K701 vs DT880
Dec 7, 2005 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read a lot of impressions regarding the comparsion between the K701s versus the HD650s, but I haven't seen that many details regarding the K701s when compared to the DT880s. Basically I'm down to these two phones as my choices for a Christmas present. Based on my readings, I gather that the K701 is supposed to be a bit less bright than the DT880s. But that is all I know, and I want to know more.

For example, is the K701 less bright than the DT880 in a good way? As in it doesn't sound harsh while the DT880 does? Or is it just less bright in general. Second, how does the soundstage compare between the two? I've read that the DT880 is supposed to have an absolutely incredible soundstage, and that's part of the reason why I was attracted to it originally. On the other hand, I hear that AKG products are supposed to have sweet mid-ranges.

Another thing that's important to me is comfort, because I usually listen in extended sessions (that's why harshness/sibilance is a concern for me). I will run the K701 or the DT880, whichever one I end up choosing, out of a PPX3-6CG7. So please help me get a better impression of these two phones so I can make an informed choice.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 19
I think it's wonderful that you posted this because those are the two I'm trying to decide between for my next pair of 'phones too.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 19
If my 701's ever get here (they are backordered), I would tell you. I plan to write a detailed review someday comparing the two.

I'm anticipating the 701's will fill in the perceived weakness that can be said of the 880's, namely, a bit more punch in the bass, and a bit more restraint in the treble. I anticipate they will exactly fill in the gap between the 650's and the 880's. The 880's will reveal harshness in your chain, so if your source or material is not high grade, then you'll hear some nasties in the high frequencies.

The 880's have a good expansive soundstage, as much as I can ask for in a dynamic headphone. I'm expecting the 701's to be similiar.

I do not expect the 701's to replace the 880's directly sonically, if anything I think they will sound different enough that I will keep both of them.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 19
@warpdriver:

Hmm, I think the PPX3 will be an adequate amp for both phones, but now you got me thinking about my source. I don't have a dedicated DAC, and I don't have a dedicated transport other than my computer. But I do plan on getting a DAC and a CD-player later on. From what you are saying, I'm now a bit leaning towards the K701. But I would definitely appreciate some more feedback from others.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Definitely think about your source, the resolution of the DT880 and (I'm guessing) the K701's will bring out the best or worse out of any source. I'm getting the Micro DAC to bypass my CD player DAC and soundcard. The EMU I have now is working fine as a computer source, but I think there is still room for improvement based on high end CDP DAC's I've heard before.

the signature of the DT880 is definitely on the very very slightly bright side of neutral. I think based on what I've read, the 701 will hit the mark right in the middle. The HD650's sound way too soft after coming from the 880's. I think the 880's will definitely work well with any tube amp.....even with my Micro amp, the 880's mids are very nice and the tube amps will just bring it even more into light.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, that's why I'm having a hard time deciding, because both phones are very high-performing. In the end, what might push me toward either one will probably be availability and pricing. I've called Todd and now waiting for Headroom's reply regarding their introductory pricing. And then I'll make a decision.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 19
I currently have both and hope to do comparisons soon. Unfortunately, this may not be until the week after Christmas as things are just too hectic right now. Hope I'll be able to answer some questions in the not too distant future.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
In the end, what might push me toward either one will probably be availability and pricing.

701: $400US shipped... availability-ZERO
880: $210US shipped... availability-YES

Given the 701 is ugly as sin, twice the price, FOTM and err not available it's an easy choice. You can always grab a 701 from the sale forum later at deep discount without the $ loss. If you don't like the 880, normal retail will be $270EU, you can recoup most of your cost once the new model is released.

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 19
Well, both HeadRoom and Todd are offering introductory pricing on the K701s, and neither of them have the DT880 in stock right now. So it's not as simple as you put it. But I think I probably will get the 701s from Headroom and see how I like it. If I don't like it, I can always trade it in for the DT880s later.

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 19
don't know if B&H photo has any 880's in stock now, but I purchased mine from them with no problems. 225+S&H

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 19
See up there, Meier Audio, founding sponsor, home of nice guy Jan, they have the Beyer 880, at $210 shipped to your door, available now.

I could very well be wrong but don't see intro pricing being 50% off
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
don't know if B&H photo has any 880's in stock now, but I purchased mine from them with no problems. 225+S&H

The last time I checked the B&H site the 880's were out of stock.

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Well, I'm just really tempted by the K701s, and the introductory pricing is very good from HeadRoom. And even if they turn out to be just another FOTM, I'll have enough time to have formed my own opinions and can keep them or return them and get the DT880s.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
For example, is the K701 less bright than the DT880 in a good way? As in it doesn't sound harsh while the DT880 does? Or is it just less bright in general. Second, how does the soundstage compare between the two? I've read that the DT880 is supposed to have an absolutely incredible soundstage, and that's part of the reason why I was attracted to it originally. On the other hand, I hear that AKG products are supposed to have sweet mid-ranges.

My k701 has just about 200 hours on them. I also own the dt880.

The k701 is:
- VERY airy. The music is floating in air. Almost like nothing I've ever heard. I actually didn't like it at first, but now I'm loving it.
- Soundstage is better than the dt880-- more defined and concrete.
- If you're looking for neutrality, flat response, it doesn't get any flatter than this.
- Sounds sibilant, congested before break-in. Goes away after 100+ hours or so.
- Bass does not go as deep nor as punchy as the 880.
- "less bright" is not the right phrase. I would call it "more neutral" than the 880s. Often times, the 880s sound metallic.. never with the 701s.
- mid range is much better than the 880, but does not match the k501s-- close, but no cigar.

In summary,

My first impression: "maybe I should return these."
My current impression: "these are worth every penny."

580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back