K701 or DT880s?? Your Vote goes to...
Aug 18, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neither of the two is "fun", but the K701 is more musical, and easier on your ears for long listening sessions. DT880 is easier to drive though...

Forgive my n00b question, but why is the k701 harder to drive, when it is listed as having an impendance of 62 ohms (in headphone.com) while the dt 880s are 250 ohms? So its not all about the impedance?

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my n00b question, but why is the k701 harder to drive, when it is listed as having an impendance of 62 ohms (in headphone.com) while the dt 880s are 250 ohms? So its not all about the impedance?

If I'm not mistaken, the K701's are huge current hogs.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is impedance and there is sensitivity to contend with. The impedance can be fairly resistive and constant in nature or it can be pretty reactive and vary all over the place depending upon frequency, or anywhere in between.

Sensitivity is the actual amount of "power" needed to achieve a given volume level. Some headphones are more sensitive than others. When an engineer designs a headphone, he/she makes design trade offs, say better linearity for lower sensitivity, and things like that.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #34 of 44
Had the 880's, then bought the 701's, then sold the 880's. Too bright for me and the 701's just reproduce the "space" of the original recording so well.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #35 of 44
from my own experience, you'll need best amp and source to make k701 to sing.....but even if you have that kind of source, k701 will NOT turn into a bassy can.

and if you like soundstage, k701 will make you happy!

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 44
Cardas 880s > Stock 701s in terms of detail, sweet decay and punch. I intend to have some 701s again soon though or 601s at least. Both excellent "all-around" phones. I will probably recable the AKGs when I can. The Blue Dragon 601 is a nice can.

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #37 of 44
man...this thread has me interested to hear a pair of 701's...

multiple posts indicating they have a bigger soundstage than the 880's!? christ.. .and to think i found the 880's had a massive stage compared to the senny's

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by coho66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man...this thread has me interested to hear a pair of 701's...

multiple posts indicating they have a bigger soundstage than the 880's!? christ.. .and to think i found the 880's had a massive stage compared to the senny's

Yes, the K701's have an insane soundstage

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 44
I've owned them both and sold . . . the K-701's. The AKG's do indeed have a very "big" soundstage, but it's diffuse to my ears and lacks intimacy. What I liked best about the K-701's was their midrange, which can be very pleasing on some vocals. I found the bass to be so-so. (This was primarily with a Singlepower MPX Slam, but also a Headamp GS-1)

The DT-880's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and although it's true that the bass isn't perfect, I think that the very well extended and beautifully defined treble makes up for it. I listen to them a lot less since getting Audio-Technical W5000's. I probably ought to sell the Beyers but can't bring myself to.

Anyone looking for a DT-880 amp should definitely consider the Meier Opera -- the best I've heard with that headphone.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. You've had the AD900s too if I'm not mistaken. Care to give us a comparison, muffin?
icon10.gif

muffin? lol nobody calls me that in person that's for sure. no offense taken though it would be really funny if someone did.

anyway, the AD900 isn't as comfortable and has less soundstage, more colored than either of the 880 or 701 in the mids but has the same bass slam as my 880s which have more than the stock 701s for sure but I have not heard stock 880s. Treble is not as extended on the 900 as the other two either BUT it is easiest to drive and can be made comfy with pad mods. eh, you can't really go wrong with any of them except the 701 really lacks bass slam typical of akg sound.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #41 of 44
K701 suits me best....Andre Reau, Gypsy Kings, Willie and Lobo, Flamenco, and the like.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 44
i guess i must purchase 650's now so i can post with authority ...

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess i must purchase 650's now so i can post with authority ...

650s aside, without anything listed in your profile, it's impossible to know what experience you have with headphones, if any.

How about putting some info there so we know a bit about your musical tastes, exposure to various amps and cans, etc.
orphsmile.gif
and take that illegible yellow font out of your signature. It's a waste of bandwidth and space since nobody can read it anyway.

BTW, the advice you gave in this thread was very good!

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about putting some info there so we know a bit about your musical tastes, exposure to various amps and cans, etc.

In the german forum, we have put this into a sticky long ago "Advice for new inquiries". Works quite well actually. Its somewhat good to know the gear, the budget, genres and if the poster is a dull basshead or a subtle Chopin lover.
Headfi rather runs the general low information "Hello, need new cans - suggestions please" way, where the poster consequently gets simultaneously bashed with KSC75, DT770 and K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back