktop and bought a new Home (AC-Only) Micro and it was quite a noticeable difference. I was practically ready to sell off my K701 when I just tried it out on my new Micro Amp and it's fantastic, the K701 is a keeper again.

The XCan is a completely different sort of sound but I have to say it's fantastic, but to say it's in a different league is unfair to the Micro Amp. I think the Micro Amp can hold its own against the XCan. I think the Micro amp works better with the analytical sound of the K701, it has just enough warmth to keep the K701 from sounding (too) sterile. (yes I think the K701 does sound a bit sterile, it's just the AKG nature of the headphone)

I do think if one can afford a DAC1 over a Micro Stack, it would be a worthwhile upgrade, but it's hard to go wrong with the Micro stack for the price.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for all the responses. I just received the Headroom Micro Amp and Micro DAC. I'm really, really enjoying them. The Micro stack is a huge improve over the Bithead. I was afraid I wouldn't notice much of an improvement, but I had a genuine WOW moment.

I also have a X-Can v3 on the way. (I thought I wasn't going to get it, ordered the Micro, then the X-Can came through.) I'll audition them head-to head and post impressions, but at the moment I can't imagine giving-up the Micro.

John, the 3.5mm jack on the Micro is a minor annoyance, mainly because I worry about the strain it puts on the Micro's socket. I'm looking for short 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter cable. Headroom has one from Grado, but it gulls me to pay $10 shipping on a $15 item.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilyodysseus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, the 3.5mm jack on the Micro is a minor annoyance, mainly because I worry about the strain it puts on the Micro's socket. I'm looking for short 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter cable. Headroom has one from Grado, but it gulls me to pay $10 shipping on a $15 item.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. Still, knowing Headroom, they overbuild their products, so I doubt stain will be an issue.

Oh, and I'd hate to pay $10 in shipping for a $15 part. Call Grado and ask them who else carries the same thing. Maybe someone else won't be as expensive.

Glad to know you like the Micro stack. I'd consider it myself (and still may down the road) but right now I wanted portablity along with great sound. Enjoy.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks, dcpoor. I ordered two from Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back