K701 sibilant and very bright???
Nov 11, 2006 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
I had the chance to hear a new pair of K701 using a RA-1 amp (battery powered) and IPOD and thought it was very bright (sometimes piercing) and had a lot of sibilance. Is this really the characteristic of the K701? Using the same songs on a pair of Koss KSC35 and HD650 didn't sound this way at all. I appreciate your comments.

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 12
You mentioned that the K701s were new. IMHO (and in the many threads about this 'phone), the K701 takes a LOT of break-in to sound good. New 'phones do sound bright and edgy, but smooth out after 200-300 hours of use. I have put about 1000 hours on mine and they are still smoothing out (albeit just minor amounts). Give them some time. I am sure that you will like what you hear.

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Buy HD-650s for your ipod & RA1 and don't be concerned with the material or its format...

Next ;-}
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 12
IMHO, but if you think that the K701 is sibilant then its either another part of the equipment chain that's doing it, or your ears are simply geared for a more mellow sound.

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 12
I found my 701's a little harsh until about the 10 hour mark, but never bright or sibilant. Possibly an EQ setting on the iPod?

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 12
Just listened to my AKG K701s with my Xin MacroIV for the first time,w a neutral/transparent setup. They sounded great I can't wait to hear them after burn in. No shrill or harshness heard but small amount of distorted lower mids in only a few different songs(rock)could have been the source though.

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
A while ago another member and I did a simple single blind test. My 701s were new his were old. Neither of us heard much difference. That's my experience.

You have gone too far.

Shame on you for bringing in reality to destroy cherished delusions held by many posting on this site.

Any headphone needs many hours of burn in - 500 at a minimum. Doesn't matter if this does not actually improve their sound - we think it does and that thought is comforting.

I put a new pair in the oven at 125 degrees for 2 days to burn them in. Then I let them play continuously for three weeks. Makes me feel like it really improves the sound.

You also need to listen so that the front or rear of your head is facing magnetic north in order to properly align the headphone magnets.

Even better to do this in the evening when the moon is full.

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 12
i have a new pair of k701...and i actually find them quite warm. at least compared to the k501. the highs are sometimes a tad bright, but never sibilant in my experience...i'm waiting for them to burn in even more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back