K701, 702, Q701, HD 598 or something else?
Oct 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

mju789

New Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of headphones for roughly 250€ max. Running a Soundblaster Zx card.

So, I asked on an irc channel about this and another thread here, some said K701 isn't good for rock.
I listen to all kinds of music except classical, but most of the time rock and electronic music.

Would the K701 be good for this kind of usage? Or perhaps something else?
Push budget to K712 Pro / HD 650?

I don't know of a place where I can try headphones, but I'll keep looking.
Thanks!

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 40
I can't say anything from experience (yet) but from what I've learned the Philips Fidelio X2's are going to be your best bets.  It seems like you're a gamer (like myself), and I can say that you've picked a good sound card (I want the Z, but it doesn't work on Linux, so I'm looking at alternatives ATM).  The X2's are the new version of the X1, and the X2's have just now been released.  Depending on where you live, you might not even be able to get them.  No matter what you get, you'll be able to power it with your card, so you don't have to worry about that.  I can recommend checking out

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added

That right there.  Pretty good reviews on stuff, gives you an idea as to what you're getting.  Remember, the X2 is brand new, and it's hard to find stuff on right now, but if you're in America you can purchase it here (I will be buying it from here very soon)

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413483925&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+fidelio+x2

If you're not in America, it's a bit easier to find it for most countries.  As I said, brand new and all. 

There's a few reviews out there, but to save you the trouble, here's the differences from the X1:

Better low impedance cable, so less interference/white noise
Accommodation for larger heads
Removable ear pads
Better, more refined bass (NOT louder, more prominent, etc, but instead better in quality and effect;aka better bass experience overall)
Few other things too, but sound hasn't been changed a whole lot.  Still changes to it, but mostly the bass.

If you get the X1's, note that the top headband will not be large enough for those with rather large heads.  Plus, if you get the X1's, you're GOING to get a new cable.  The cable that comes with them has a large impedance, thus ruining the point of good audiophile grade headphones.  You can get pretty good ones for ~10 bucks from what I hear.

The Q and K 701's are known to have a sound stage "too big" at times, as it sounds fake and distant from what I've heard

The 598's are a really good choice, however their bass isn't quite there.  They're a really neutral headset, nice soundstage, but their bass loses it's.. bassyness...  It's just not punchy from what I hear. 

Whatever you get, let me know.  I'm interested to see how you like it. 

But can you do me something?  Let me know how well you like that mic that comes with the Sound Blaster Zx.  I'm getting the Z, so I won't have quite as good of a mic, but I'm getting a very similar mic to yours, therefore I am interested in it's quality.  I hear it's pretty good, and is fantastic for a freebee.  I'd really appreciate your thoughts on it.  Thanks. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 40
AKG K7xx are definitely not a great pick for the genres you've listed (same for Q701). These are great headphones for warm jazz, classical and acoustic music. (And are power hungry)

The right pick depends strongly in your preferences, the genres you've listed tend to be more engaging with good bass presence, headphones like Philips Fidelio X1, Beyerdynamic DT990, SoundMagic HP200, and Sennheiser HD650 apply here.

Fidelio X1 have dark and smooth treble, and HD650 are probably a more refined version of Fidelio X1 but harder to drive.
Beyerdynamic DT990s are bright (plenty of detail and air in the treble at the expense of sounding too bright with many modern non audiophile recordings) DT990s are at least as hard to drive as HD650.
SoundMagic HP200 based on some reviews seem to be something like a slighlty less refined HD650 but not as dark in the treble, and thus more engaging for some people; also easier to drive.

If you are after a neutralish headphone, you are better picking Beyerdynamic DT880 or Sennheiser HD600 over AKGs for the genres you've listed, but both are quite hard to drive.

You could also consider Grado SR225e, a lot of people love them for rock (these are easy to drive)

Soundblaster Zx is more suitable for headphones like SoundMagic HP200, Fidelio X1, and Grado SR225e.

There's also the AudioTechnica AD900x and the Sennheiser HD598, both are very good headphones and both easy to drive, but probably not the most engaging headphones for rock and electronic music.

Best Luck!

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 40
  I can't say anything from experience (yet) but from what I've learned the Philips Fidelio X2's are going to be your best bets.  It seems like you're a gamer (like myself), and I can say that you've picked a good sound card (I want the Z, but it doesn't work on Linux, so I'm looking at alternatives ATM).  The X2's are the new version of the X1, and the X2's have just now been released.  Depending on where you live, you might not even be able to get them.  No matter what you get, you'll be able to power it with your card, so you don't have to worry about that.  I can recommend checking out

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added

That right there.  Pretty good reviews on stuff, gives you an idea as to what you're getting.  Remember, the X2 is brand new, and it's hard to find stuff on right now, but if you're in America you can purchase it here (I will be buying it from here very soon)

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413483925&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+fidelio+x2

If you're not in America, it's a bit easier to find it for most countries.  As I said, brand new and all. 

There's a few reviews out there, but to save you the trouble, here's the differences from the X1:

Better low impedance cable, so less interference/white noise
Accommodation for larger heads
Removable ear pads
Better, more refined bass (NOT louder, more prominent, etc, but instead better in quality and effect;aka better bass experience overall)
Few other things too, but sound hasn't been changed a whole lot.  Still changes to it, but mostly the bass.

If you get the X1's, note that the top headband will not be large enough for those with rather large heads.  Plus, if you get the X1's, you're GOING to get a new cable.  The cable that comes with them has a large impedance, thus ruining the point of good audiophile grade headphones.  You can get pretty good ones for ~10 bucks from what I hear.

The Q and K 701's are known to have a sound stage "too big" at times, as it sounds fake and distant from what I've heard

The 598's are a really good choice, however their bass isn't quite there.  They're a really neutral headset, nice soundstage, but their bass loses it's.. bassyness...  It's just not punchy from what I hear. 

Whatever you get, let me know.  I'm interested to see how you like it. 

But can you do me something?  Let me know how well you like that mic that comes with the Sound Blaster Zx.  I'm getting the Z, so I won't have quite as good of a mic, but I'm getting a very similar mic to yours, therefore I am interested in it's quality.  I hear it's pretty good, and is fantastic for a freebee.  I'd really appreciate your thoughts on it.  Thanks. 

I've never had any issues with the bass on the 598s and don't really understand the people that do.  They are great for certain things but their downfall is that they are quite 'slow' sounding drivers so can sound too polite with anything fast and/or aggressive.  Super comfortable though and a correspondingly warm, liquid and enveloping sound with an impressively expansive soundstage.  I could never let them go.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 40

Thanks--but I'm not familiar with either.  Just want to know what it can properly drive.

I'm not sure it has the power to drive something like dt880pro,612pro,hd650 but it should be enough to drive something like 712pro,hp200,hd598 or even a q701.

The K 712 Pro is rated at 62 Ohms with a sensitivity rating of 105 dB.  The DT 880 Pro is 250 Ohms (any version of the DT 880 below 250 has inferior sound) and has a sensitivity rating of only 96 dB.  If his sound card can properly drive either or both of these two cans, that is where I would be looking.

Love the HD 598 for most genres, but agree that it is too slow for electronic music.  It has decent but certainly not enhanced beyond neutral bass.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 40

The K 712 Pro is rated at 62 Ohms with a sensitivity rating of 105 dB.  The DT 880 Pro is 250 Ohms (any version of the DT 880 below 250 has inferior sound) and has a sensitivity rating of only 96 dB.  If his sound card can properly drive either or both of these two cans, that is where I would be looking.

Love the HD 598 for most genres, but agree that it is too slow for electronic music.  It has decent but certainly not enhanced beyond neutral bass.

sorry. I couldn't find the SB Z/Zx headphone output power, otherwise I might be able to tell.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 40
  Still waiting to hear from OP what his sound card can drive.  If anyone else knows, please pipe in.

Sorry for my late response, as far as I know the SoundBlaster Z/Zx have a MAX97220A (Maxim integrated) as a headphone amp, based on chip specs it can output 125mW into 32 Ohm, which is just a tad more than half the power of a Fiio E07K (220mW into 32 Ohm). Not enough to make most of the 'hard to drive headphones' really shine.

AKG K7xx are power hungry despite their relative low impedance and tricky specs.
Based on innerfidelity measurements, AKG K712 needs almost twice the power that LCD-2 Rev 2 needs to reach 90dB.
K712: 1,62mW  
LCD rev 2: 0,87mW

On the other hand, much easier to drive headphones like the Sennheiser HD598 need aproximately ten times less power than AKG K7xx to reach 90dB, and are much more appealing for pairing with a SoundBlaster Z/Zx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back