K701 - left driver dead?
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Well, originally I just stopped getting sound of of the left can. So I found a dis-assemble tutorial and proceeded to take 'em apart. One of the wires was off it's post. I managed to get it soldered back on.

Problem being, it still doesn't work.

I took the driver out completely today and tried the wire of both channels in the cable (left pair, then right pair), because the right channel still worked. No sound.

Anyone have an idea on how a K701 driver can fail? I can see the little copper wire going from the post in to the driver so I cannot see how it can just decide not to work...

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, originally I just stopped getting sound of of the left can. So I found a dis-assemble tutorial and proceeded to take 'em apart. One of the wires was off it's post. I managed to get it soldered back on.

Problem being, it still doesn't work.

I took the driver out completely today and tried the wire of both channels in the cable (left pair, then right pair), because the right channel still worked. No sound.

Anyone have an idea on how a K701 driver can fail? I can see the little copper wire going from the post in to the driver so I cannot see how it can just decide not to work...

Typically, the hair thin copper wire that goes from the the post (or usually just a metal pad where the signal wires are soldered to) is broken. Happened to me on a pair of DT990s. I was listening to them. Put them down for 10 minutes, picked them up and one of the drivers was dead. It happens. Sounds like that is what has happened to you. Since you've got it apart, try contacting AKG and see if they will sell you a replacement driver. That or you can attempt to solder the wire together if you can find the break and it is in a spot where you can attempt a fix. That wire is just very very thin.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That or you can attempt to solder the wire together if you can find the break and it is in a spot where you can attempt a fix. That wire is just very very thin.

I cannot see a point at which the the wire is severed. If it did happen it would have to be inside the driver.

Eh I guess I will call AKG.

*EDIT*
Seems that I need to send it to 'em. Expense could run from 40 to 75 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back