K701 re-cable: what are the latest recommendations?
Feb 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
I just started using my AKG K701's yesterday; sound is o.k. (still waiting for amp to arrive), but I'm definitely not impressed by the quality of the stock cable. What are the latest options/recommendations for recabling the K701?

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 35
I recently ordered K701s with the balanced Fat Pipe (i.e.Cardas) recabling done by HeadRoom. I still have my original K701s from summer 2006 with the single-ended stock cable, which provided me with a good opportunity to compare the two. Since I'm still waiting for my balanced amp (Headamp GS-X), I'm using a SE to balanced adaptor (also from HeadRoom) to run my recabled K701s from a GS-1. So here's the scoop -- recabling DOES make a difference! (I was sort of skeptical about this). What's even more amazing is that the difference is audibly quite apparent even after less than 10 hours breakin on the recabled K701s. Compared to my very well broken-in stock K701s, the recabled K701s clearly have more refined sound in every arena including frequency response, soundstage and detail resolution -- I can only imagine what I'll hear after the usual break-in period and when I can finally use them in true balanced mode. Here's how I think the recabled K701s are an improvement -- slightly deeper and more impact in bass response, better placement of performers within soundstage which overall is deeper and wider, MUCH better resolution of detail - especially mid and high frequencies. The phones are just that more revealing and in fact seem to take on more of the characteristics I've always associated with electrostatics but with better bass. The fact that the K701s sound so much better even in SE mode after recabling suggests that the re-cable is worth the cost, even if you don't wish to go balanced. HeadRoom even offers an option of a SE recabled version of the K701s.

So my bottom line is -- definitely get your K701s recabled! The stock cable really does hold back these wonderful phones. Which cable to use is up to you - you'll find a variety of opinions if you do a search here. I happen to like the Fat Pipe balanced cable that HeadRoom offers (I believe you can send your stock K701s to them for recabling).

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 35
i have been considering a re-cable for mine for months now to try and draw out a little more bass, but have recently come to realize that these cans just needs TONS of current to drive them. since receiving the zana deux a few weeks ago i have NO problem at all with stock k701s.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 35
My order of upgrades:
Headphone -> Source -> amp -> cables -> interconnects.

I generally look at cable replacement as very last step of upgrades, as it provides least amount of upgrades for the money...

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 35
I have a max'd WA-6 that is supposed to arrive today, and a MAD HD-200 on order, so will have an opportunity to hear the K701's with a bit better amplification soon (currently just using the HP output from a Shanling SCD3000A). I'm as much concerned with the longevity of the cable with regular movement, storage, stress, etc., as I will be wearing them at work for about 10 hours a day, and I'm not necessarily gentle!

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been considering a re-cable for mine for months now to try and draw out a little more bass, but have recently come to realize that these cans just needs TONS of current to drive them. since receiving the zana deux a few weeks ago i have NO problem at all with stock k701s.

I agree that K701s are current hungry, and there's no question that these cans will not sound good otherwise. However, I do think if you're interested in extracting the very max that the K701s can deliver, then you still might want to reconsider re-cabling them. I totally agree that before even considering re-cabling, you need to have the best source and amp, since a re-cable won't help the sound much - and may even make things worse - if the upstream components are not up to the job. In this vein, I have noticed, at least with my particular set of balanced recabled K701s,, that they require even a little more current than the stock K701s. I'm pretty sure this is related to the balanced configuration itself, which I believe changes the impedence.

The greatest advantage I see in getting a better cable is not so much in boosting the bass or increasing treble response (which you really don't get that much from recabling anyway) but rather increasing the "transparency" of the K701s, whether it's better resolution of low-level detail, ability to handle transients, better placement of instruments in space, etc. -- these are the real benefits of recabling. These are also qualities that might be very hard to appreciate unless you have the best upstream equipment as well.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 35
I also have the ALO recabled K701's. I don't think the stock cable is at all bad (though it has a horrible tendency to get tangled), but to my ears there is a worthwhile difference in performance. However, you *need* to have a good enough source and amplification to reveal this. I'd advise someone considering a recable to get this area sorted first.

Cheers.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 35
Moonaudio/Blackdragon are my cables on the 701s. I wish to disagree with a previous post that puts recabling down the food chain in terms of s/q impact.
These cables completely changed the 701s presentation and really improved on
some salient weaknesses of the AKG (e.g. thin bass, etc.) I found it an excellent investment.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 35
Anyone have a recommendation for a DIY recable for the K701?

I'd love to do a recable, but have more solder/time/skill than cash
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moonaudio/Blackdragon are my cables on the 701s. I wish to disagree with a previous post that puts recabling down the food chain in terms of s/q impact.
These cables completely changed the 701s presentation and really improved on
some salient weaknesses of the AKG (e.g. thin bass, etc.) I found it an excellent investment.

Did Moonaudio do a recable on eixsting 701's or did you purchase them already recabled from them?

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 35
I just been reported by Stevenkelby that my recabled K701 is finish.
I've been waiting since last month, waiting for SAA Equinox cable to arrive.... damn they're slow... better worth it.

I'll post some impression later.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you like what the Zana does with your 701's, get yourself a pair of "Y" logo 6c33c power tubes. The difference in sound is not subtle! If you keep an eye out for them on eBay, you can still find them but they're getting scarce. They were made in the late '60's> mid '70's. The higher plate resistance increases the dampening factor and really do a number on the 701's. Usually pretty cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back