K701 or DT880?
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I currently own a pair of K701 and Beresford TC-7520 DAC. I recently thought about upgrading my rig spending like $700 (shipped) for a DAC and an amp. The thing is that as I like the K701, they are pretty hard to drive properly, Beresford's amp simply sucks with them. I also want to sell Beresford changing it for something better. I actually thought about getting DAC_I and MK IV or MK V from Little Dot, but I don't think they'll be able to drive K701 (or will they?). That's why I thought about getting DAC_I, MK IV (as Beyers like OTL) and tradning my K701 for a pair of DT880. As for now, I want to get setup that will sound good enough not to worry about if something could sound better and simply enjoy the music. Also, I don't have much money to spend. Any advices?

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I use a Little Dot Mk11 to drive my AKG 701 and they are fantastic for them. If you do order the Little Dot ask David ZheZhe to tune them for the 701. You wont be disappointed. I also updated my tubes with the Russian Power tubes and Mullard 850. Very nice upgrade although they sound good with the stock tubes David supplies.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 17
If you're not married to the idea of going with tubes, the shanling PH100 can handle the 701s and is known to be a really good match for them. Not to disparage the LD amps, only the shanling is a lot less and sounds great.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not married to the idea of going with tubes, the shanling PH100 can handle the 701s and is known to be a really good match for them. Not to disparage the LD amps, only the shanling is a lot less and sounds great.

Well, I've actually never tried having a tube amp. It sounds interesting, but I'm not really convinced. Oh, and I heard about a Shanling, but as aestethics matters for me when getting this setup, I'd rather want to get a Little Dot amp to go with a DAC_I.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get setup that will sound good enough not to worry about if something could sound better

Good luck with that one
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 17
Haha, right...
biggrin.gif
No, the thing is that actually after I buy the set, I'd have to cover other expenses and, until I move to my own flat where I could get a decent speaker rig, I'd rather not spend money on audio. :p

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Well, I've actually never tried having a tube amp. It sounds interesting, but I'm not really convinced. Oh, and I heard about a Shanling, but as aestethics matters for me when getting this setup, I'd rather want to get a Little Dot amp to go with a DAC_I.

But you don't even have the DAC yet, do you? Or you have definitely decided on the DAC_I?
confused.gif

I guess I'm also confused because you say you're not convinced about having a tube amp, and yet you seem to be considering a tube amp. So just to be clear, you *are* looking for a tube amp, or are you thinking about going SS?

The shanling's not a tube amp, btw. It's unclear from you comments if you thought it was, so I thought I'd mention that.

Personally I wouldn't make an amp decision based on it "matching" a DAC in appearance, especially if I didn't even have the DAC yet.
tongue.gif
There are too many good amps (and dacs) out there to do that, imho.

I'm not even sure the LDs are a good match for the K701. I've heard some of them (MK III?) don't sound all that great with some Beyers, for example. But I don't recall having read of anything to do with 701s or the other amps, so maybe it would be fine. I just mentioned the PH100 because I have one and know it sounds good even with my DT880s, and because I have read that it sounds fantastic with K701s.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 17
The 880 is easier to drive than the 701, especially when using low powered amps.

If I'm using a weak amp or no amp at all, I'd choose the 880. If I'm using my tube amp, my preference between the two starts to even out.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

But you don't even have the DAC yet, do you? Or you have definitely decided on the DAC_I?
confused.gif

I guess I'm also confused because you say you're not convinced about having a tube amp, and yet you seem to be considering a tube amp. So just to be clear, you *are* looking for a tube amp, or are you thinking about going SS?

The shanling's not a tube amp, btw. It's unclear from you comments if you thought it was, so I thought I'd mention that.

Personally I wouldn't make an amp decision based on it "matching" a DAC in appearance, especially if I didn't even have the DAC yet.
tongue.gif
There are too many good amps (and dacs) out there to do that, imho.

I'm not even sure the LDs are a good match for the K701. I've heard some of them (MK III?) don't sound all that great with some Beyers, for example. But I don't recall having read of anything to do with 701s or the other amps, so maybe it would be fine. I just mentioned the PH100 because I have one and know it sounds good even with my DT880s, and because I have read that it sounds fantastic with K701s.

I do have a DAC - the Beresford TC-7520. The thing is that I'm going to sell it and buying something else. I don't really see many interesting DACs in that price range, I thought about getting a DAC19MK3, but after reconsidering I think it's a bit too expensive for me. So, as for now the DAC_I seems perfect for me. Yep, I know that PH100 is a SS amp. I think that both SS and tube amps has its advantages and disadvantages so I don't really care if I'm going to buy a tube or SS amp. If you've got the PH100, how does it compare to Audiotailor Jade or C-2C?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 880 is easier to drive than the 701, especially when using low powered amps.

If I'm using a weak amp or no amp at all, I'd choose the 880. If I'm using my tube amp, my preference between the two starts to even out.

And is there any considerably cheap amp you could recommend?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The way I understood it is that the DT800 has a higher impedance than the K701s, so it does better with OTL type of tube amp, while the K701 has lower impedance and so does better with more current (like the shanling) than with more voltage (like tube amps).

But like I said, I haven't researched K701 because I haven't intended to get them (yet
biggrin.gif
), I just know that the PH100 was said to be a good match for them by lots of people. Just read one of the main PH100 threads here (forgot the title) - it seems like every other post is from a K701 user who really likes the match up. Since budget is an issue, it seems almost like a no-brainer (imho).
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I do have a DAC - a Beresford TC-7520. The thing is I'm going to sell it and buying something else. I don't really see many interesting DACs in that price range, I thought about getting a DAC19MK3, but after reconsidering I think it's a bit too expensive for me. So, as for now DAC_I seems perfect for me. Yep, I know that PH100 is a SS amp. I think that both SS and tube amps has its advantages and disadvantages so I don't really care if I'm going to buy a tube or SS amp. If you've got the PH100, how does it compare to Audiotailor Jade or C-2C?

And is there any considerably cheap amp you could recommend?

The Jade beats both of them easily, imo. Unfortunately I can't use it because of some quirky thing having to do with the tubes or something else in it triggering my asthma somehow. So I decided to go SS and got the C-2C, which is fantastic as far as SS amps go. But it left me wanting in some respects, so I decided to try a PH100 (actually I thought I would get a caliente but they are hard to find now, so I got the PH100 instead). And that sounds fantastic too, but with different strengths and weaknesses than the C-2C. So now I'm having a hard time deciding between them. I might just end up keeping both, but I need a new DAC myself, so I think one of them has to go, unfortunately.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The Jade beats both of them easily, imo. Unfortunately I can't use it because of some quirky thing having to do with the tubes or something else in it triggering my asthma somehow. So I decided to go SS and got the C-2C, which is fantastic as far as SS amps go. But it left me wanting in some respects, so I decided to try a PH100 (actually I thought I would get a caliente but they are hard to find now, so I got the PH100 instead). And that sounds fantastic too, but with different strengths and weaknesses than the C-2C. So now I'm having a hard time deciding between them. I might just end up keeping both, but I need a new DAC myself, so I think one of them has to go, unfortunately.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mind writing a short comparison - what these strenghts and weaknesses are? Which one you'd tell is warmer? That's the thing my K701 needs now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Do you mind writing a short comparison - what these strenghts and weaknesses are? Which one you'd tell is warmer? That's the thing my K701 needs now.
smily_headphones1.gif

The PH100 is warmer and has better bass weight and sense of power. The C-2C has an insanely wide soundstage, and is more neutral and "transparent."

I posted impressions in this thread, there's also some MKV /K701 reviews there:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...33/index6.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back