K701 burn in improvement
Jun 13, 2007 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
How much exactly does the K701 improve with around 300 hours of burn in that everyone says they need. I'm using them new with maybe a couple hours burned in and they just don't seem too much better than my stock computer speakers. I'm using them with a heed canamp, but my soundcard is some soundblaster card for a gateway computer. I think my source is a major contributer to the problem. The cans still haven't wowed me yet, so i'm wondering how much better they get. whats are your thoughts

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Yea, the K701s are the most source dependent phones ever. If you like their overall signature, hold onto them until you can upgrade. I find it silly that you got such a nice amp before a new source
biggrin.gif
Oh well, as long as you upgrade the source eventually it'll all work out.

edit: for those of you who are finicky about the wording of comments, they may not be the most source dependent headphone ever. but they certainly are probably up there
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 13
what kind of source upgrade do you have in mind xenophos?

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 13
I didn't hear any difference with burn-in TBH. Don't bank on the sound changing much after gazillion hours of so-called burn-in. Try an alternative source, or maybe you prefer the sound of your speakers? In which respects do you feel your speakers excel?

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 13
Anything less than several hundred hours of burn-in is pure b.s.
cool.gif

There! I completely negated the previous guy.

And I'm just as likely to be correct!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by avraham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything beyond a few seconds burn in time is pure BS. You just get use to the sound of the headphones over a longer period of time.

What do you base this on, Is it any scientific study? Or is it that you just have not heard it your self?

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Anything beyond a few seconds burn in time is pure BS. You just get use to the sound of the headphones over a longer period of time.

Teach me more, oh wise one!
I shall sit at your feet and learn!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif
wink.gif
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Making statements like that are pure BS.

I'm on my 3rd pair of 701's. When new they sound thin and tinny, after several hundred hours they loosen up, relax and sound much better.

Understand this part: I AM NOT getting used to the sound.

I only listen for a short time (1-2 hrs) to get an idea of how they sound fresh out of the box, then put them on the headphone jack of an old receiver and let them run for about 150-200 hrs.
I don't touch them until this is finished

After the break in, they sound much better, I've experienced it.
Do you even own a pair? From your Sig, it doesn't look like you do.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, the K701s are the most source dependent phones ever. If you like their overall signature, hold onto them until you can upgrade. I find it silly that you got such a nice amp before a new source
biggrin.gif
Oh well, as long as you upgrade the source eventually it'll all work out.

well I was going to upgrade my source around the same time as I got the amp, but things came up and I didn't have a chance to get a good source right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of source upgrade do you have in mind xenophos?

I'm thinking along the lines of a constantine DAC, or a microdac, or something in the $200-300 range. I listen out of a computer so i'm not sure how I would hook up a constantine to it.

so i guess it is my source...I was wondering what the *sparkling* highs and amazing clarity you guys were talking about meant. poor wallet =[
thanks for the replys. its good to now that they are just going to get better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 13
i notice a change for the better in all of my audio equipment, not just headphones, during the first 50 hours or so. call it what you want.

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making statements like that are pure BS.

I'm on my 3rd pair of 701's. When new they sound thin and tinny, after several hundred hours they loosen up, relax and sound much better.

Understand this part: I AM NOT getting used to the sound.

I only listen for a short time (1-2 hrs) to get an idea of how they sound fresh out of the box, then put them on the headphone jack of an old receiver and let them run for about 150-200 hrs.
I don't touch them until this is finished

After the break in, they sound much better, I've experienced it.
Do you even own a pair? From your Sig, it doesn't look like you do.

I second Todd's thought. When I first got mine (s/n 2845 so they have been around awhile) I thought they were the worst headphone purchase I had ever made. Thin, metallic and no s/q to embrace. 200+ hours later they are a different headphone: lucid, definitive and, at times, perfect. A year+ later, they remain one of my favorites; they just need a good source and a strong amp with lots of current to properly drive them. A few hours of burn in is meaningless either way; 200 hours in very meaningful in a positive way. By the way, does the poster (Avraham) who made the remark about a few hours being bs actually own 701s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back