K701 Clip Mod for comfort
Feb 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
When I purchased my K701 late last year, I was highly annoyed at the headband. The maximum size is way too small, definitely not for people with big noggins like me. As a result, I had to use some cable wrap to tie the adjustable headband to the white clips to make it permanently at maximum size, so as to maximise comfort on my oversized head. This solution however was highly inadequate, so I seeked a way to adjust the clips upwards.

I pleaded for help on this forum, and so came along fellow head-fier rangkasa, who coincidentally has done this mod before. He sent some instructions to me, with photos, on how to adjust the clip, so now I'll share it with you guys.

All credits go to him for teaching me how to do it. I hope it helps you guys as much as it helps me. The K701 now sits comfortably on my head; it's gone from the most uncomfortable to the most comfortable headphone I own.

Note of warning: Do be careful when adjusting the clips, they are made of very soft plastic, and if you break them there is NO REPLACEMENT. So just be patient and take your time.

From rangkasa:

Here are the tools that I used.

attachment.php

Try to pry the top clamp without taking it off.
Just try to slightly open...
This is very important, DO NOT TAKE IT OFF OR IT WILL BREAK.
You will need to pry both sides of the clamp.

attachment.php

After the clamp is slightly open, try to move the clamp up slowly.
This is the very tricky part because it is not easy to move it up.
Just be patient and do not be in a rush.

attachment.php

I was able to move the clamp up about 1/4 of an inch and that should be enough. Repeat for the left side.. and you're done!

attachment.php

Personally, I had much difficulty with this last step; I had to use a LOT of force to move the clips up.

After moving the clips up, you'll notice that the plastic rods which the white clips are attached to have deep indents on them. This is indicative of how much clamping force the clip has, so just be patient at this final step.

Once again, all credits go to rangkasa. Cheers!

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Hah, awesome! The clamps on mine are different lengths away from the phones for some odd reason... now I can fix it! (after I get 'em back from AKG anyway >_>)

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Looks interesting. Can you go into a bit more detail on how you opened the clamps without breaking them? Where do you put the exacto knife, and how do you apply force? Etc. With $300 phones, the more details, the better.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Just use the knife to pry the clip open; Don't use too much force.

Since the clip is made of soft plastic, try to spread the force evenly throughout the gap or else the plastic will be cut and it'll look pretty ugly.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Ha, too late! I cut both clips off, and used cable ties to make a lower brace on both sides below where the L and R clips slide up and down. The technique was different, but the end result is the same: the phones are now marvelously comfortable.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back