K501 triple mod - applicable to other open cans
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
As I mentioned before, K501 has lots of deep powerful bass hidden inside. It's just leaked and cancelled out by headphone construction. Leakproof cushions and a dense cloth ring bring it out, turning K501 into the bassiest open headphone:

It's easy - get as much sealing as you can. The power of bass would literally push your eyes out with such mod. This pointed me on another problem - K501 is underdampened, so:

Dampening is a bit tricky. I'm still not sure I shouldn't have used a more transparent material.
That is, I boost bass first, then dampen it down. I'm not more crazy than AKG engineers were - they took an underdampened driver and cancelled bass out, leaving it lean and uneven. With triple mod I've both tightened and deepened the bass without loosing definition (note decreased diaphragm excursion - this actually means less distortion). The only downside here is loosing openness.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to see more pics.

What exactly do you want to see? I'll probably post more once I apply whole dynamat sealing to the baffle. Still wonder if K501 can go below 30Hz
Quote:

The loss of openness scares me though.

Openness is, erm, overhyped. A bit more isolation doesn't hurt.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just pics of the finished product. The pads look huge. What type did you start with?

It looks like a K501 with huge pleather pads. I'll take a pic later - don't want to get the tripod out right now and my hands shake too much for room lighting I have. The pads are a crossover of K240/K701 pads (pleather, angled) with a touch of W5000/SR-007 sewing style.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 37
Openness is not overrated for me. My electrostatic Floats are the best headphones I own, and when I had the K501 with K501 and K601 pads, I felt the K601 pads sometimes killed too much of the air I liked.

That's some crazy modding right there, though. Cool stuff.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 37
Dampening brings the air back, just with a new pristine quality. The price paid for making dynamic cans open is bass definition. Just like K1000 works - it boosts bass but it gets lost in free air. AKG have probably started the trend with Sextett. Grado still don't use that cancelling-out baffle - and have a huge amount of fans here.
I'll probably give up dynamics and go Stax as soon as I can afford it. I don't mind a good open headphone.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 37
You won't regret it. It sounds like the Lambda is right up your alley, since it has bass which goes down to 20-25Hz, better bass definition, more natural/less aggressive sound, better treble, better transient response, and slightly different but still very good midrange.

Edit: Compared to the K501.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it has bass which goes down to 20-25Hz, better bass definition, more natural/less aggressive sound, better treble, better transient response, and slightly different but still very good midrange.

I can use your words to describe the changes from "triple mod".
icon10.gif
Probably everything is just a bit less so. How would you describe Lambda midrange? Is it colder than stock K501?

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 37
So you made those cushions your self yes?

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you made those cushions your self yes?

Yes. K601/701 pads would probably work as well and definitely look much better. Stock K501 pads are no chance.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can use your words to describe the changes from "triple mod".
icon10.gif
Probably everything is just a bit less so. How would you describe Lambda midrange? Is it colder than stock K501?

There's still a difference from the planar sound I can't explain. You could maybe say that it is somewhat colder, but it is also less in your face and also more liquid.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 37
It seems like the mod weakens mids. Since the first time I applied the center dampening circle I noticed treble increase - signature K501 smoothness got lost. Voices also bеcame funny
smily_headphones1.gif
. Prolonged listening proved that there is something wrong with midrange response.
So now the center circle has been removed and got "not recommended by Shoewreck" status. The outer dampening disc is still there and I don't plan to remove it in nearby future.
To do:
Disk sealing.
Pad smoothening and upsizing.

I begin thinking about a measurement mic to check response changes. Subjective judgement benefits from measurement confirmation.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 37
I don't dispute your pioneering spirit but why try to drastrically change something that sounds great anyway? I've tried the K701 pad change & it sounds excellent on certain recordings but it changes the sonic signature so much it's not the same headphone. One step forward followed by two steps back.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't dispute your pioneering spirit but why try to drastrically change something that sounds great anyway?

Because it sounds wrong to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back