K701 Amp for trancy music
Jan 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kosmatik

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm using Auzen Prelude as source and just recently purchased the K701s. Now I need an amp to drive them. Mostly will be listening to female vocal trance. The amp should also be fine with running it for 12 hours straight with no heat issues (I sometimes have a lot of free time) and probably make the K701s more bassy. I have a few amps I have in mind: Shanling PH100, Heed CanAmp, Head-Direct EF-1 and the M^3. My budget is around $400 and I will be getting a DAC later on. I've read a lot of threads about the K701s and the amps but I have no idea how it will sound with vocal trance as a combination.

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 9
How about a nice M3? It really brings out the best in rock, metal, trance/techno/electronic beats/younameit. If it's not wimpy music (hey, I like to listen to wimpy stuff on my tubes) then the M3 will lay it down then make love to it.

Could be hard to get an M3 and they're kinda limited and all...but see if Stephen at Rockhopper can help you. He needs to really churn these babies out, I guess their reputation developed slowly over the past few years and my tasty pictures (see sig) helped seal the deal for some people on the fence.

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 9
You say female vocal trance, I like Kaskade's new CD and anything from Goldfrapp, Sarah Mclachlan remixes on my M3 particularly well. It has the well defined intensity that my tubes lack but the vocals are not lacking in richness, and the OPA627/637 op amps I have on order should smooth things out even more.

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Your situation sounds exactly like the one that I was in a few months ago.

I am a big fan of trance music, more-so psytrance, and I had a pair of K701s. The amp that I found mated very very well with it was the Heed CanAmp. It's a solid state amplifier with a fairly simple circuit, but it manages to amplify the K701 in what I think are all the right ways. It enlarges the already excellent soundstage, and provides a large bass boost for a pair of headphones which are otherwise a bit wanting in the bass department. Given how important Bass and impact is to listening to Trance music (at least for me) I would definitely suggest trying to find a CanAmp.

They typically go for around $300 shipped on the forums second hand, although they come up sporadically so you might have to be a bit patient.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 9
With this genre, I like my Heed CanAmp with my AKG K701. I think it sounds really good together, but I dont have many other amps for reference, sorry.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 9
I didn't think the K701's would sound good with Trance music. I'm an avid lover of that genre since the millennium began. You should tell me how it sou...NO BAD FOR MY WALLET NO.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 9
So I think that it's settled, I'll be getting either the canamp or the m^3 whenever there's one for sale used on these forums, thanks for the input.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 9
There are a few really good amps for the K701s but since I mostly listen to trance, the kind of amp I'm looking for should be perfect for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back