K701 w/Darkvoice 336i & Pop/Rock w/Chick Vocals?
Oct 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I'm REALLY liking my new DV336i, even though it is still in the break-in period. The Senn HD595s sound pretty decent with it but now that I have a new amp, of course, I want new cans.

Was thinking seriously about the K601, same price range as my HD595, but now I'm thinking about spending more and really get the most out of this amp. HD650 is, for the moment, more than I'd like to spend. From what I've already gathered by reading other posts, DT880 might not be best for me. Unless someone can add something to my list of possibilities, they currently consist of HD600, K601 or K701.

As the thread title implies, I listen mainly, if not exclusively, to pop/rock/alternative/indie/euro/techno/electronica type music with mostly girl singers. My apologies to the classical lovers. I love classical too, but I know how to buy this stuff and classical is 'over my head', so to speak when it comes to shopping for it. Way too many choices/variables.

In conclusion - I want to spend ~$300 on some new cans but don't want to waste it by experimenting. Advice would be appreciated.

Note: I am prepared to spend more, if necessary, but trying to keep the cans $ amount relative to the amp $ amount, if that makes any sense.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 9
I listen to a lot of electronica/alternative/indie on my setup (336i + K701), love it.

However, some artists come trough much better than others. For example female singers like Regina Spektor, Norah Jones, Emiliana Torrini and Katie Melua are a joy to listen to. But others like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Le Tigre can be VERY tiering to listen to. Way too "noisy" and "busy" (low quality recordings?) for the K701 signature.

It's a shame really. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a great band, but I don't find myself listening to them much on this setup.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Right, this is a major concern for me. The genre of music I listen to most are people without major label deals, which may result in less than superior recordings, although most sound pretty damn good to me. This is the main reason why I would prefer not to spend mucho dinero on cans that really only shine on reference CDs. I suppose the standard (and only true) answer is for me to try it and see if I like it. Perhaps I should be asking more what to stay AWAY from. Thanks for your input...

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 9
No problem, but I urge you to audition them yourself too.
The K701 don't need reference CDs to shine but somehow they can't do all bands justice.

And btw, by "noisy" I didn't mean that there is actual noise in the recordings, it has more to do with the fact that the K710's are very analytical, which doesn't mix well with the YYY's earlier production.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 9
if you listen to a lot lower quality recordings, I would venture to suggest you stop where you are on your journey upwards in audiophile land. Forget the hardware and start enjoying the music
smily_headphones1.gif
Those bad recordings ain't going to get better the higher up you go :p

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 9
They're not necessarily 'bad' recordings. I only mention that for those here who listen mostly to classical and reference-type CDs with the gear to support it. I'm sure that what I listen to pales in comparison, recording quality wise. My tunes are very much off the shelf Redbook and I was merely trying to clarify that, although it seems I may have actually made it sound more like I prefer some dude with a fiddle playing into a tin can with string attached and another tin can and tape recorder at far end of said string.

Sometimes I feel like a NASCAR fan on this forum and tend to over-justify my musical tastes and hardware. I'd better stop now, 'cuz the more beer I drink the more ridiculous this sounds, even to me...

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Now you're talking: more beer and some good music. A good amber ale and some radiohead "in rainbows", les baxters "Caribbean Moonlight" , and grant green's "Latin Bit" here
smily_headphones1.gif

On topic though, assuming you're just looking for the right headphones to pair with that dv (nice amp, btw, considering one myself) for optimal music listening and not for the hardware collecting/experimentation, what are you looking for sound quality wise? What do the 595's not do that bothers you, and what do they do that you like?

Also, what is it that you've read about the dt880s that turn you off to them? They're really fantastic headphones for every genre you listed in my opinion (and I listen to a lot of the same stuff, and more, and the dt880s just don't fail for me).

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, this is a major concern for me. The genre of music I listen to most are people without major label deals, which may result in less than superior recordings, although most sound pretty damn good to me. This is the main reason why I would prefer not to spend mucho dinero on cans that really only shine on reference CDs. I suppose the standard (and only true) answer is for me to try it and see if I like it. Perhaps I should be asking more what to stay AWAY from. Thanks for your input...

Id definitely stay away from the K701s, if you have lots of older recordings. They are extremely analytical - and very demanding on source (stability). I use them with ss amp and am not satisfied (lifeless and distant) - but will keep them to give am another run with a tube amp (if I can afford a good one). - buy the way: do you feel the the darkvoice has brought a big difference in terms of warmth to the K701? The are WAY! to analytical for me with (a good) solid state amp. Thanks!

Id rather go with grado - very forgifing and involving I found.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 9
I felt that the 336 doesn't drive the K701 very well. All their good points are lost in this setup IMHO.
(And I liked the 336 with other(K340, for instance) headphones)

In my setup (Opus->Corda Aria) I can really enjoy yyy! and Le Tigre.

I also have SOHA which add some bass and "Fun" to the K701, but I think that the strength of the K701 is the accuracy and the soundstage that any tube amp that I heard to this point compromise(didn't heard any high-end tube amp, tough), and anyway the overall sound signature stay the same.

I can understand why it's a love-or-hate headphones, I like them with ANY(even low-quality) source, but I agree they really shine with quality materials.

I think that anyone that is thinking about buying those 'phones and anyone that have them and isn't satisfied, should listen to a well burned-in pair with an amp that drive them well, and then decide.
In the bottom line, Only your own ears can judge if they are for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back