K701 and Total Airhead Combo
Jul 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with your assessment.

Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't intend to replace my Bithead any time soon.

Then do not, under any circumstances, listen to the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC. I speak from experience. Just ask my wallet.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually - with regard to the subject of this thread - what is everyone's take on the 701's when amped?

The better the amp, the more they rock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the bottom end? I was hoping for some "bottom end punch..."
is it just my bithead, or maybe my source? Don't get me wrong - it's a very appealing sonic signature, and I like it, but maybe is there more there that I just didn't get to hear because of my setup?

Now, I've heard they're not the most Bass-heavy can, and I suppose the ARE supposed to be a reference phone...but It was like my 32 and 64 Hz on my EQ were turned way down...

is this maybe the notorious K701 break-in time coming into effect?

anyone want to shed some light on this?

The bass will depend on the quality of the amp. As good as the TAH and TBH are with the K701s, they don't have the power supply to pull everythng out of the AKGs that those phones have to offer (after all, there's only so much you can put into an amp of that size -and Headroom has put the best they can in there). The K701s are a bit power hungry, especially when it comes to reproducing bass accurately. Move up to the Micro line and you'll be amazed at what those amps can do for the bass of the K701s. The Desk Top, Home, and Maxed Out lines will do even better.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strudel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been enjoying my Bithead greatly for the past year. The urge to upgrade occurs on occasion but I can never justify upgrading when I have zero complaints about the Bithead's sound. It is a must for anyone with a laptop, it breathes so much life into headphones vs. using the horrid integrated audio.

Truer words were never spoken (or in this case, written).

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey pirate6955,
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post, but I haven't been in this particular forum for a while, and I lost track of this thread as well. [snip!] As an example, I am probably going to upgrade to a Portable Micro Amp w/DAC as my next step as I am thrilled with the sound of my Denon AH-D1001's (Thrilled enough that I sold my K701's to get a better amplifier for my speakers.)

Regards,
Eric

eric thanks for the reply. initially i thought maybe my choice of wording may have been interpreted as offensive... cool. i have upgraded to the portable micro d/amp myself. you will love this thing. its a big step up from the bithead. and adds mucho versatility to boot. especially with the optical input which really shines out of my mac. i passed the the bithead to the kids which use it to power their speakers from their windows box. a big improvement for them there. the bithead is a great piece of kit. the crossfeed on the micro d/amp has a better top end i feel than the bithead also so i am sure you will appreciate that too.

enjoy man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back