K601 vs K701
Apr 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

katanka

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading amongst these threads for weeks now. I have ordered a set of grado SR80's as i listen to metal/rock they will be here shortley but i would like to get another set of cans for everything else that i listen to , something that is quite neutral.

My choices were initially the Beyers DT880, but i have since decided to get either K701 or K601.

The K701 wasn't on my mind before but due to the recent price drop i am considering them, Need some good advice on either of those cans to help make up my mind. I am for some odd reason leaning toward the k601. I will probably get a Gilmore Lite for them to start of with

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 20
I havent tried. My MkIII has been sitting in the closet for some time now. VHP-2 is simply so superior as an amplifier. I have to fix its powerswitch sometime though (its limb, but in 'ON' setting luckily, all I need to do is plug it in the wall), and try using its preamplifier capabilities. Tube buffering with VHP-2 as current drive sounds interesting in theory.

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 20
i was looking at the VHP-2 amp aswell, it is a bit more than what i was budgeting for. but i am willing to stretch. Is there a real difference if i got it without VAC-1 power supply ?

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 20
Most people here would probably vote K701, but from my personal experience I would have to say K601. The K701 has better specs and techniques and everything, but my ears definetly prefer the K601. Offcourse I can't decide for your ears
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 20
what about the K601 do you prefer over the K701? I'm considering the 701 and the HD650's as my first serious set of cans (have been using mainly IEM's) and would love another viewpoint...

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 20
To be honest its just a gut feeling. I wont be able to audition them. But i just feel that perhaps the k601 is like the underdog. It will probably be very neutral. Where i can imagine the K701 being more a nit picking headphone.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 20
Hmm I don't know if its more neutral than the K701, or actually I do know and its not. The K601 has a more colored sound, but one that I prefer. I get annoyed pretty fast by the high notes, and the k601 rolls them off sooner than the 701. So the tonal balance between treble/mid and bass I definetly preferred on the 601. Also I really like a big soundstage, but the 701 is more like a stadium, and your not in the front seat. Also liked the comfort of the 601 a little bit better (but this is not a huge difference) and offcourse I saved some money to buy a good cd/dac/amp
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks for the input vvanrij

I prefer up close soundstage so hope this will be the one. I am going ahead and ordering them and hopefully i made the right choice. Initially i had wanted the Senns HD595, i actually got a change to hear them briefly unamped and i wasn't blown back then i was set on the DT880 , but now I'm pretty sure the k601's
will be the ONE. plus, they are cheap at $196

I have to say that I'm sure this forum has helped many people with making decisions, but it is a real eye opener to the many different aspects of listening to music via headphones.

what with the many different kinds of amps / dacs combo amps / mini amps...its almost nightmarish to make decision.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 20
Hmm.. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that tubes really aren't for the k601s.
I think I'd love to lay back and just watch the tubes start doing its thing, rather than stare at a big chunk of metal. Its a placebo effect definitely.. but often times, I think a placebo effect is more important than a small minute change in sound...

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that tubes really aren't for the k601s.
I think I'd love to lay back and just watch the tubes start doing its thing, rather than stare at a big chunk of metal. Its a placebo effect definitely.. but often times, I think a placebo effect is more important than a small minute change in sound...

By all means do get a tube amp. Tubes definitely do it for me and my K601. The sound is fantastic, the glow is nice and my LDMKIII is very effective at heating up the room too
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 20
K601 could work with tube amp just like with SS amp. Tube amplifier can be as neutral as SS amp can be, it just depends on design, tubes used and such. LD MkIII with stock tubes is quite neutral, not warm and full (AKA "tubey").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back