K701 bass mod: Mission impossible?
Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any successful attempts in improving K701's bass?
I couldn't find such a thread here...
I love my k701s but the bass is just terrible for heavy metal, electronics or any pop music. Although it's tight, textured and goes deep I find it insufficient and lacking impact.
I'd like to make k701 a competitive all-rounder.
k701smile.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Plan A - EQ them. 
Any number of methods could be used: obviously digital, and then analog circuits ranging in complexity from as simple as a few resistors and a cap to "whoa-my-gosh".

Plan B - Sell them and buy K601. Apparently bass is not something you want in a flagship headphone, so they AKG kept it all in their second tier gear. Dont tell anyone I told you this. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Let me be more precise: I want to spoil the bass of k701. I agree to trade detail and tightness for QUANTITY. Not by amplification or manipulating the sources but by modding the headphones themselves.
Do you hear details in the bass when listening to live music?
confused.gif

I don't.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Do you hear details in the bass when listening to live music?
confused.gif

I don't.

No fair! Trick question. 

Details in bass are higher frequencies that are linked to the lower fundamental tone. For example the sound of one of the strings on a bass scratching on the fretboard is a scratching sound - a high frequency sound that happens in a burst every 1/40th second (or whatever it is). Distortion of an electric bass is also a high frequency tone superimposed on a low frequency. Air coming through a pipe organ, clarinet, or sax is a rush of air - higher frequencies superimposed over lower ones. Heck, the whole tone of a clarinet or sax is a harmonic distortion at a frequency HIGHER than the fundamental. 

And yes, I do hear details in the tone and textures of deep instruments in live music. All the time.

Now that that's out there, why not try bumping up the bass with an EQ? If using digital be sure to cut everything except bass least you run into digital clipping.
You may find that due to masking the details will make musical sense when the fundamental tone is played at a relatively correct volume for the riders. Just the air flowing through a baritone or bass sax would sound pretty dum without any sound below 100hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back