K601's -- Looking for more bass
Feb 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ksween93

100+ Head-Fier
I've probably had my K601's about a year now (my first audiophile headphones, might I add) and while I'm pretty happy with them, it's always been bugging me how they are pretty lacking as far as bass. I'm sure others would agree that it's pretty detailed bass, but it lacks in quantity.

Currently I'm using a Travagan's White amp/DAC with an OPA627 opamp. Although I currently don't have the funds to fuel my next headphone shopping spree, I was just curious if anyone could give me some recommendations for an amp that might satisfy my desire for more bass impact. Since I'm just wondering for the future, I don't have any real price range (but reasonably priced amps would be nice).

Also, is there any way I can still utilize the DAC in my Travagan's if I were to buy a new amp? And even if I could somehow do that, would anyone recommend that I buy a seperate DAC anyway? And if so, are there any reasonably priced DAC's that I could pair with said headphones? Sorry for the long and semi-confusing post, it's been a while since I've been on here.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Would you be interested in a diy solution? I recently completed a CKKIII and noticed the bass on my 601's fill out quite a bit compared to my previous pro-ject headamp. Failing that a lot of people seem to like the heed canamp with them but i havent heard the combo myself.

As for the amp in question I can't comment on it's useability as i've never heard of it before.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Heed canamp has emphasis on low mids and bass and its considered very good match to akg users which need more bass.Heed amp is pretty good match with akg but not so versatile for use with other 'phones.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 6
They are very demanding headphone and i think they scale well with balanced amp :

=703&graphID[]=63&graphID[]=53]K701 vs balanced

Notice that on the graph the bass quantity improved though its not the K601 also notice that the balanced K701 have a frequency closer to the K601 when balanced.

A another solution -and dirt cheap- is to add a layer of fabric between the drivers and the pads it will give more bass and tame the bass but at the expense of clarity and soundstage.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
I was looking online, and it doesn't seem like Heed sells the Canamp straight from their website. They had an email and a website for the U.S. distributor. If I were interested would I have to buy it through this "distributor" or are there other places to buy them (other than on head-fi of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back