K701, the round foam doughnut
Nov 22, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
hi. I remember reading about this mod in the past. This is where the foam thing is removed from under the protective screen. it doesn't leave the drivers exposed but does remove a layer from the drivers. are there any experiences, and is this a common mod? what sound changes does it produce?

Also, if i remove the pads, can i stick them back on like the HD650, or would i have to replace them?

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 6
This is a completely reversible mod, although the cups can be finicky to remove and pop back on.

As far as I noticed, all removing the foam did was slightly hurt bass while making the highs too bright. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. After the foam is removed though, the mesh cloth sits loose instead of nice and tight.

Interesting to try, but not worth it, IMO.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 6
removed them yesterday by accident.

so far i didn't find the highs too bright, but the bass seemed to drop a smidge. i wonder if adding foam donuts to the K501s improve anything....

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 6
The sound doughnut (incidentally, a great name) seems to smooth the sound and give it more elegance for more types of music. It softens the tone, and eliminates much of the sibilance - its most significant sonic effect.. Without it, the phones can have almost a glassine sheen that can enhance the detail. I agree that the mod isn't worth it. However....

I'd like to have a fistful of these doughnuts so I can make small cuts and mold the sound closer to what I really like. They can't be that expensive.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Spinali, that's actually a really good idea. I wonder just how well "tuning" the doughnut will work out. Imagine having multiple doughnuts of varying diameters and hole circumferences for specific applications: An already great all-rounder could become the "perfect" can for just about anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back