K701 GL Lite vs. Woo3
Jun 5, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
Let me preface this by making clear that I love my Woo3 with Sennheiser 580, 600, and 650.

I've been listening to a K701 with about 500 hours on it, and some things are wonderful, but I am having trouble getting used to it: something that I can't put my finger on is not right.

Last night, I tried pluging the K701 into the GL. Prior to that, all of my listing had been through the Woo3.

It seemed that the GL brought the K701 to life, particularly regarding low frequencies. With the Woo3, low bass that should have had growl came through as rather timid. With the GL, the growl and aggressiveness were there, similar to how it would be when using the Sennheiser's.

Anyone else notice fussiness regarding the K701 and amplifiers? Are there any amplifiers that are especially synergistic with the K701?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
It seemed that the GL brought the K701 to life, particularly regarding low frequencies. With the Woo3, low bass that should have had growl came through as rather timid. With the GL, the growl and aggressiveness were there, similar to how it would be when using the Sennheiser's.

Anyone else notice fussiness regarding the K701 and amplifiers? Are there any amplifiers that are especially synergistic with the K701?

interesting: in my experience the Woo 3 has a very good sinergy with the K701 and does produce a thundering bass! What driver tube are you using with the Woo? The stock 6A7 driver tube I found in my Woo3 , was definitely wimpier than the 7236 I have on now...

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 11
The K701s require a lot of current in order for it to sound their best, being a low-impedance and low-sensitivity pair of headphones. Speaking in generalities, OTL tube designs like the Woo3 are not optimized to drive low-impedance cans like the K701, whereas the Gilmore Lite can supply a lot of current. That could be a potential explanation for what you are hearing.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
The K701s require a lot of current in order for it to sound their best, being a low-impedance and low-sensitivity pair of headphones. Speaking in generalities, OTL tube designs like the Woo3 are not optimized to drive low-impedance cans like the K701, whereas the Gilmore Lite can supply a lot of current. That could be a potential explanation for what you are hearing.

I agree with this. My Gilmore Lite really tightened things up. I tried OTL and transformer on my Antique Sound Lab which didn't control the driver as well. The K701's need the power.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 11
jxb2, can you tell us what tubes you're using?

I find the Woo3 to be very good with my 701s, but not stellar as time goes on. Sometimes I get the impression that the music lacks a bit of sparkle, or gets bogged down during demanding passages. I have the TungSol 5998 (much higher gain than the stock GE's), and Amperex Bugle Boy 6922.

A workaround might be available from Mr Wu, which reduces the output impedance to signal tubes.

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Appreciate advice so far.

On a whim, I tried K701 with Xin Supermacro V3. Liked it better than GL Lite (SM has bass boost switch, and K701 benefited, much like Ety's, from it). SM had no difficulty whatsoever driving K701.

Has anyone tried the above.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
Appreciate advice so far.

On a whim, I tried K701 with Xin Supermacro V3. Liked it better than GL Lite (SM has bass boost switch, and K701 benefited, much like Ety's, from it). SM had no difficulty whatsoever driving K701.

Has anyone tried the above.

Yes I have and they go well together. My Supermacro III Version 6 is currently using AD8397. I have OPA2134 w/ buffers and oredered the 8620 with buffers. Can't wait to hear them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Was using Woo3 with stock tubes. Based on suggestions above, I got NOS, a Chatham Jan 5998 and two Jan 7308 orange Amperex. Expensive.

But, K701 now glorious. Bass not anemic, but hefty and well-controlled. Detail rivals the best I've heard, even at low level. High are present but very sweet and with no sign of harshness.

the Senns sound good too, but the improvement is not as dramatic as with K701.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
jxb2, can you tell us what tubes you're using?

I find the Woo3 to be very good with my 701s, but not stellar as time goes on. Sometimes I get the impression that the music lacks a bit of sparkle, or gets bogged down during demanding passages. I have the TungSol 5998 (much higher gain than the stock GE's), and Amperex Bugle Boy 6922.

A workaround might be available from Mr Wu, which reduces the output impedance to signal tubes.

i had the same experience with the woo3 and hd-650. its great for easy music, it doesnt hold-up when things get demanding. but i A/B/C the woo3 to the gilmore lite and RSA SR-71 for a week or two and i prefered the woo3, if you want to switch to solid state from the woo3 you have to consider the GS-1, HR-2, HA-2 level as the minimum, the woo3 is an outstanding value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back