K701 "lean" compared to K601?
Jun 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can break in the k701 all you want, it will still sound brighter than a k601. I have the impression of more deep bass out of the k601 too, but this might be just due to the fact I can listen to them slightly louder without fatigue.

I should add that I have owned both twice for a combined total of more than 12 months each, and listened with a variety of amps.

OK, so we can surmise that you *sold* both, twice ? I am basing this on the use of 'have owned', indicating past tense, so it may be my reading of your post.

Presumably, you sold them to finance another purchase, but its hardly a ringing endorsement that you let them go twice, particularly given the long burn-in period required in each case. Cumulatively, thats 400-600 hours of burn-in, plus the endless search for the perfect amp to drive these cans, then you sold them ? Say it isnt so ........
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so we can surmise that you *sold* both, twice ? I am basing this on the use of 'have owned', indicating past tense, so it may be my reading of your post.

Presumably, you sold them to finance another purchase, but its hardly a ringing endorsement that you let them go twice, particularly given the long burn-in period required in each case. Cumulatively, thats 400-600 hours of burn-in, plus the endless search for the perfect amp to drive these cans, then you sold them ? Say it isnt so ........
frown.gif

Well, I still have the 2nd k601
smily_headphones1.gif

It went k701->k601->k701->k601

And after a gs-1 and a M^3, I'm quite happy with the k601 out of the headphone output of a Yamaha RX-797 currently.

Then again, I listen to speakers more than headphones these days.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still quite lean and "distant-sounding" compared to the K601. Does it catch up eventually (after more burn-in) or is it always going to be a bit of a lean, not-so-warm 'phone?

I've owned the K701 twice, a new one and then later a used well burnt-in one, and currently own a K601 which I prefer. I've found that K701 was a bit bass-lean; not as warm sounding if you will (I know there will be an endless litany of, you need the right amp blah blah, but using the same equipment, the K601 had more) The K601 can be used for a lot more musical genres because of this imo. They've been the underdog of the Kxxx lineup for a while but it's nice to see they're getting more mention these days.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K601 = mid centric
K701 = bright

Being lean and "distant-sounding" is part of the magic of the K701. If that's not what you are looking for, please get something else instead.

Hard to call the K702 bright. especially after you listed to the RS-1, or even the QP-250/240. And I do like the bright sounds.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to call the K702 bright. especially after you listed to the RS-1, or even the QP-250/240. And I do like the bright sounds.

Bright is bright, you can argue that ___ is brighter but that wouldn't change the fact that the K701 is bright. It's all a preference thing, being bright is not necessarily a bad thing.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 40
Better bright than dull...

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Bright is bright, you can argue that ___ is brighter but that wouldn't change the fact that the K701 is bright. It's all a preference thing, being bright is not necessarily a bad thing.

lol, if you came from planet Senn, so yes, they are Bright.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, if you came from planet Senn, so yes, they are Bright.

According to http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/ ,

Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.

How the heck doesn't that describe the K701? It's the K701's nature, you can argue that the RS1 or whatever headphone has an even bigger emphasis on the treble, but that wouldn't change the fact that the K701 has an emphasis on the treble. And like I said 'bright' has no negative meanings, it's just a question of what presentation you are looking for.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

According to http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/ ,

Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.

How the heck doesn't that describe the K701? It's the K701's nature, you can argue that the RS1 or whatever headphone has an even bigger emphasis on the treble, but that wouldn't change the fact that the K701 has an emphasis on the treble. And like I said 'bright' has no negative meanings, it's just a question of what presentation you are looking for.

If the K702 are ''bright'' so, what the RS-1 are? super bright, ultra bright, or just sun bright. Who you will describe the brightness degrees?

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #26 of 40
Anyone who feels the 601 is 'bass light' needs to come over to my place tonight and I will 're-reducate' you. Bring beer !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #28 of 40
The 701s aren't 'bright'; they're fairly flat.

I think people find they sound 'bright' in comparison to a lot of phones that have bass/mid-range emphasis.

EDIT yikes, olblueyez have you no shame in your fight against the k701?

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #29 of 40
Just a joke, if people like the 701 that is fine. Not everyone likes the same stuff. Lots of people don't like Grados, they don't have a crusade. I think the mids on the 701's are shifted up, they highlight the highs too much and the lows not enough. The 3 parts of the music don't integrate like they should. Thats what I came away with when I had them.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #30 of 40
olblueyez, I like my MS-1s, and they are technically 'Grados', no ?

Unlike some HeadFiers, I like to think you can enjoy more than one 'house sound'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back